What Helmet???

simong81
simong81 Posts: 19
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking at getting a decent helmet. I do not race and am not a professional. I do circa 100 - 150m per week at about a 16 - 17mph average.

Looking to upgrade from a simple old helmet and want a decent helmet to last. Chain Reaction are doing some great prices at the moment and I have seen the Kask Infinity for £99 and Evans have the Specialized S Works Evade for £128.

I wasn't looking for an aero helmet but these look for the money. Are these overkill for normal road riding or would you recommend one of them?

If not what would you recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    I love my Kask Mojito - a really great looking helmet that comes in some fantastic colour combinations and a helmet that doesn't look too mushroomy on your head. Very good venting and nice snug fit. I've worn a thin cap and sunglasses under it too with no issues.

The securing system is really good with a leather(ish) chin strap that doesn't irritate and a rear securing mechanism that slides down towards your neck and then can be tightened for an all-round secure and snug fit.

The foam bits inside are easy to remove, wash and refit, and the helmet itself is simple to keep clean.

It's also probably slightly cheaper than the ones you mentioned.
  • Yeah I was looking at the Mojito as well. That is currently £89.99.

This is why I am in a dilema because it is only £10 more for the infinity, but I am not sure if it is overkill for general road use.
  • Yeah I was looking at the Mojito as well. That is currently £89.99.

This is why I am in a dilema because it is only £10 more for the infinity, but I am not sure if it is overkill for general road use.

There is nothing wrong with overkill! :D
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    depending on how hot you tend to run and on budget limitations, for an all round helmet the top factors for me are:

Fit - nothing is nearly as important - if your lid is a poor fit it will drive you nuts. Only needs to be fractionally out to have this effect over several hours in the saddle.

Vents - I run hot in summer and greatly value a well vented lid. I found the Giro Aeon to be superb for this.

Weight - tend to get lighter as the price goes up - there is a real benefit to comfort keeping them as light as possible.

I really liked the look of the Mojito which as earlier poster stated is not afflicted with the mushroom profile however, it was just slightly too small and I reverted to Giro.

Looking at the semi aero helmets, they appear to compromise quite a bit on vents which would be a big issue for me - I could be wrong as I've not tried one out.

You just have to try a few helmets on to appreciate the difference in fit to suit the shape of your skull - we're all different!

Peter
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Make sure you try some in a shop. I have tried numerous helmets and find the only ones so far that consistently fit are from Giro or Specialized. Those from Kask, Rudy Project, Spuik just don't fit my head shape.
  • Not sure what you mean by a helmet to last. I believe they are recommended to be replaced at 5 years or so whatever price point! Which reminds me that I need to replace mine.
  • I was bought one of these recently for my birthday

http://www.uvex-sports.com/en/cycling/cycling-helmets/uvex-ultrasonic-race-white-black/

A brand I didn;t know much about. But I'm bowled over by how good it is. Fits really well, comfortable and its bloody light!

And since I've found out there only around £60. I honestly thought it would be twice that price.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Make sure you try some in a shop.

Yepp, agree with this. When I first tried on a few helmets I could not believe just how much fit varied between brands, models and sizes. What makes it even more complicated is that many now have quite complex adjustment mechanisms...and then when you have sorted all that out the straps make a big difference too.

I would try and pick a quiet time and then, unusually for blokes, actually ask for assistance. You don't need to spend too much, decent helmets are on the market from as little as £40, after that it is usually a case of just paying more for less!
  • DAZZ_A
    DAZZ_A Posts: 74
    Make sure you try some in a shop. I have tried numerous helmets and find the only ones so far that consistently fit are from Giro or Specialized. Those from Kask, Rudy Project, Spuik just don't fit my head shape.

I find it really hard to find any stock, where do you guys go to try the likes of Kask?

I have tried my LBS who don't stock Kask, I'm really keen on either a Mojito or an Infinty but want to check fitment first!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Don't wiggle do free returns if you're pushed ?

Another vote for the Mojito by the way - its a great helmet and I don't know why people bother with the more expensive Kasks. It was good enough for Sky anyway...
  • rumbataz
    I did a fair amount of research before I bought my Mojito. I was surprised to find the more expensive Kasks were not as highly rated in general as the Mojito and were often highly discounted.
  • As others have said, try before you buy or at least find somewhere that does free returns. I've had a Giro Savant for the last few years, tried the Mojito the other month after reading so many good things and found it uncomfortable in comparison.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    3 things I will always buy from a shop and not online.

