What's the purpose of doing a VO2 max test?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
Wondering whether to do one or not. Is it only worthwhile if I have a specific cycling goal in mind?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    What would you do with the test results?
  • on-yer-bike
    What would you do with the test results?
    Thats what Im asking I guess?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • I'd be interested to do one purely out of curiosity. Certainly in running there's a belief that that your VO2 max is a strong indicator of your running potential (i.e. what times you can achieve at certain distances when appropriately trained to your absolute peak performance) and I wouldn't be surprised if there were similar theories and formulae in cycling e.g. for TT times.

Unless the testing organisation that you're thinking of going to will offer training plans based on your test results and you're willing to follow up with subsequent test days to keep those zones in check, then I'd file it in the "nice to know" category rather than anything more. If you're actually looking at increasing performance, a much better investment would be a good power meter and structured training plan.
  • on-yer-bike
    I'd be interested to do one purely out of curiosity. Certainly in running there's a belief that that your VO2 max is a strong indicator of your running potential (i.e. what times you can achieve at certain distances when appropriately trained to your absolute peak performance) and I wouldn't be surprised if there were similar theories and formulae in cycling e.g. for TT times.

Unless the testing organisation that you're thinking of going to will offer training plans based on your test results and you're willing to follow up with subsequent test days to keep those zones in check, then I'd file it in the "nice to know" category rather than anything more. If you're actually looking at increasing performance, a much better investment would be a good power meter and structured training plan.
    £190 is a lot for the nice to know category and apparently thats cheap. I wouldnt like to know if the result was bad.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think a FTP test is more useful - but I'd not pay someone else to do it.

But if you arent serious about training - then fuggedaboutit.
  • I'd be interested to do one purely out of curiosity. Certainly in running there's a belief that that your VO2 max is a strong indicator of your running potential (i.e. what times you can achieve at certain distances when appropriately trained to your absolute peak performance) and I wouldn't be surprised if there were similar theories and formulae in cycling e.g. for TT times.

The best predictor of performance is performance itself.

VO2max isn't a particularly good indicator of potential, other than as a broad indicator, i.e. you are relatively high, average or low.

A higher VO2max does not automatically equate to better performance though as there are several other physiological attributes that also contribute to performance potential.

In studies looking at elite (e.g. state/national level) cycling, VO2max and time trial performance are poorly correlated. The correlation between TT performance and threshold power output is much stronger, which should not surprise since power output is an integral of all the underlying physiological determinants of performance potential, of which VO2max is but one.

The strongest correlation for TT performance is a rider's power to aerodynamic drag ratio (power/CdA).

When using power in training, labs tests such as VO2max and blood lactate testing are largely redundant.

If you are going to have such tests done, make sure of the quality of the lab performing the test. The results are sensitive to the quality of process and equipment used.

But if all you are going to get from such tests are HR training levels, you can pretty much work that out yourself for free with a couple of test rides. Good training plans suitable for different levels of experience, fitness, goals etc exist and don't need a VO2max test.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    What Alex said

There is a bit of discussion about lab testing in this thread
    viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=13034848&start=20