Looks like there might be some new 11spd road disc hubs out there?

2»

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Daniel B wrote:
    I notice on this thread, and on other sites I have seen it mentioned that MTB disc hubs are not compatible with 11spd road, which is what I have, so assume my market is still reasonably narrow.

Which does confuse me a bit, as the one I link to above is XT, which is MTB, so............ :?
    According to the questions on their website it will take road 11 speed.

Evans Cycles team

Yes this will work with an 11-speed road cassette, however please bear in mind that the OLD rear spacing of a road bike (without disc brakes) is 130mm but bikes (inc. road) with disc brakes is 135mm, therefore if you're running a road bike without disc's then you will need a spacer to ensure precise and smooth shifting.

Please check with a mechanic at one of our stores (of your local bike shop) if you are still unsure > >
    Ignore the waffle about 130mm and non disc.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    It was my understanding than MTB hubs can take 11-spd MTB cassettes but not 11-spd road cassettes.

That was certainly true in the past, so unless Shimano has widened the freehub on their latest hubs I'd be sceptical of one comment on an Evans comments thread.

The point here is that 11-spd MTB cassettes are only as wide as 10-spd MTB cassettes where they mount onto the freehub, whereas 11-road are definitely wider at the this point than the 10-spd road cassettes.

If you are building this to fit 11-spd road cassettes the you need a wider 11-spd compatible freehub, which I don't think any Shimano MTB hub is.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    maddog 2 wrote:
    It was my understanding than MTB hubs can take 11-spd MTB cassettes but not 11-spd road cassettes.
    That was my understanding too. But in the questions against that hub someone has asked the question and some bod at Evans says it will fit. Hopefully they have checked and it's not some numpty that doesn't know what he's talking about.

Edit: Looks like it may well be a numpty at Evans answering. Other websites say MTB 11 speed Shimano and road or SRAM 8,9 & 10 speed only.