iPhone or Cateye?

2»

Comments

• Sony z1 compact, waterproof, ant+, all day battery life and best of all you can pick one up for £100 from Ebay. Use it with this app http://www.iforpowell.com/cms/index.php?page=ipbike

Use 3m sticky tape (same as gopro sticky tape) to stick this onto a case http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sram-Road-Quickview-Computer-Adaptor/dp/B00DPUWXYI/ref=pd_bxgy_200_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1R43ZFQ91VKJPJS99TCJ

Then you can put it on an outfront mount, phone is about same size as garmin 1000.

Works great.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Forget using a smart phone full stop. There are cheap enough dedicated cycling computers out there that are more accurate, offer more functions than any phone app and have a battery life that will last way beyond that of a phone.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Great that the OP seems to have seen the light and ditched both of the original (bad) options.
    Strava is probably going to be more of a training aid than any of the sensors, so the Cateye was pointless.

The 500 would be great (although a bit dated now), but if you do not need both speed/cadence and heart rate sensors (do you really need either?) then how about an Edge 25?

The connected features mean that it auto uploads to strava via your phone (really useful if away from home/abroad), it finds satellites much quicker, and people can track you realtime (which is actually very useful).
    I love that I know my wife is safely on or returned from a solo bike ride, and that she knows I have safely commuted and arrived at, or home from work.

You can have one of the sensors with the Edge 25, and I think you can have it paired with both, but are not able to use both at the same time.
    Not that I think you really need them.

Must be loads of second hand 500's around now though. I am selling mine soon (red/black one with unused speed/cadence and HR sensors!), as once you have had auto uploads you really do not want to faff around having to plug it into a PC.