Qrings

Kerrjohn1983
Kerrjohn1983 Posts: 27
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello am interested in some Qrings does anyone use them?? also I dont really understand gear rations like 53/38 ect could you explain. Am mainly a weekend cycler and triathlete looking to spend a lot more time in the saddle next year, have some money for some upgrades and this is one I fancy.

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    No disrespect but I don't think you're at the stage in your cycling career that you need to worry about Q rings. They are unproven anyway.
    As for the gears, you should be pedaling at 80-100 rpm and they allow you to do this. Bigger numbers at the front (smaller at the back) give you a 'bigger' gear, ie 'harder' and slower pedaling.
    Good luck and enjoy.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    I love them however I swapped when my chainrings needed changing as it was the same money (campag). If you're upgrading money could be better spent else where
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No disrespect but I don't think you're at the stage in your cycling career that you need to worry about Q rings.

Patronising comment of the week!
  • Thanks for letting me know where am at with my cycling career, however as I stated I have the money and I want some so my mind is pretty made up just wanted some information on what current users. I also understand cadence, am just making the move from triathlon to road cycling so am not a complete novice.
  • I love them however I swapped when my chainrings needed changing as it was the same money (campag). If you're upgrading money could be better spent else where

thank you for the response, where would you suggest the upgrades? I have just ordered a 2016 Mekk Primo 6.2, I have also ordered a ultegra Di2 upgrade kit (the Mekk i ordered runs a 105 at the moment) and ultegra direct mount breaks (am kinda on a spending spree) would like to upgrade my handle bars and tyres, but not sure where else to go. so any advice would be great.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mekk-primo-62-105-2016/
  • inseine
    No disrespect but I don't think you're at the stage in your cycling career that you need to worry about Q rings.

Patronising comment of the week!

Wasn't meant to be but thanks for the heads up. Any thoughts about what I actually had to say?
  • inseine
    Thanks for letting me know where am at with my cycling career, however as I stated I have the money and I want some so my mind is pretty made up just wanted some information on what current users. I also understand cadence, am just making the move from triathlon to road cycling so am not a complete novice.

Bit late if you've made your mind up. I was just saying that there are a million different ways to go faster, if that's your goal. I've tried Q rings and yes they feel different but I've never seen any real scientific proof that thye work.
  • inseine
    I love them however I swapped when my chainrings needed changing as it was the same money (campag). If you're upgrading money could be better spent else where

thank you for the response, where would you suggest the upgrades? I have just ordered a 2016 Mekk Primo 6.2, I have also ordered a ultegra Di2 upgrade kit (the Mekk i ordered runs a 105 at the moment) and ultegra direct mount breaks (am kinda on a spending spree) would like to upgrade my handle bars and tyres, but not sure where else to go. so any advice would be great.

I'm sure you've got me marked as an arse, sorry if I gave that impression.
    Are you sure your bike is fitted with direct mount brakes? I'm not familiar with it.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited October 2015

How will you know if your upgrading if you dont just ride it first ? :)

I just fitted some Doval 34/46t rings (13.5%) which are meant to be similar to Qrings/Osymetrics. Not sure what i was expecting (extra power maybe ? :) ) but ive done a couple of 30 mile rides and i didnt notice any difference whatsoever. Im not convinced they offer any improvement.

If there is some benefit the effect is so minute it is barely susceptible (to me anyway). Im sure alot will say they feel better but i think they are just justifying their purchase to themselves or possibly maybe i need to ride them more.

On my 2nd ride yesterday i started to feel some feedback in my pedal stroke. Kinda like a pedal/chain bobbing sensation as you would expect from the shape. Felt it more in the left crank for some reason. It became annoying more than anything. No way are they worth £175+. I only paid £32.64 for the set so not too bad. Probably keep them on for abit as i like the look of them :) Certainly not a worthy upgrade though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361399327302?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=630752199038&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
  • I love them however I swapped when my chainrings needed changing as it was the same money (campag). If you're upgrading money could be better spent else where

Are you sure your bike is fitted with direct mount brakes? I'm not familiar with it.

they are direct mount already but only 105 so ive actually ordered a dura ace front direct mount and an ultegra rear brake, the only reason I went for the Dura ace front was for the look
  • Anonymous
    To get the best of of Q rings you have to have good padalling technique. Or at least a style which gets the best out of them. Since people have varied technique some will benefit and other will see none.

The only real way to know is to try them and see if they do. There is no real evidence they work but if Chris Froome can win 2 TDF on them and Wiggo once then there must be something about them that works for some.
  • inseine
    Funny, I was chatting to the creater of Osymetric chain rings and he said the Q rings were BS! Make of that what you want.
  • Anonymous
    edited October 2015
    Funny, I was chatting to the creater of Osymetric chain rings and he said the Q rings were BS! Make of that what you want.

