l’Etape du Tour 2016

Comments

• cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    chilled wrote:
    Very disappointed by this. However I'm going to use this as an opportunity to do the last half of stage 19 and all of stage 18 on Friday. Doesn't matter if I knacker my legs as much. 122km and probably less than 3000m of climbing just isn't as formidable as 140+3800m climbing.

depends where you are staying but if you have the chance, go and do the Bisanne climb from stage 19, it's awesome
  • Laura81
    Laura81 Posts: 1
    Hi there - not sure if this is best place to post (first time poster and to the forum, would there be a better place?)

A friend and I are (very last minute) L'Etape 2016 entrants (horay!) and so frantically trying to sort out the logistics to make this possible. We're driving over and camping in Megeve Saturday evening, but we currently have no way of getting back to our car from Morzine when we've finished.

Could anyone help with a lift? Or know of anyone who might have space for us? ....we've looked into hiring a local mini bus company who can carry upto 8 people including bikes. It's a bit pricey for just the two - does anyone know of anyone who could be interested and want to share the fee?

Any help/advise would be hugely appreciated. If you see two ladies in yellow Exeter Wheeler jerseys thumbing a lift, that'll be us!!
  • MBCaad8
    MBCaad8 Posts: 127
    cc78 wrote:
    depends where you are staying but if you have the chance, go and do the Bisanne climb from stage 19, it's awesome

Thinking I will do this on the Friday and then end of stage 19 and the time trial on the Monday, or the other way round. But wondering, is Bisanne worth doing from both sides?
  • cc78
    MBCaad8 wrote:
    cc78 wrote:

Thinking I will do this on the Friday and then end of stage 19 and the time trial on the Monday, or the other way round. But wondering, is Bisanne worth doing from both sides?

Bisanne doesn't really have another side as it's effectively a side road off the Col des Saisies; after the summit it drops down a couple of KM to join the main road just below the ski resort. The climb to Saisies from the Megeve side is a nice ride, but it's not nearly as tough as Bisanne itself. What is worth doing is going all the way to the Signal de Bisanne, a (steep) dead end 2km above the Tour summit, with magnificent 360° views.
  • js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    Laura81 wrote:
    Hi there - not sure if this is best place to post (first time poster and to the forum, would there be a better place?)

A friend and I are (very last minute) L'Etape 2016 entrants (horay!) and so frantically trying to sort out the logistics to make this possible. We're driving over and camping in Megeve Saturday evening, but we currently have no way of getting back to our car from Morzine when we've finished.
    I am planning on cycling to Cluses and then getting the local train to Sallanches. Then it is a 10 km+ 500m climb back up to Mègeve. I don't if this is a good idea though. Mind you with one less col and a shorter Etape, it will be a whole lot easier than it might have been. Those who feel they missed out on the Col de Ramaz, might want to consider the longer 17km route to Mègeve, which forms the time trial in Stage 18 of the Tour. :)
  • chilled
    chilled Posts: 6
    cc78 wrote:
    chilled wrote:
    Very disappointed by this. However I'm going to use this as an opportunity to do the last half of stage 19 and all of stage 18 on Friday. Doesn't matter if I knacker my legs as much. 122km and probably less than 3000m of climbing just isn't as formidable as 140+3800m climbing.

I staying in St Gervais. My plan is to cycle to Ugine, then cycle back along the Stage 19 route so the Bisanne climb is part of that. If I don't feel so adventurous, I'll drive to Ugine, do the 2 cols to Flumet, ride along the valley to Ugine, then drive back.

Stage 18 I might do Saturday morning or even Sunday morning as the way to get to the start, but probably Saturday.
  • cc78
    chilled wrote:
    cc78 wrote:
    chilled wrote:

I staying in St Gervais. My plan is to cycle to Ugine, then cycle back along the Stage 19 route so the Bisanne climb is part of that. If I don't feel so adventurous, I'll drive to Ugine, do the 2 cols to Flumet, ride along the valley to Ugine, then drive back.

Stage 18 I might do Saturday morning or even Sunday morning as the way to get to the start, but probably Saturday.

Sounds good. NB the main D1212 road is closed between the junction with the D71a (about 3km south of Flumet) and Ugine. There is a diversion along the D109, through Hery-sur-Ugine, which is actually a really pretty road with a short climb up to Hery and then a long descent all the way down to Ugine.

The Col de la Forclaz, from Ugine over to Queige, is also a great little climb. Not to be confused with the Forclaz at Lake Annecy, which also features on Stage 19 (and has amazing views over the lake) and the Swiss Forclaz that features in Stage 16!
  • cc78 wrote:
    The Col de la Forclaz, from Ugine over to Queige, is also a great little climb.

