Is this forum doomed?

finchy
finchy Posts: 6,686
edited November 2015 in The cake stop
Looking at the recent topics in CS, BB, Pro Race, etc., it's quite noticeable that there are fewer and fewer participants than in the old days, and most people who do post have been on here for ages. It took me quite a time to find a post by someone who joined after 2013. So as some members stop posting and there is little in the way of fresh blood, will the BR forums fade away, or will a hard core of (keyboard) warriors keep the glowing embers alive for years to come?

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    It's been heading that way for a while and I don't see some of the "competitions" for half arsed prizes driving traffic either.

Arguably we get the forum we make/ deserve so it's reliant on the content posted by members..... :shock:

They'll always be a ebb and flow and maybe the winter weather will increase traffic and posts?
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    I'm relatively new to cycling and this forum, but was a regular (and moderator) on a golf forum for many years. If I had a pound for every "this forum is going downhill" type thread, I'd have £78. I suspect it's an inevitable thread that will pop up on any forum.

To my eye, this forum is vibrant and thriving. I can't hark back to the old days, but if you browse on the New Posts view it takes several pages to go back 24 hours. That's a healthy forum surely?
  • finchy
    I'm relatively new to cycling and this forum, but was a regular (and moderator) on a golf forum for many years. If I had a pound for every "this forum is going downhill" type thread, I'd have £78. I suspect it's an inevitable thread that will pop up on any forum.

To my eye, this forum is vibrant and thriving. I can't hark back to the old days, but if you browse on the New Posts view it takes several pages to go back 24 hours. That's a healthy forum surely?

Go back and look at threads from a few years ago. You had far more contributors, and like I say, it is the lack of newer posters which makes me think it's on the decline. Any, welcome to the forum. Hope you help to save it.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    I've wondered the same thing recently. Not just about BR but forums in general.

I suspect it has something to do with the rise in facebook groups.
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    Conversely, I think a busy forum with what looks like a bunch of posters who know each other very well can put off new members from posting.

Is there a rival forum that is on the rise?
  • finchy
    Conversely, I think a busy forum with what looks like a bunch of posters who know each other very well can put off new members from posting.

The answer is most likely in the post above yours. Why bother joining a forum when you're on facebook and can just join a cycling group on there?
  • Someone needs to resurrect the apathy thread - if they can be bothered
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770

If you check out the Pro Race their seems to be a hardcore on there that regularly post and will only comment to each other. If an 'outsider' contributes it is very rarely met with any response.
    I would also say this is true of other threads ie; 'Caption Competition' on BB where there are only half a dozen regulars whose apparent amusing comments are only directed at each other and the 'winner' is only selected from that group. Sorry chaps but it's true.

Perhaps the forum has in some sense evolved into online friendships where certain members congregate and new members feel somewhat marginalised.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032

If you check out the Pro Race their seems to be a hardcore on there that regularly post and will only comment to each other. If an 'outsider' contributes it is very rarely met with any response.
    I would also say this is true of other threads ie; 'Caption Competition' on BB where there are only half a dozen regulars whose apparent amusing comments are only directed at each other and the 'winner' is only selected from that group. Sorry chaps but it's true.

Perhaps the forum has in some sense evolved into online friendships where certain members congregate and new members feel somewhat marginalised.

just like some cycling clubs then? :lol:
  • mr_goo

just like some cycling clubs then? :lol:

Don't know, not a member of one. However used to ride out on a Saturday group from Christchurch and that started to get like it. Must be me, perhaps people hate me. OMG! I'm unpopular.......
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,413

I'd agree with pro race being fairly unwelcoming for any newcomer but disagree with BB being unfriendly. A new poster invariably gets a reply, particularly from our beloved leader Mr P. Members don't generally reply to other posts in the daily threads, some people's days are so boring! With the regards to the caption comp, with some of the pictures it's easier to relate an insult to a fellow member than think of something original and someone prone to an almighty flounce, Mr "I'm not posting on here ever again." Goo, probably takes themselves to seriously to be funny :P
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    In our defence, we ve lost our resident idiot in PR now so it's a bit more normal

It is the off season though so the wackjobs do rise to the surface...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Someone needs to resurrect the apathy thread - if they can be bothered

You see, you see, I'm being ignored again :lol:

I tend to stick to word association in BB - never failed to get a response to my posts there :? Also you can get yourself a respectful post count with the minimum of effort
  • Yes. On the plus side, I have added to my post count :D
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • mr_goo

I'd agree with pro race being fairly unwelcoming for any newcomer but disagree with BB being unfriendly. A new poster invariably gets a reply, particularly from our beloved leader Mr P. Members don't generally reply to other posts in the daily threads, some people's days are so boring! With the regards to the caption comp, with some of the pictures it's easier to relate an insult to a fellow member than think of something original and someone prone to an almighty flounce, Mr "I'm not posting on here ever again." Goo, probably takes themselves to seriously to be funny :P

Never said it was BB was unwelcoming. Merely observed that there is a group who regularly interact with each other........... Oh please, please let me play!
  • seanoconn
    In our defence, we ve lost our resident idiot in PR now so it's a bit more normal

Imagine being on the final banned list of an idiot :wink:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    :lol::lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • seanoconn

Never said it was BB was unwelcoming. Merely observed that there is a group who regularly interact with each other........... Oh please, please let me play!
    If you promise not to get your petticoat in a twist again you can play.
  • mr_goo

Your avatar has reminded me of something.
  • seanoconn

Your avatar has reminded me of something.
    Halloween???
  • Facebook is no substitute. I'm on the Zwift group on facebook which is really busy but the way facebook arranges things is just annoying, a forum is much easier to use.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552

I was on that, thankfully.
  • McStumpy[/url]

I hang around on Velorooms quite a bit but that's not massive traffic.

