Stop this nonsense - dropper posts for CX!

Monty Dog
Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
edited October 2015 in Cyclocross
Can we stop this nonsense of suggesting that dropper posts are any use for CX? Having hucked my CX bike down black MTB routes I haven't encountered a situation where I needed one and particularly so in racing - if I need to get my weight back and low, simply get my butt off the back of the saddle!
I certainly don't have time to start faffing with a lever and bouncing my saddle up and down mid-race!
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

Comments

• On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    :roll: I've never felt the need for a lower seat during a CX race, the terrain just isn't harsh enough
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I certainly don't have time to start faffing with a lever and bouncing my saddle up and down mid-race!

Do you have time to blink?It takes about a second to press the remote to lower a dropper,2 seconds if it's a lever under the saddle :roll:
    From the CX races I've been to theirs no need for a dropper as they're about as technical as an MTB Green route (MTB Black routes aren't that technical either :wink: )
    Having said that if someone chooses to use one then it's their bike/money etc.Things evolve.Disc brakes/droppers/d2i etc.
    I've had them on my MTBs for about 8 years and wouldn't be without one but I don't ride "black" or "red" routes though as they're a bit boring.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Would make bunnyhops over obstacles a bit easier maybe.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    As if racing CX isn't hard enough, you could also press the lever mid-race and enjoy a firm smack in the balls from a rising saddle - what's not to like?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Yay! Another "It doesn't appeal to me so therefore it's the worst idea in the world and everyone should hate it" thread.

Next.
  • comsense
    comsense Posts: 245
    Nibali used ( and may still use for all I know...) a dropper post on the road. He must have seen an advantage. I would have thought those advantages would apply to CX?
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Nibali used ( and may still use for all I know...) a dropper post on the road. He must have seen an advantage. I would have thought those advantages would apply to CX?
    Doing a super area tuck at 100kph? Never seen that in a CX race before.
  • comsense
    comsense Posts: 245
    Doing a super area tuck at 100kph? Never seen that in a CX race before.

You never saw it because no one is using droppers yet :D

I should have specified ( but assumed people would know what I meant) SOME of the advantages.
    In the articles I read he made a big deal about handling and moving around the saddle. Gist being that he wanted a higher saddle for climbing than for the flat or descending. I haven't raced cx in 25 years but I would give a dropper a go as I still have CX bikes. I like to keep an open mind. I like trying things out and most of those things turn out to be useless - every now and then you hit on something useful.