Overtraining mamils risk heart problems

davidof
davidof Posts: 3,036
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    This was all done to death (no pun intended) on the General forum last week.
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Not sure it has been done to death on that thread as it was very much focused on what is safe for someone starting exercise in late middle age. This research raises some worrying questions even for the younger cyclist as there is a suggestion that there is a cumulative effect of endurance exercise in increasing the risk of developing electrical problems with the heart notably atrial fibrillation ( which increases stroke risk greatly).

The big question is how much is likely to be damaging? There is mention of marathon and ultra marathon running, "long cycle races" and even of more than 60 mins of endurance exercise daily being excessive (particularly worrying as an hour on a bike is probably regarded as minimal by most serious cyclists).

Anyone racing regularly will be pushing their cardiovascular system to the max on a regular basis and doing 8hrs + per week of endurance training. At what risk to long term health?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Both those articles are anecdotal or just someones un scientific opinion

But i do know a worryingly large number of endurance athletes who have died young, from runners and rowers to cyclists.

I enjoy cycling, have a fitness level that allows me to enjoy life far more than many sedentary people and we all have to die at one point or another, a quick HA is preferable to long term cancers and dementia :shock:
  • davidof
    I read the whole of the other thread. A lot of arguing about heart rates. I was hoping people here might have a bit more insight into the articles. In the other thread the main criticism seemed to be the credentials of the authors.
    Instagramme
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    http://www.atrialfibrillation.org.uk/files/file/Patient%20Day%20Presentations/Athlete%20-%20AF%20-%20HRC%202010.pdf

This is a good summary from the athlete perspective. Unfortunately more than 2000hrs of moderate to heavy exercise over a lifetime seems to give a 5 fold increase in AF. More than 9000 hrs training gives a 15 fold increase.

On the plus side there is overall increased longevity, you might end up with AF later in life and taking warfarin or other anticoagulants but will likely live longer. On the other hand you might be dead from an AF induced stroke at 55, however you may have been dead from a heart attack or hypertension induced stroke if you never bothered exercising! Like so many situations in medicine interventions such as medication or exercise can have the effect of moving risk around from person to person or from disease to disease, there is no way to know how it will affect any of us as individuals so the answer is likely to do what you like within reason and live with the consequences.
  • mmacavity
    mmacavity Posts: 781
    BBC Radio 4
    More Or Less
    Feb 2015

Is strenuous jogging bad for you?
  • davidof
    I was interested to read about Franco "crazy heart" Bitossi. An Italian pro cyclist who had considerable success in the 1960 and 70s but had such a bad heart arrhythmia that he often had to stop during a race for a breather. Here's Bitossi putting other riders to the sword in the '67 Lombardia

https://youtu.be/bKiFtyD-TSc
    Instagramme
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Without wanting to state the blinking obvious, we all have to die of something.

A local cycle shop owner died of a heart attack and was a well respected cyclist. The more ill informed suggested that his fitness didn't stop his demise but it's arguable he would have died much sooner without being fit.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu