Qrings

2»

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    We all know anyone on OS or q rings who wins a TDF or 3 is also on drugs, they are just like a cover for their form, like LA and hi cadence :)

to the OP buy them try em out and report back, you ll have no problems selling them on.

As for gear ratio's google sheldon brown/gear ratios
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The comments made dont seem patronising to me, the guy clearly isnt an experienced cyclist (that isnt an insult, we've all been inexperienced)

Can you put an exact figure on when someone becomes "experienced" enough to even dare suggest using Assymetric rings? Are you? How long have you been cycling? Have you got a certificate of offical experienced cyclist on your wall? You have no idea how long he has been riding, he only mentiones the frequency in which he does. Also people don't just enter Triathlons one day without have some level of ability first on a bike.

All of this is still besides the point. If anyone comes along with a question they should not expect people to look down their nose and suggest its above their ability to even think about it. Answer the question implied with a dignified anwser or STFU.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240

Also people don't just enter Triathlons one day without have some level of ability first on a bike.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Can you put an exact figure on when someone becomes "experienced" enough to even dare suggest using Assymetric rings? Are you? How long have you been cycling? Have you got a certificate of offical experienced cyclist on your wall? You have no idea how long he has been riding, he only mentiones the frequency in which he does. Also people don't just enter Triathlons one day without have some level of ability first on a bike.

All of this is still besides the point. If anyone comes along with a question they should not expect people to look down their nose and suggest its above their ability to even think about it. Answer the question implied with a dignified anwser or STFU

I assume this is at least partly aimed at me and I know I really should bite my tongue, but hey, in for a penny...
    The OP said he was a weekend 'cycler' (?) and actually asked to have gear ratios explained, which i tried to do; i gave my honest and think useful opinion that Qrings are probably not worth it. Don't need to esculate this to an arguement. I've been cycling 35 years for what it's worth (in other words a grumpy old know it all!).
  • Anonymous

All of this is still besides the point. If anyone comes along with a question they should not expect people to look down their nose and suggest its above their ability to even think about it. Answer the question implied with a dignified anwser or STFU

I assume this is at least partly aimed at me

Its assumptions that made you sound patronising in the first place. I recommend you stop doing so. Did your mother never tell you; ASSUME makes and ASS out of U and ME?
  • inseine

I assume this is at least partly aimed at me

Its assumptions that made you sound patronising in the first place. I recommend you stop doing so. Did your mother never tell you; ASSUME makes and ASS out of U and ME?

Well certainly out of U. I think STFU is pretty offensive, but I'm off, you're clearly itching for a fight and I'm not going to play.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    The comments made dont seem patronising to me, the guy clearly isnt an experienced cyclist (that isnt an insult, we've all been inexperienced)

All of this is still besides the point. If anyone comes along with a question they should not expect people to look down their nose and suggest its above their ability to even think about it. Answer the question implied with a dignified anwser or STFU.

I'd say having some understanding of gear ratio's is a start.

As for the rest, its down to style. Personally if I was about to waste a shed load of cash on something thinking that it was going to make me a faster cyclist, I'd rather someone told me straight.
  • Anonymous

As for the rest, its down to style. Personally if I was about to waste a shed load of cash on something thinking that it was going to make me a faster cyclist, I'd rather someone told me straight.

Did you actually read any of his others posts other than the first one? maybe where he says "am just making the move from triathlon to road cycling so am not a complete novice". Give the guy due respect first before just thinking he knows nothing about cycling. I know loads of people who ride alot and are actually very accomplished riders but are not very technically minded. If something like gear ratios needs simplifying to him then fine but does that effect his ability to push the pedals in an efficient manner?
  • mamba80

Did you actually read any of his others posts other than the first one? maybe where he says "am just making the move from triathlon to road cycling so am not a complete novice". Give the guy due respect first before just thinking he knows nothing about cycling. I know loads of people who ride alot and are actually very accomplished riders but are not very technically minded. If something like gear ratios needs simplifying to him then fine but does that effect his ability to push the pedals in an efficient manner?

I agree with Mileise, IF you dont understand gear ratios, then a decent answer on q rings is going to be hard to quantify if they ll work for you.
    Dont see it as patronising, its just the way it is, q rings etc seem to be a quite a personal thing and just like saddles, what works for one, may not work for another, so there is NO straight answer and if you were experienced, you d know this as well :wink:
    As i said in my reply, try them and report back.
  • Anonymous

I agree with Mileise, IF you dont understand gear ratios, then a decent answer on q rings is going to be hard to quantify if they ll work for you.
    Dont see it as patronising, its just the way it is, q rings etc seem to be a quite a personal thing and just like saddles, what works for one, may not work for another, so there is NO straight answer and if you were experienced, you d know this as well :wink:
    As i said in my reply, try them and report back.

Can I make this clear. To suggest to a complete stranger asking a question they are in some way too inexperienced to use the piece of kit they are intersted in it being patronising. If someone new to cycling wanted a 8 grand carbon fibre bike with q rings and Zipp 404's on full dura ace that is their decision. Thier money and their life.

