Bike just for turbo

markhewitt1978
markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
I'm getting into my turbo training recently, and I'm wondering about getting a cheap / junk bike to just use on the turbo trainer.

My thinking being that I currently have to take my bike from downstairs, up to the spare bedroom to set it up in the trainer. A dedicated bike would just stay locked in for the most part, would have gears which are properly indexed (my gears on the wheel I use for my turbo are ever so slightly out), there would be no need to swap wheels out to go outside, and perhaps most importantly an inside bike would never get any outside dirt on it!

Disadvantage I could see that the fit would likely be ever so slightly different so when I do go outside it may cause some adjustment issues.

Comments

• I'm getting into my turbo training recently, and I'm wondering about getting a cheap / junk bike to just use on the turbo trainer.

My thinking being that I currently have to take my bike from downstairs, up to the spare bedroom to set it up in the trainer. A dedicated bike would just stay locked in for the most part, would have gears which are properly indexed (my gears on the wheel I use for my turbo are ever so slightly out), there would be no need to swap wheels out to go outside, and perhaps most importantly an inside bike would never get any outside dirt on it!

Disadvantage I could see that the fit would likely be ever so slightly different so when I do go outside it may cause some adjustment issues.

An option you might consider is putting your "good bike" on the turbo and then buying a cheap winter bike such as a Triban from Decathlon to ride through the crappier months.
  • birdy247
    birdy247 Posts: 454
    I'm getting into my turbo training recently, and I'm wondering about getting a cheap / junk bike to just use on the turbo trainer.

Anything that removes an excuse not to perform your training session can only be a good thing i.e. have you ever put off a session because of moving your bike etc..?

As already mentioned, maybe use your "good" bike on the turbo, and then get something more suited to the bad weather (mudguards? etc..).

As you are experiencing, the more you turbo, the more you "get into it", especially when you start to see the benefits. Id be inclined to leave the good bike on the turbo. As the weather worsens, its likely you will spend more time on the turbo anyway.

• Anything that removes an excuse not to perform your training session can only be a good thing i.e. have you ever put off a session because of moving your bike etc..?

As already mentioned, maybe use your "good" bike on the turbo, and then get something more suited to the bad weather (mudguards? etc..).

As you are experiencing, the more you turbo, the more you "get into it", especially when you start to see the benefits. Id be inclined to leave the good bike on the turbo. As the weather worsens, its likely you will spend more time on the turbo anyway.

I haven't skipped a session because of moving the bike, but it's a bit of a novelty at the moment so setup time might become more of an issue as the winter wears on.

I have thought about getting a winter bike but the problem with that is it's then an entirely new bike, which is a much different proposition as far as the wife is concerned than buying a cheap frame to build up with spare parts!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Good bike on the turbo and then a cheap winter bike.

its a cost saving in the long run - cheaper parts to replace when grit and salt corrode them.
    Cheaper to replace if you slide it on ice.
    Cheap winter bike has full guards and saves on washing powder too.

Its win win. :-)
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    My turbo bike is my old winter bike with the pointless bits removed + turbo tyre. Never need to remove it or change wheels (not that I can, my winter bike and summer bike are disc brake)
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • I've just done the same thing. As long as you get a frame vaguely the same size and try and set it up as close as you can it shouldn't be a problem.

I got a frame off the classifieds and have built it up with bits and pieces. Only got one shifter (front is essentially single speed) as I never use small ring on the front on turbo anyway. No need for brakes etc so can be built up fairly cheaply
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    My turbo bike is my first TT bike that was made redundant when I upgraded, as I mainly ride for TTs it seemed sensible to keep it on the turbo so that I can ride through the year in the TT position. Any changes I make to the main TT bike setup get replicated as close as possible on the turbo bike.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Good bike on the turbo and then a cheap winter bike.

its a cost saving in the long run - cheaper parts to replace when grit and salt corrode them.
    Cheaper to replace if you slide it on ice.
    Cheap winter bike has full guards and saves on washing powder too.

Its win win. :-)
    I also have put my good bike on the turbo and it will stay there until next spring, as I don't want to take the good bike out on the road at this time of year. When I want to go out for a ride, I'm happy to use my light tourer or my hybrid as a winter bike.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    edited November 2015
    My turbo bike is an old steel touring frame with a fixed wheel,straight bars with bar ends. I don't use a front wheel. Forks are mounted on a frame I built from plywood and screwed rod. The handle bars are free to move in the fork stem. I think it cost less than a tenner to put it together and as extras has watts,heart rate,speed cadence readings and a fan. I prefer heavy metal music for a distraction.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    see above
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.