Trainer Road Virtual Power is very accurate

matt-h
matt-h Posts: 847
edited November 2015 in Training, fitness and health
I've been using Trainer Road Virtual Power on Kurt Kinetic Road Machine for about a year and have been really happy with it.
However, a Powertap wheelset came up that would be perfect for my winter trainer so purchased it.
I tested them against each other last night with the TR Virtual power on my laptop and the Powertap on my Garmin and they were within a couple of watts of each other.
I've been using a trainer tyre with 120psi and 2 and a half turns on my Kurt Kinetic everytime.
I'm really pleased that it means the training has been correct and i can carry on using the virtual power on a different wheelset while using the powertap on outside winter rides

Hopefully someone will read this and realise that you don't need a power meter for indoor training

Matt

Comments

• stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    I know it works well with the Kurt Kinetic Trainers but I am not quite so sure with other brands. For example based on my Elite Trainer I would say the readings are a bit low but I believe this is just based on an assumed curve which hasn't been verified.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I know it works well with the Kurt Kinetic Trainers but I am not quite so sure with other brands. For example based on my Elite Trainer I would say the readings are a bit low but I believe this is just based on an assumed curve which hasn't been verified.

Mine was massively over reading with my cycle ops jet fluid pro
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    It is also possible to train indoors without trainer road!
  • I've been using Trainer Road Virtual Power on Kurt Kinetic Road Machine for about a year and have been really happy with it.
    However, a Powertap wheelset came up that would be perfect for my winter trainer so purchased it.
    I tested them against each other last night with the TR Virtual power on my laptop and the Powertap on my Garmin and they were within a couple of watts of each other.
    I've been using a trainer tyre with 120psi and 2 and a half turns on my Kurt Kinetic everytime.
    I'm really pleased that it means the training has been correct and i can carry on using the virtual power on a different wheelset while using the powertap on outside winter rides

Hopefully someone will read this and realise that you don't need a power meter for indoor training

Matt

Awesome Matt, thanks for sharing. We're always emphasizing the importance of consistency rather than specific numbers, but it's always nice to see that the numbers still hold relevance, especially with that kind of accuracy :)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    It is also possible to train indoors without trainer road!

Yeah, Zwift rocks!
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    I was using virtual power with my Tacx Booster. Bought a Stages and ran them side by side, the result was extremely close - was pleasantly surprised. I guess it is all down to the trainer and it's power curve.
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    As long as trainer road doesn't randomly change the trainer to the first one in the list. I've got a kinetic rnr, and doing a work out the other night I could not get to the required power. After checking everything, checked the settings and the trainer had reset.
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763

Mine was massively over reading with my cycle ops jet fluid pro
    Hey Nap,
    Can you tell me how your Power meter/Trainer Road Power and the Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro power graph compare for power readings?
    I've just signed up for TR and found there are two options for my Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro - Recommended and Powertap. Strangely it is the Powertap one that closely matches the power curve shown in the manual whereas the Recommended one reads really low (eg 175w@20mph compared to 260w on the Cycleops graph in the manual).
    TIA
    Kev
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    My elite crono hydromag power curve was miles out, and I cant say it was consistent either as the resistance goes up as my turbo heats up which obviously they cant allow for that.
  • I use the Jet fluid Pro and until recently was using the Recommended virtual power profile. The Powertap profile was showing way too high power. Since June I've switched to an actual power meter and a repeat of an ftp test showed that the recommended power profile was reading approx. 20W under. I was always careful to keep the set up of the turbo consistent e.g, vittoria turbo tyre, 110psi, 1 full turn of the know until it clicked. With this set up the TR virtual power was very consistent.
  • kfinlay
    Cheers FELTZ95, I was more curious that anything else as I'm not too fussed about actual power but it just messes with your head a bit when you find that maybe you don't have the power you 'thought' :?
    Kev

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's great that it's accurate but thr the important thing is that it's consistent

I love trainerroad.
  • kfinlay
    It's great that it's accurate but thr the important thing is that it's consistent

I love trainerroad.

totally agree mate 8)
    Kev