3 TDF winners in 4 years kind of BS?

This is not suggesting they do work for everyone, but if the 2 riders who won then they must see something in them for it to be more than BS. They dont become elite cyclists for nothing. Considering they are not team issue kit they individually decide to use them. Its not down to sponsorship as is the case in 99% of all other cycling trends
  • Funny, I was chatting to the creater of Osymetric chain rings and he said the Q rings were BS! Make of that what you want.
    Its more Osymetric am interested in than directly Qrings, just used them as its a popular brand as an example, plus i couldnt remember how to spell "osymetric" ha
  • inseine

This is not suggesting they do work for everyone, but if the 2 riders who won then they must see something in them for it to be more than BS. They dont become elite cyclists for nothing. Considering they are not team issue kit they individually decide to use them. Its not down to sponsorship as is the case in 99% of all other cycling trends

Calm down tiger. Froome and Wiggins were both on Osymetric not Q rings and anyway Wiggins has been on round rings for a a while now, including winning the worlds TT.
  • Anonymous

Calm down tiger. Froome and Wiggins were both on Osymetric not Q rings and anyway Wiggins has been on round rings for a a while now, including winning the worlds TT.

Wow you are on a patronising streak today aint ya princess?

Yes wiggo changed and apart from the World TT he has hardly captured the form that one him the yellow jersey. As far as Q rings go its pretty safe to say that was what the op was eluding to.

Yes there is no real proof they work but no one has yet disproved them either so it is ip to those who want them to make their own assumptions.
  • inseine

Yes wiggo changed and apart from the World TT he has hardly captured the form that one him the yellow jersey. As far as Q rings go its pretty safe to say that was what the op was eluding to.

Yes there is no real proof they work but no one has yet disproved them either so it is ip to those who want them to make their own assumptions.

You got the wrong end of the stick, that's all. It's easily done. Froome and Wiggins are not and never were on Qrings (as far as I know). I think attributing Wiggins form, or lack of it, to his chainrings is laughable.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I use Q rings and they work for me. It's a subjective issue rather than objective. You won't know if they're for you unless you try them.

Now, direct mount brakes. I have 105 5810 brakes fitted to my Reacto as a) SRAM don't make direct mount brakes (SRAM Force 22 groupset) and b) the Tektro OE ones it came with are shite. If the rear brake is mounted similar to my Reacto and under the BB, it suffers with flex giving wheel binding when you need it least and being under the BB, you can't hear it binding like you can when mounted on the seat stay yoke. The choice is to have a really slack rear brake or upgrade to DA direct mount. My advice is not to mount the Shimano CB-90 in-line adjuster under the BB if the brake is there. Mount it up front where you can adjust it easily. The front brake is excellent though so if you have a 105 5810 front direct mount, there is no need to change it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Anonymous

You got the wrong end of the stick, that's all. It's easily done. Froome and Wiggins are not and never were on Qrings (as far as I know). I think attributing Wiggins form, or lack of it, to his chainrings is laughable.

I never suggested that was the reason for wiggins lack of form, your making assumptions.

Getting back to the OP's original request, he is interested in using osymetric rings (Q Rings he may of said but meant osymetric. You yourself said "I don't think you're at the stage in your cycling career that you need to worry about Q rings" Are you suggesting the OP is not experienced enough to use a certain brand in this case? You can buy no Q Q rings which are perfectly round as a standard ring. But I know you didnt mean this either did you?
  • inseine
    I never suggested that was the reason for wiggins lack of form, your making assumptions.

Getting back to the OP's original request, he is interested in using osymetric rings (Q Rings he may of said but meant osymetric. You yourself said "I don't think you're at the stage in your cycling career that you need to worry about Q rings" Are you suggesting the OP is not experienced enough to use a certain brand in this case? You can buy no Q Q rings which are perfectly round as a standard ring. But I know you didnt mean this either did you?

I'll assume you want a real reply and you're not just after an arguement.
    'Yes wiggo changed and apart from the World TT he has hardly captured the form that one him the yellow jersey' this statement lead me believe you thought that stopping using them had damaged his form. My bad.
    Qrings and Osymetric are different, hence my comments. I never reported that someone thought that Osymetric were BS, so you reply was a bit leftfield.
    I didn't mean to patronize the OP, but most people work out gear ratios after a couple of rides so I (mistakenly) thought that he was new to the sport and worrying about oval chainwheels was not really worth it, especially since they are unproven. Anyway, he's already decided to buy them and just ants to be told how good they are. Fair enough.
  • Anonymous

I'll assume you want a real reply and you're not just after an arguement.
    'Yes wiggo changed and apart from the World TT he has hardly captured the form that one him the yellow jersey' this statement lead me believe you thought that stopping using them had damaged his form. My bad.
    Qrings and Osymetric are different, hence my comments. I never reported that someone thought that Osymetric were BS, so you reply was a bit leftfield.
    I didn't mean to patronize the OP, but most people work out gear ratios after a couple of rides so I (mistakenly) thought that he was new to the sport and worrying about oval chainwheels was not really worth it, especially since they are unproven. Anyway, he's already decided to buy them and just ants to be told how good they are. Fair enough.

I m not after an arguement, but you must admit that if you mention Qrings people will automatically think of Osymetric "oval style" rings in the same way people refer to a vacuum cleaner as a hoover.

