Video Stream in Workshop

davidradar
davidradar Posts: 69
edited December 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
Just looking for some feedback really. I want to convince my LBS to install a camera in the workshop and stream the repair work that is being done on the bike. I think it is very easy to implement with the technology we have: HD cameras, fast internet..

I don't know about you but I wouldn't mind paying extra to see my carbon baby being taken care of..

Let me know what you guys think, pro's & con's. Any mechanics out there that think this is a brilliant idea?

Okay, I am revisiting this 2 years later and who really needs to see their bike being worked on... thing is the idea has filtered through to the automotive industry. Fact is I do all my work anyway. My LBS does not have a torque wrench and declined to remove a rivenut (nutsert) when I asked them to do it. I got it sorted and cringe at the thought of leaving my bike with the shoddy mechanics around here. Saying that I know there are some excellent mechanics out there, just not in my neighbourhood.
Stay positive people :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited November 2015
    Why?

If I was to take my bike to a workshop I wouldn't want to hang around and watch it on TV.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And if I was a mechanic I wouldn't want the public watching my butt crack.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would tell you to fix your own bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Bit odd...they use a similar password protected system in a local kids nursery so nervous parents can check on their kids through the day. But truthfully I never used that either.

I suppose if you love your bike that much, but I don't think there'll be many takers for it. Mechanics will probably not go for it either, never worked in a bike shop, but having worked on the tools for long enough I'd say the last thing I wanted was to have someone watching me.
    2013 Kona HeiHei - 29 Life

http://www.lakesrider.weebly.com
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I trust my local shop to look after my bike. Maybe you need to find a shop you can trust.
    If I was them I would take your request as an insult and tell you to take your business else where.
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    Hi,
    Just looking for some feedback really. I want to convince my LBS to install a camera in the workshop and stream the repair work that is being done on the bike. I think it is very easy to implement with the technology we have: HD cameras, fast internet..

I don't know about you but I wouldn't mind paying extra to see my carbon baby being taken care of..

Let me know what you guys think, pro's & con's. Any mechanics out there that think this is a brilliant idea?

Why dont you just ask if you can stay whilst they do the work ? You could even pass tools and make brews
  • Hi,

Why dont you just ask if you can stay whilst they do the work ? You could even pass tools and make brews

First step to an apprenticeship
    2013 Kona HeiHei - 29 Life

http://www.lakesrider.weebly.com
  • rockmonkeysc
    Hi,

First step to an apprenticeship

Must be good at sweeping up and taking abuse to be an apprentice.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Knowing the methods required to work on some bikes that pass through workshops, I don't think everyone will want to see what happens in there.
  • Some vehicle manufacturers have this - see Audi Cam - in their Franchisee's service centres to create transparency in a world where customer perception is poor - new discs that weren't needed etc., but mostly the customer couldnt care less and the technicians would rather not have it.

Personally, I think inviting the customer into the workshop is enough to give peace of mind that they aren't a "flog it n scarper" operation.

Otherwise I dont see what value it adds.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Knowing the methods required to work on some bikes that pass through workshops, I don't think everyone will want to see what happens in there.

true^

I work in a garrage(car mechanic), don't want anyone to watch over my shoulder for whatever reason, some times I feel that I have to take a break, a long one, just stairing the damn thing and doing nothing, so I can relax and work more efficient, why should I be somebody's reality show?

And bikes are not babies or anything close to that, Bikes are meant to be liked not loved and don't want to believe you abuse your kids for any reason or a specific manner. because bikes should :!:
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    The people who are likely to watch the video stream of their bike repair would be the sort of people who would be on the phone every time the mechanic picks up a hammer or takes two minutes to make a brew.
  • Haha, funny reading some of the paranoid comments above. Just thought it was a good idea, no I don't want to look at your bum crack. I am not your boss - take your 2 min break.
    I guess some forward thinking people would appreciate the idea - funny thing is most of the replies are what I expected. Hoping some people could see the benefits but like anything in life people look at the negatives. Not me thank god! Oh and let me know of any of the brilliant ideas you guys and girls come up with - I find innovation fascinating..
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I don't really see any paranoid comments. It's more that the naysayers know what happens in a workshop. It's why open plan workshops are a bad idea (in my opinion) too. Who would want to watch a mechanic take a dremel to a seized bearing on your 'pride and joy'?
  • Herdwick
    I don't see why someone should find watching a mechanic swearing when he gets a busted knuckle interesting and forward thinking, some days are boring to death, other times is a hell of a day but routine generally, nothing interesting or exiting to watch.
    And what exactly are the benefits of this idea that we, the primitive kind don't see here?

And I don't want to believe you asked the family doctor the same think....
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    Video stream from the proctologist?
  • Ok, looks as though they already do this in car workshops. I just found out Toyota has three cameras on every car and they record it all.. I guess they are a multinational company and can afford to do this. Look like I was beaten to the punch. I knew it was a brilliant idea. Thanks for the feedback everyone. Oh and I hope the few stuck in the dark ages move forward and embrace technology. :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    Where's the incentive for shops to invest hundreds of pounds in a webcam stream, my local shop is excellent but doesn't even have a website.
    Would you want cameras on you all day while you're working so your customers can make sure you're doing your job properly? If my employer did that I would be out the door pretty quick.
  • Herdwick
    Still you didn't tell us what are the benefits of this forward and brilliant idea, I use a camera for checking engine bays weird spot and check the cylinder wall and combustion chamber condition, gearbox checks etc, I also use a diagnostic computer that costs double the average car price plus yearly subscription and 24h help line. So tell me again that technology isn't warmly embraced...

You don't need to watch other people working because someone thought is a good idea,that is against human rights. Big companies screw their workers over in favor of some lunatic clients that think every day life is a fkn reality show. It's plain stupid. Get over it.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    Still you didn't tell us what are the benefits of this forward and brilliant idea, I use a camera for checking engine bays weird spot and check the cylinder wall and combustion chamber condition, gearbox checks etc, I also use a diagnostic computer that costs double the average car price plus yearly subscription and 24h help line. So tell me again that technology isn't warmly embraced...

You don't need to watch other people working because someone thought is a good idea,that is against human rights. Big companies screw their workers over in favor of some lunatic clients that think every day life is a fkn reality show. It's plain stupid. Get over it.

Ooh, someone's tired....

I do agree entirely though.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Oh and I hope the few stuck in the dark ages move forward and embrace technology. :)

I dont think anyone who is saying no to your idea is against technology or stuck in the dark ages.

I think they just think its a crap idea.

And they are right.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Hmm, why so serious people. Just a forum where I put out an idea. OK some see the merits while some are outright opposed. Meh, so what no big deal. But it is a big deal when people are rude to each other about it. I'm not here to convince anyone. Look all I am saying is that it is already in practice which I was not aware of and now I am. That must say something.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Youtube do a live service. It would probably require a change to the ts and cs of the employees.
  • If you've got the time to sit and watch your bike being serviced (and everyone else's as you wouldn't know when they were going to do yours) why not spend that time learning how to do the servicing yourself, then you won't have to entrust your pride and joy to some ape with a lump hammer and a tin of WD40.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    If you've got the time to sit and watch your bike being serviced (and everyone else's as you wouldn't know when they were going to do yours) why not spend that time learning how to do the servicing yourself, then you won't have to entrust your pride and joy to some ape with a lump hammer and a tin of WD40.

This ^^^^^^^^ (except the ape bit)
  • rockmonkeysc
    Hmm, why so serious people. Just a forum where I put out an idea. OK some see the merits while some are outright opposed. Meh, so what no big deal. But it is a big deal when people are rude to each other about it. I'm not here to convince anyone. Look all I am saying is that it is already in practice which I was not aware of and now I am. That must say something.

Maybe you shouldn't have accused everyone who disagreed with you of living in the dark ages and being afraid of tech.
  • Herdwick
    Maybe you shouldn't have accused everyone who disagreed with you of living in the dark ages and being afraid of tech.

And still haven't heard the positives of this idea,
    waiting here to debate and listen your thoughts on the subject.

but you seem to have an issue trusting people and sort of control freak that needs to check everything and mostly the subjects that scares you and you are the least expert at
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's an idea which will be popular with people who want to check that the mechanic is doing the work properly, although they are paying to get the work done because they can't do it themselves.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Typical Bikeradar negativity. As predictable as always. Mountain bikers must be the most miserable people on the planet. Can't decide which is the most knee jerk negative, the forms on Bikeradr or the comment sections under the product reviews at Pinkbike. And I bet every single one of you would tune in, even if just for a few minutes, if your bike was on the stand. Sure, it's nothing more than a novelty idea, but it's a good one and just adds a little something for fun.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Typical Bikeradar negativity. As predictable as always. Mountain bikers must be the most miserable people on the planet. Can't decide which is the most knee jerk negative, the forms on Bikeradr or the comment sections under the product reviews at Pinkbike. And I bet every single one of you would tune in, even if just for a few minutes, if your bike was on the stand. Sure, it's nothing more than a novelty idea, but it's a good one and just adds a little something for fun.

Surely the only reason to tune in is if you don't trust your bike mechanic to do a good job or charge you correctly for his time spent. And if you have that little trust in them its probably time to find a new shop. Or to check out what biscuits they eat if you want to take them a treat.

Maybe as my bike has never been in a bike shop I don't understand the sense of loss and bewilderment felt by those suddenly cut off from their babies.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.