Helmet
    Shoes
    Bib shorts
  • Yeah my LBS has both in stock, I have tried them on and both feel really comfortable. To be honest compared to my current helmet they are both a big step up from now!

My question is really going for an aero style helmet like the Kask Infinity or Specialized Evade is this a bit excessive for an average road rider? Am I better going for a non aero style helmet?
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    They're not excessive by any means, but the Infinity could prove too hot for the summer (whatever that is) and you'll end up buying a Mojito (which I have and highly recommend) further down the line anyway. I find that a medium Kask fits my head like a glove, but a medium Evade is way too narrow and can't even fit over the sides of my bonce.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yeah my LBS has both in stock, I have tried them on and both feel really comfortable. To be honest compared to my current helmet they are both a big step up from now!

My question is really going for an aero style helmet like the Kask Infinity or Specialized Evade is this a bit excessive for an average road rider? Am I better going for a non aero style helmet?

I have the Evade in black. Its a decent helmet and is noticably narrower than the Giro Atmos I wore previous. As for aero benfit I dont find any really. The Atmos was the polar opposite in design and there is no difference i can find.
  • evs78
    evs78 Posts: 133
    I've had a giro prolight for years and it's been great but just picked up a POC Octal and whilst it's a bit "marmite", I'm on the love it side of the fence. I went for the green to match up with my supersix and picked it up half price in the sale at Evans (courtesy of some birthday vouchers).
    All the gear and no idea...
  • Although a bit pricy +1 for POC Octal.

I honestly forget I'm wearing it sometimes and have to resist the urge to put my hand on my head to check!

Everyone I know who wears one loves it.
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

I really doubt you'd see any aero advantage with the Infinity. More of interest is closing the vents for cold winters. I think the Mojto is a better bet for the summer if we have one.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Try the Mojito first, on the road. it was weird for me and I had cold spots on the back section of my head and was never comfortable in it. seems my head shape isn't conducive to the kask range. tried others and they also don't seem to work for me.

I use a Giro Synthe or S works evade. both are very comfy and pretty aero and look good. have also used a prevail and that is an excellent helmet.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I don't know how good or bad the Kask Infinity is as I have never tried one (my preference at the moment is a S-Works Prevail) but if you are quick, CRC seem to have them for £100 - I got the email shot a short while ago.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • DAZZ_A
    DAZZ_A Posts: 74
    I have just ordered a Kask Mojito :D
  • +1 for the Kask Mojito. It's an awesome helmet in my opinion.

I had a couple of Giro Aeon's over the years which were fantastic helmets but gave the dreaded mushroom look.

Since buying the Kask Mojito in a medium the Mushroom look has disappeared. I also sweat quite heavily on the forehead (as I'm always pushing it :mrgreen: ) and suffered from sweat building up on my glasses, since changing to the Mojito I've noticed I get no sweat build-up on my glasses. The padding and moisture movement seems much better.

You won't regret getting the Mojito.
  • rumbataz
    For anyone thinking about a Kask Mojito, CRC are selling them for £65 at the moment. I don't know if there are variations of the Kask model but this price seems to be quite good for a Kask.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Having had a Synthe and discussed Evade with others who own them, I'm not sure I notice the lack of drag but I do notice the reduced level of wind noise in use. Looking at a Protone next.
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    I find Protone quite hot,don't know why but while wearing this helmet I cannot feel comfy.(except the fit,it fits like a glow to my head)
  • Mojito is a bargain in the black Friday list at £59
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    IMHO, aero helmets on non-racers makes the wearer look like a complete pleb/try hard/'thinks he's something' kind of person.

Plus, being aero is counter productive if you want to burn calories and keep fit.

Have a look at Lazer helmets, great quality and comfort. You can also get a clear 'aeroshell' for them, meaning it's practically invisible. It blocks most of the vents and is therefore brilliant for wet/cold days, saving you the need for a casquette.
    The above isn't a hypocritical comment by the way, as the aeroshell is see-through and not used for aerodynamics...
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    edited December 2015
    I like the S-Works Evade, Just got one. The Cycle-store was doing them cheap a while ago.
    Just checked they are still doing them for £127.99 down from £160.00