Just to further question the whole Qrings are BS thing. Peter Sagan seems to be doing pretty alright on them
  • inseine
    Anyone who accepts that oval rings are different to round rings should probably accept that not all oval rings are the same.
    The whole 'certain pro rides oval rings' is spurious in my opinion. In the era of marginal gains I can't believe that any of them wouldn't be using them if there was a real difference (or a least the large improvements claimed). I tend to think they do no harm, at best.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Ridden round, Q-Rings, and O'sys. Same power output on all and no difference in feeling, but I do currently race on O'sys style rings and all my training is done on round (trick to getting any sort of advantage from these is to not let your legs acclimate to them). There is no actual gain in power with different ring shapes, it's just that some PM's report inflated figures for non-round rings.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I rode Q Rings for a while - no discernible change in power, 'felt' a bit strange to begin with, particularly on the small ring but that lessened.

I swapped back because they made the front shifting a lot worse - dropped chains, slower shifts, just less predictable - admittedly that was with SRAM which was never known for being the best shifting at the front but for me the disadvantages outweighed the benefits.

Others experiences may differ particularly with Di2.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I rode Q Rings for a while - no discernible change in power, 'felt' a bit strange to begin with, particularly on the small ring but that lessened.

I swapped back because they made the front shifting a lot worse - dropped chains, slower shifts, just less predictable - admittedly that was with SRAM which was never known for being the best shifting at the front but for me the disadvantages outweighed the benefits.

Others experiences may differ particularly with Di2.

Strange? I have had SRAM on all my bikes and never experienced problems with front shifting even with Q rings.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • To get the best of of Q rings you have to have good padalling technique. Or at least a style which gets the best out of them. Since people have varied technique some will benefit and other will see none.

The only real way to know is to try them and see if they do. There is no real evidence they work but if Chris Froome can win 2 TDF on them and Wiggo once then there must be something about them that works for some.

Ironically, I think it's the exact opposite of that - the best cyclists already have good pedalling technique; it's those with bad technique that have the most to gain.

Tim Kerrison, and he should know, is rather less optimistic than you - in his words:

“[P]erformance-wise, there is very little in it either way [...], [a] few riders have a preference for the Osymetric rings, but many of our riders have tried them. Only a few continue to use them. [...] That said, both Wiggins and Froome used them in the 2012 Tour, so they are unlikely to be significantly detrimental to performance.”.

I'm inclined to rephrase your comment to 'there's real evidence that they don't work'. I can't help be intrigued by them, but they're much more expensive than the chainrings I normally buy, and I have little enough to spend on things that actually will make me faster.
  • Anonymous
    To get the best of of Q rings you have to have good padalling technique. Or at least a style which gets the best out of them. Since people have varied technique some will benefit and other will see none.

Ironically, I think it's the exact opposite of that - the best cyclists already have good pedalling technique; it's those with bad technique that have the most to gain.

Tim Kerrison, and he should know, is rather less optimistic than you - in his words:

“[P]erformance-wise, there is very little in it either way [...], [a] few riders have a preference for the Osymetric rings, but many of our riders have tried them. Only a few continue to use them. [...] That said, both Wiggins and Froome used them in the 2012 Tour, so they are unlikely to be significantly detrimental to performance.”.

I'm inclined to rephrase your comment to 'there's real evidence that they don't work'. I can't help be intrigued by them, but they're much more expensive than the chainrings I normally buy, and I have little enough to spend on things that actually will make me faster.

I would suggest someone with bad technique will not be pedalling in a fluid efficient manner. i.e just stomping on the pedals. This will not improve no matter what chain ring shape you run.
  • To get the best of of Q rings you have to have good padalling technique. Or at least a style which gets the best out of them. Since people have varied technique some will benefit and other will see none.

I would suggest someone with bad technique will not be pedalling in a fluid efficient manner. i.e just stomping on the pedals. This will not improve no matter what chain ring shape you run.

I don't think that a non-round ring can do much for bad technique either (many proponents seem to believe otherwise), but the bottom line is that something designed to encourage an efficient stroke is less useful to someone that already pedals very efficiently.
  • RobinB2
    RobinB2 Posts: 111
    I've been using q-rings for about 9 months. Not sure whether they have made me any faster - suspect any difference is marginal. However, for the previous few summers, I suffered from niggling pain at the front of my knee when I cycled a lot. This seems to have disappeared since I started using the q-rings. May be coincidence but worth a try for anybody with recurring knee issues
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I too have heard from my bike fitter that Q Rings suit those with a bad pedalling style, and whilst they may help them, better gain would be had from them working to genuinely improve their pedalling style.

The comments made dont seem patronising to me, the guy clearly isnt an experienced cyclist (that isnt an insult, we've all been inexperienced), and clearly has more money than me (I wish I had more money than me).

The honest advice is that if you want to go faster on your bike, ride it more, buying q rings (or any other shaped rings) or upgrading your 105 brakes to dura ace wont make any noticeable difference.