Saying thanks to drivers behind you?

2»

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I do most of my riding on quiet country lanes, and there If a driver has waited patiently for a safe overtaking opportunity then given me plenty of room, I'll raise a hand in acknowledgement as they pass. As a driver in the same circumstances I'd appreciate it. It's good to acknowledge considerate driving; a bit of positive reinforcement can only be mutually beneficial.

If I'm riding through Cambridge I like to keep both hands on the bars, and staying alive becomes the priority...

There's not so much considerate driving to be waving at either...
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    If someone lets me in from a side road, gives me room to change lanes... does anything courteous, whether they're on a bike or in a car and whether I'm on the bike or in the car, then I will thank them.

If I'm on the bike - to answer the OP's question - I just offer an open palm at around saddle height similar to how I might raise my hand near the rear view mirror if I'm in the car.

It's simple common courtesy; we're good at this in England (even in London despite the negative stereotype to the contrary).

If your thumb-up was mistaken for flipping the bird, then you must have East Anglian hands.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • If the driver waits his turn and doesn't try pull a fast one or gives me pass THEN I raise my palm above my head or give a quick thumbs up to side....

Being thankful is harmless...
    I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
    I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
    If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Usually with my commute it's when I am wanting to cross into the right hand lane approaching a roundabout, when most traffic is going straight on. I indicate right, and then turn it into a thumbs up.

Otherwise it is a wave. Hand up not out. Most drivers seem able to interpret these.
  • It's nice to be nice....
    This, and most of the posts preceding it.

+1, manners cost nowt, if they appreciate the gesture excellent, if not I'll get over it.
  • I will always try and say thank you if a car waits until it is safe to overtake.
    This is usually done by raising my right hand level with my shoulder and a slight turn of the head and a nod.

I try not to confuse them.

My reasoning is that as I use the same road at the same time everyday then hopefully they will be as considerate towards me the next time.
    It does seem to work, and this is noticeable.

If a car waits for me before pulling out behind a parked car I will also say thank you.
    I would in a car, so why not on a bike.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I always say thankyou on a bike in the same places I would in a car - ie when someone waits for me to come past when it's narrow due to traffic, when someone lets me out, a wave and a nod, and if I am face to face with them, I normally migrate the wave into a thumbs up, with a smile, and mouthing thnakyou.

Additionally, if someone waits behind me for sometime because the road is narrow and twisty, I thank them with a wave as they go past, which is just my whole hand at about head height held up briefly.

Some buggers just plough past regardless of blind bends etc, so I feel it prudent to acknowledge those who take the required amount of care.

Additionally if I have someone waiting patiently behind me, I will tend to perhaps speed up a little bit, and if I know the road, and can see more than when I am out of the saddle, and am 100% sure it is safe to pass, I will wave them through - 50% of the time this receives a wave or toot of thanks as they go past.
    It gets them off my tail, gets them on their way, and I hope leaves them thinking that some cyclists are considerate to other road users.

Additionally, if someone oncoming is waiting for me to pass due to a narrow road, I will get out of the saddle and give it some beans to reduce their waiting time - only seems fair to me, and will again give them a wave, smile, nod etc.

And if it's a pretty girl, well then even better :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    I always say thankyou on a bike in the same places I would in a car - ie when someone waits for me to come past when it's narrow due to traffic, when someone lets me out, a wave and a nod, and if I am face to face with them, I normally migrate the wave into a thumbs up, with a smile, and mouthing thnakyou.

Additionally, if someone waits behind me for sometime because the road is narrow and twisty, I thank them with a wave as they go past, which is just my whole hand at about head height held up briefly.

Some buggers just plough past regardless of blind bends etc, so I feel it prudent to acknowledge those who take the required amount of care.

Additionally if I have someone waiting patiently behind me, I will tend to perhaps speed up a little bit, and if I know the road, and can see more than when I am out of the saddle, and am 100% sure it is safe to pass, I will wave them through - 50% of the time this receives a wave or toot of thanks as they go past.
    It gets them off my tail, gets them on their way, and I hope leaves them thinking that some cyclists are considerate to other road users.

Additionally, if someone oncoming is waiting for me to pass due to a narrow road, I will get out of the saddle and give it some beans to reduce their waiting time - only seems fair to me, and will again give them a wave, smile, nod etc.

And if it's a pretty girl, well then even better :D
    Also, I will sometimes stop and let a car out if I am going to be blocked ahead anyway.
    Basically, act as you would behind the wheel.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    ...or basically - don't be a d1ck
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    With this thread in mind I ensured that I thanked the driver who didn't squeeze alongside to pass on a hill last night even though I was going pretty slow - so although he did only what he should have done I thanked him. Got to the top of the hill and he was still at lights - he wound down the window and said how nice it was to receive acknowledgement. Nothing materially was different due to him waiting, nor from me thanking - but we both left the traffic lights in a good positive mood rather than neutral, or worse swearing.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    With this thread in mind I ensured that I thanked the driver who didn't squeeze alongside to pass on a hill last night even though I was going pretty slow - so although he did only what he should have done I thanked him. Got to the top of the hill and he was still at lights - he wound down the window and said how nice it was to receive acknowledgement. Nothing materially was different due to him waiting, nor from me thanking - but we both left the traffic lights in a good positive mood rather than neutral, or worse swearing.

That's really nice to hear - I shall continue in that case :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18