Forum home Road cycling forum Cyclocross

Stop this nonsense - dropper posts for CX!

Monty DogMonty Dog Posts: 20,614
edited October 2015 in Cyclocross
Can we stop this nonsense of suggesting that dropper posts are any use for CX? Having hucked my CX bike down black MTB routes I haven't encountered a situation where I needed one and particularly so in racing - if I need to get my weight back and low, simply get my butt off the back of the saddle!
I certainly don't have time to start faffing with a lever and bouncing my saddle up and down mid-race!
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

• On_WhatOn_What Posts: 516
    :roll: I've never felt the need for a lower seat during a CX race, the terrain just isn't harsh enough
  • sniper68sniper68 Posts: 2,899
    I certainly don't have time to start faffing with a lever and bouncing my saddle up and down mid-race!

Do you have time to blink?It takes about a second to press the remote to lower a dropper,2 seconds if it's a lever under the saddle :roll:
    From the CX races I've been to theirs no need for a dropper as they're about as technical as an MTB Green route (MTB Black routes aren't that technical either :wink: )
    Having said that if someone chooses to use one then it's their bike/money etc.Things evolve.Disc brakes/droppers/d2i etc.
    I've had them on my MTBs for about 8 years and wouldn't be without one but I don't ride "black" or "red" routes though as they're a bit boring.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,225
    Given that in CX racing you want to go as fast as possible you are either riding flat out or run with said bike on shoulder / back the last thing you would want is extra weight. Second thoughts let them fit one and mudguards just to slow them down a bit further. I have seen CX bikes used at Llandegla on the black run and have to say they did pretty well on the fast and flowy stuff but really slowed down on the rockgardens, they did appear to have lowered the saddles slightly. Still beat them on my bouncer and hardtail so don't care anyway.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • trek_dantrek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Would make bunnyhops over obstacles a bit easier maybe.
  • Monty DogMonty Dog Posts: 20,614
    As if racing CX isn't hard enough, you could also press the lever mid-race and enjoy a firm smack in the balls from a rising saddle - what's not to like?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Ber NardBer Nard Posts: 827
    Yay! Another "It doesn't appeal to me so therefore it's the worst idea in the world and everyone should hate it" thread.

Next.
  • comsensecomsense Posts: 245
    Nibali used ( and may still use for all I know...) a dropper post on the road. He must have seen an advantage. I would have thought those advantages would apply to CX?
  • trek_dantrek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Nibali used ( and may still use for all I know...) a dropper post on the road. He must have seen an advantage. I would have thought those advantages would apply to CX?
    Doing a super area tuck at 100kph? Never seen that in a CX race before.
  • comsensecomsense Posts: 245
    Doing a super area tuck at 100kph? Never seen that in a CX race before.

You never saw it because no one is using droppers yet :D

I should have specified ( but assumed people would know what I meant) SOME of the advantages.
    In the articles I read he made a big deal about handling and moving around the saddle. Gist being that he wanted a higher saddle for climbing than for the flat or descending. I haven't raced cx in 25 years but I would give a dropper a go as I still have CX bikes. I like to keep an open mind. I like trying things out and most of those things turn out to be useless - every now and then you hit on something useful.