Maybe people like to think more and post less?

Sometimes that isn't a bad thing !
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,326
    [Must be me, perhaps people hate me. OMG! I'm unpopular.......
    So dress up like your avatar and give the local yoof sweets tomorrow, instant popularity. :mrgreen:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355

If you... ie; 'Caption Competition' on BB where there are only half a dozen regulars whose apparent amusing comments are only directed at each other and the 'winner' is only selected from that group. Sorry chaps but it's true.

Perhap...marginalised.

I'd...funny :P

Perhaps you're just not insulting us enough? Don't cry boohoo Goo, get stuck in ya bampot.

FWIW, Flaneur, lostboysaint, City girl have all come in at a late date and slotted in quite nicely. As far as the caption competition goes - you are either not funny enough or you haven't paid me any royalties. I suspect it is the latter. Keep trying. turn up regularly and become a fixture. All major credit cards and paypal payments accepted.

The best way to increase your post count without recourse is to post in Po Face. Everyone ignores you so you can just about say anything you like. Workshop is dominated by a handful of individuals but Monty Dog could handle it all. The commuter section is an odd dichotomy of conformity mixed with subversive and flagrant abuse of traffic laws, is as clique as heck and best left to a burgeoning group of mad men and women, risking their lives on a daily basis and developing high levels of neuroticism catalysed by inhaling exhaust fumes. Not for the faint hearted. Road general is the same old same old banal repetition of issues/questions repeated and repeated as is road beginners*. *God forbid you try and actually give some good advice to them (NapD).

That only leaves one part of the forum for fun, frivolity and fraternisation: BB, total forumting.

For all non Bracketeers, we have Big Girls, an agony aunt (Arran77), Yoda who you can ask deep meaningful questions and can solve most medical ailments (Team47b), beer drinking competitions (TLW1), embezzlement advice (Stevo666), football analysis (Flaneur) and top notch juvenile attempts at one up-man-ship, the coolest (totally powerless) moderation (Vernonese69), a large degree of PMT and sillyness (predominantly Seano), ultimate cynicism (PBlakeney) and of course me, who can solve most of your gynaecological problems - my motto: "I'll have a good look but I can't promise anything".
    What more could you want?

I am totally and utterly disgusted by people insulting and contradicting the likes of Vtech, French Fighter, rayjay, Ballysmate, Bompington and Manc33. We need these members as they are fantastic entertainment and great value for money. Stop flagging up the lunatic fringe as they might get banned thereby making this a dull place.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mr_goo
    [Must be me, perhaps people hate me. OMG! I'm unpopular.......
    So dress up like your avatar and give the local yoof sweets tomorrow, instant popularity. :mrgreen:

It had crossed my mind.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    .... ultimate cynicism (PBlakeney) ....
    I think you only posted that to get your post count up.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

If you... ie; 'Caption Competition' on BB where there are only half a dozen regulars whose apparent amusing comments are only directed at each other and the 'winner' is only selected from that group. Sorry chaps but it's true.

Perhap...marginalised.

I'd...funny :P

Perhaps you're just not insulting us enough? Don't cry boohoo Goo, get stuck in ya bampot.

FWIW, Flaneur, lostboysaint, City girl have all come in at a late date and slotted in quite nicely. As far as the caption competition goes - you are either not funny enough or you haven't paid me any royalties. I suspect it is the latter. Keep trying. turn up regularly and become a fixture. All major credit cards and paypal payments accepted.

The best way to increase your post count without recourse is to post in Po Face. Everyone ignores you so you can just about say anything you like. Workshop is dominated by a handful of individuals but Monty Dog could handle it all. The commuter section is an odd dichotomy of conformity mixed with subversive and flagrant abuse of traffic laws, is as clique as heck and best left to a burgeoning group of mad men and women, risking their lives on a daily basis and developing high levels of neuroticism catalysed by inhaling exhaust fumes. Not for the faint hearted. Road general is the same old same old banal repetition of issues/questions repeated and repeated as is road beginners*. *God forbid you try and actually give some good advice to them (NapD).

That only leaves one part of the forum for fun, frivolity and fraternisation: BB, total forumting.

For all non Bracketeers, we have Big Girls, an agony aunt (Arran77), Yoda who you can ask deep meaningful questions and can solve most medical ailments (Team47b), beer drinking competitions (TLW1), embezzlement advice (Stevo666), football analysis (Flaneur) and top notch juvenile attempts at one up-man-ship, the coolest (totally powerless) moderation (Vernonese69), a large degree of PMT and sillyness (predominantly Seano), ultimate cynicism (PBlakeney) and of course me, who can solve most of your gynaecological problems - my motto: "I'll have a good look but I can't promise anything".
    What more could you want?

I am totally and utterly disgusted by people insulting and contradicting the likes of Vtech, French Fighter, rayjay, Ballysmate, Bompington and Manc33. We need these members as they are fantastic entertainment and great value for money. Stop flagging up the lunatic fringe as they might get banned thereby making this a dull place.

Should I take offence and flounce?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    Please do Bally, i'd enjoy that. Hang on a minute whilst I get some popcorn.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I don't think the forum is doomed but it's nowt like it was. I don't post anywhere near as much as I used to.

I've come to the conclusion (rightly or wrongly) cycling is predominantly a sport/hobby persued by those of right wing political opinions, if this forum is owt to go by. I can't be bothered to keep arguing the toss with people I've never met.
    If we were sat around a table though that would be different.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.