Nutrition

CyclingGee
CyclingGee Posts: 4
Hi all, I am a racing cyclist who is always keen to improve but this year I've been held back a bit by illness ( which we believe could be to do with nutrition - as I'm a vegetarian as well) So I just wondered if anyone knew of any experienced sports nutritionists in Scotland??? Any help would be massively appreciated.

Comments

• Morning!

Unfortunately I can't help with nutritionists in Scotland. However, a book called 'The Grand Tour Cookbook' has had really good reviews. It is written by the team chef of Tinkoff-Saxo and although not vegetarian, could give you some good ideas, if not at least a basis for nutrition beneficial to cyclists.

Hope this helps.

Josh.
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What illnesses? And why do you think nutrition (or lack of it) played a part?
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    Although not in Scotland , you could take a look at this guy, (been recommended as knowing his stuff by my club coach..can do consultations by phone,mail reports etc).
    caringclinic@gmail.com Brian Hampton

Or, more expensive, but top notch team In.durance (Dr Will Mangar's set up).

Good luck
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Although I'm not a vegetarian my partner is and I eat pretty much the same food as she does which means I only have meat if we eat out. Neither of us have every had any health problems related to diet and there have been plenty of Pro's who are vegetarians

Please see link to British Cycling advice for cycling and vegetarianism

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/nutrition/get-started/article/izn20150310-Intermediate-Cycling-on-a-vegetarian-or-vegan-diet-0
  • Thank you for the replies, very helpful and will definitely look into these. As I said it is massively appreciated. Been getting a cold once or twice every month but the week or two before each cold I've felt run down and not been able to train at the best of my ability. Speaking to my coach and other club members we believe it could be a nutritional thing or I'm generally just not getting enough food to fuel my efforts. Thank you for the response!
  • Have you tried something like the MyFitnessPal app? It looks at the nutrients in your food as well as a calorie counter. Also links with Strava/ Garmin
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles

• Been getting a cold once or twice every month but the week or two before each cold I've felt run down and not been able to train at the best of my ability. Speaking to my coach and other club members we believe it could be a nutritional thing or I'm generally just not getting enough food to fuel my efforts.

I'm not a qualified cycling coach, but from my experience this screams to me that you are either training too much, too intensely, not getting enough rest and recovery, or a combination of all three!
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    edited November 2015
    Thank you for the replies, very helpful and will definitely look into these. As I said it is massively appreciated. Been getting a cold once or twice every month but the week or two before each cold I've felt run down and not been able to train at the best of my ability. Speaking to my coach and other club members we believe it could be a nutritional thing or I'm generally just not getting enough food to fuel my efforts. Thank you for the response!

I was on 1200calories a day which is nowhere enough. I'm now eating 2600 calories a day with the carbs 55%, fat 30%, protein 15% and I've never eaten as little meat as I do now.

Add the fact my cycling volume has gone up and I'm feelin well fuelled with no desire to snack and I'm losing weight.

Sleep is an important aspect but despite family members catching colds I've been fine.

Listen to your body and what's it's telling you.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Thank you for the replies, very helpful and will definitely look into these. As I said it is massively appreciated. Been getting a cold once or twice every month but the week or two before each cold I've felt run down and not been able to train at the best of my ability. Speaking to my coach and other club members we believe it could be a nutritional thing or I'm generally just not getting enough food to fuel my efforts. Thank you for the response!

I was on 1200calories a day which is nowhere enough. I'm now eating 2600 calories a day with the carbs 55%, fat 30%, protein 15% and I've never eaten as little meat as I do now.

Add the fact my cycling volume has gone up and I'm feelin well fuelled with no desire to snack and I'm losing weight.

Sleep is an important aspect but despite family meter catching colds I've been fine.

This is really interesting, thank you! I understand the importance of eating more, and really fascinating to here this from someone else. It's so easy to be worried about putting weight on but it has caused more harm than good. Thanks again, really really helpful!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Another thing to watch out for is stress. Having a young family, stressful job and other very stressful life events can really run you down and reduce your performance.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Thank you for the replies, very helpful and will definitely look into these. As I said it is massively appreciated. Been getting a cold once or twice every month but the week or two before each cold I've felt run down and not been able to train at the best of my ability. Speaking to my coach and other club members we believe it could be a nutritional thing or I'm generally just not getting enough food to fuel my efforts. Thank you for the response!

Sleep is an important aspect but despite family meter catching colds I've been fine.

This is really interesting, thank you! I understand the importance of eating more, and really fascinating to here this from someone else. It's so easy to be worried about putting weight on but it has caused more harm than good. Thanks again, really really helpful!

More food isn't necessarily the answer as it's more important how the calories are made up from the extra intake?

My weight did go up initially as it takes a while for your body to adapt and I had trouble consuming so much but the weight is coming off, time on the bike has gone up by 4 hours a week and I'm feeling stronger. Ok its all relative but the only measure I have is myself!
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I used to always pick up a cold after a long bike ride or run. Now I have a smoothie straight after (as much as I can pack in) followed by bowl of porridge an hour later. All good since. Unless you're competing at a high level I'd not worry about calories - very difficult to overeat if you stick to natural whole foods.