Pulling up on the pedals - An Experiment

martinheadon
martinheadon Posts: 12
edited November 2015 in Training, fitness and health
I noticed recently that I seemed to increase my power (measured by Stages crankarm) when I pulled up on my pedals. But it didn't necessarily mean I was going any faster. So I did a little experiment. First of all, I did 30 seconds pedalling at 95rpm, only pushing down in the pedal stroke.

My rpm is 95, my speed is 19.6mph, and my power is 246. Then I did another 30 seconds, but this time pulling up on the pedals.

Same rpm and average speed, but this time my power is significantly higher - 275.

So, does this mean that I should start concentrating on the downstroke only, for maximum efficiency? There does seem to be a body of opinion that pulling up / pedalling in circles is no longer the way to go. Would it be a good idea to fit flat pedals to my turbo trainer bike, to train my legs not to push up?

And if I measured my FTP as 266 while pulling up on the pedals, is that possibly an overestimation of my actual ability? Should I test again while just pushing down on the pedals and see what I can do?

Comments