It is not for YOU or anyone else to suggest what is correct for their particular level of experience. As I say, just answer the questions put in the forum and don't make up your own opinions of what they are capable of.
  • milese
    Get over yourself.

If someone asks a question in a public forum they'll get a range of opinions. They can take it how they please.

The fact remains that if going faster is your objective then riding more will net greater results than any marketing heavy over prices product, particularly if you (make yourself sound like) a novice.
  • Anonymous
    The fact remains that if going faster is your objective then riding more will net greater results than any marketing heavy over prices product

Yes riding more would make you faster, but its not an alternative. buy something OR ride more.

I think he would ride just as much with them or without them so thats a retarded answer. Riding more AND buying something may actually make him ride more anyway if he gets more enjoyment out of it.

Who buys something to help make them go faster then thinks Hey I can ride less now instead?
  • mamba80
    The fact remains that if going faster is your objective then riding more will net greater results than any marketing heavy over prices product

Yes riding more would make you faster, but its not an alternative. buy something OR ride more.

I think he would ride just as much with them or without them so thats a retarded answer. Riding more AND buying something may actually make him ride more anyway if he gets more enjoyment out of it.

Who buys something to help make them go faster then thinks Hey I can ride less now instead?

Look, Maglia, your the one who got all worked up over a few replies, my original reply was "try em and report back and google sheldon brown" you never even atempted to ans his question on gearing, instead going on the offensive.
    If you dont understand ratio's then understanding the so called science behind q rings is going to be even harder.

As i said Q rings are like saddles, helmets, clinchers v tubs, campag v shimano.... there is no straight answer.
  • milese
    Working out the hard truths of cycling is important.

There are no short cuts, it doesn't matter what bike you ride, what brake callipers you have or the shape of your chainrings. You get out what you put in. Everyone could find a way to ride more if they really wanted.

I think diverting ones attention towards that and away from pointless consumerism is good advice, but each to their own.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    Working out the hard truths of cycling is important.

There are no short cuts, it doesn't matter what bike you ride, what brake callipers you have or the shape of your chainrings. You get out what you put in. Everyone could find a way to ride more if they really wanted.

I think diverting ones attention towards that and away from pointless consumerism is good advice, but each to their own.

This is very true. Although if people buy better quality equipment and clothing they will feel like going out and riding more. Just look at all the posts about people not feeling like going out because the pad in their cheap shorts is causing saddle sores, or the saddle that came with their bike is causing them grief.
  • Okay lets just clarify here, I cycle around 150miles per week (a lot less in the winter, mainly turbo sessions) I have completed Iron men, I am moving more towards cycling as the running in triathlons is destroying my knees I certainly under stand gear rations and cadence, my question was maybe phrased wrong, it was more in the area of is crank size the same on Qrings in respect to gear ratios ( i currently run a 52/36)...... this is only my second post on a forum I so I can understand some of the comments with a little bit of assumption. And buy new gear keeps me entertained its my money am not expecting massive increases in my speed but when you get a new toy you like to play with it, the same with your bike you get something new you go out on your bike more, well I do.
  • I have 2 Sworks Tarmacs.

1 has 50/34 Q's on it, normal DA groupset, the other has 36 Q and 50 round, DA Di2.

I can now (not at first) pass from one bike to the other and not notice any difference in pedaling feel or style.

Nor in power or fatigue.

I like the principle, it kind of makes sense, so I'm happy to use them.

I tend to feel I get most benefit when out of the saddle which is why I only have Q on my small ring on 1 bike (the climbing one).

Front shifting on both is totally fine.
  • inseine
    Okay lets just clarify here, I cycle around 150miles per week (a lot less in the winter, mainly turbo sessions) I have completed Iron men, I am moving more towards cycling as the running in triathlons is destroying my knees I certainly under stand gear rations and cadence, my question was maybe phrased wrong, it was more in the area of is crank size the same on Qrings in respect to gear ratios ( i currently run a 52/36)...... this is only my second post on a forum I so I can understand some of the comments with a little bit of assumption. And buy new gear keeps me entertained its my money am not expecting massive increases in my speed but when you get a new toy you like to play with it, the same with your bike you get something new you go out on your bike more, well I do.

I think I understood your original post. What I was saying is that if you think oval rings might be interesting to use (why not, though I'm personally skeptical), you should know that they are not all the same. Just look at the profiles, they are all different. I pointed out that the designer of Osymetric rings says that (in his opinion) the Qrings don't work.
    If you go to thier web sites they have helpful guides as to which size rings correspond to round rings ( i assume this is what you mean by crank size, unless you mean crank length, but that's another story).
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    I have 2 bikes with Q-Rings,one 52/36 and one 50/34

After few weeks I felt like on normal chainrings,I am using Rotor for almost 3 years now and never had any issue,except shifting which was PITA in the beginning.
    To be honest,I don't know how much do they improve my strenght,but I don't feel bad on them and while their price is high,at least untill they are worn out I will be using them.After that probably back to normal circle,mostly due the price.