This "Imposter Forclaz" is indeed a nice climb (though we started from Quiege) - 5k @ 8%-9% if memory serves. Certainly nicer than the Montmin side of the Annecy Forclaz.
  • chilled wrote:

If the road is open, could you add the climb to Avoriaz after finishing the Etape? Not the toughest climb in the world but it did for Wiggo in 2010! This additional round trip would add your missing climbing.
  • chilled
    Not sure if that'll work logistically. But I'll keep it in mind, depending on what time I finish. I have to drive back to St Gervais and disassemble my bike and pack it and have a celebratory beer or two that evening.
  • chilled wrote:
    Not sure if that'll work logistically. But I'll keep it in mind, depending on what time I finish. I have to drive back to St Gervais and disassemble my bike and pack it and have a celebratory beer or two that evening.

JFDI. You can drink beer any time... :D
  • MBCaad8
    MBCaad8 Posts: 127
    Crikey - all these extra bits, it's going to turn into quite a few days in the Alps....
  • chilled
    New note from the organisers. Might scale my Friday back so I can go Avoriaz. Maybe.

[ THE AVORIAZ CHALLENGE ]
    However, if the 122km and the 2,800m of elevation gains of L’Etape du Tour leave you wanting more, we suggest that you tackle the Col d’Avoriaz, i.e. an additional 14-km climb, just like Andy Schlek, on a beautiful summer day in 2008.
    This climb will not be timed, but the organisers will set up water outlets on the different car parks along the ascent in order rehydrate yourself and allow you to climb the additional 840 metres. We advise those who want to take up this challenge to park their car in one of the car parks in Avoriaz.
  • cc78
    the Joux-Plane descent will be neutralised, according to the Dauphiné newspaper

http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/ ... nt-amputee

strange that this wasn't part of the announcement yesterday
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    So down from 145 to 122 and now 108km? By the time we get there, it may only be an 80k ride!

It's already costing me about £5 per km....!
  • Does anyone know where I can get hold of the .gpx file for the updated route? Some nice people put up the original route, but the organisers removed the col de ramaz this week due to rockfall. Shame, as the route profile has a long section of flat now before the Joux Plane. Sure I won't be saying this when half way up.

Thanks for any help. 8)
  • loumacari
    loumacari Posts: 19
    Does anyone know where I can get hold of the .gpx file for the updated route? Some nice people put up the original route, but the organisers removed the col de ramaz this week due to rockfall. Shame, as the route profile has a long section of flat now before the Joux Plane. Sure I won't be saying this when half way up.

Thanks for any help. 8)

Hi

I made this one - I can't guarantee it's 100pc accurate but shouldn't be far off if not:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14875636

B
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    cc78 wrote:
    the Joux-Plane descent will be neutralised, according to the Dauphiné newspaper

http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/ ... nt-amputee

strange that this wasn't part of the announcement yesterday

Has this been confirmed anywhere? I can't see any trace of it.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    It was confirmed in the Dauphine news paper article above, the Etape is a double amputee as it put it, with the Ramaz and Joux Plane descent gone.

Bit of a half assed event now, not really a proper stage anymore, 2700m climbing is a bit of a joke.
  • bernithebiker
    All done!

In the end the descent to Moraine was NOT neutralized and a good thing, as it was fine.

Great day, very hot and sunny, but fortunately finished before the heat really hit (4 hours 7 mins).

I for one, was quite happy that the Ramaz was not there, as that Joux Plane is a real killer, and would have been even more of a struggle with the Ramaz too.

No T-shirt this year though which is a bit of a shame.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,936
    Great time Bernithebiker!
    4 hrs 38 for me, beat Austin Healey (his was 4 h 44 m 41 s)
  • Valedoc44
    Valedoc44 Posts: 51
    Yippee yi veh. All done and dusted and that is a bucket list item ticked off.
    Too darn hot and well done to the 9000+ who cleared the route ahead of me.
    Great fun and a worthwhile experience.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Never seen an event where the last rider takes nearly 4 times longer than the fastest... there must be a humongous spread of ability... from the "I missed my chance to be the next Contador" to "I have never cycled more than ten miles in my life"
    left the forum March 2023
  • cc78
    Hats off to all who finished in that heat. We watched most of the field go past our front door (about halfway up the first climb) and by 8am it was already very hot. I can imagine Joux Plane was pretty unpleasant by the time most got there. I hope everyone on here made it round safe and sound, and that you enjoyed your few days in the region.
  • loumacari
    Never seen an event where the last rider takes nearly 4 times longer than the fastest... there must be a humongous spread of ability... from the "I missed my chance to be the next Contador" to "I have never cycled more than ten miles in my life"

There really was, which I guess is to be expected with c16000 people taking part (shy of 12000 finished, though a fair few of the difference in figures will of course be no-shows). Sure, it was by no means a doddle, but a fair bit easier than the original route, and I suspect many more would have struggled had the Ramaz been included. Not least because the heat of course affects the slowest more than the quickest, both because they start later and are on the road for longer.

I thought it was a great event, and really well organised save for the shuttle busses (every 15 mins my arse). Managing an event of that size must be one hell of an undertaking and they pulled it off well I thought. And the support from spectators was awesome. My only frustration - entirely of my own doing - was that I started in the second to last pen (places 14k-15k) and so spent 5 hours weaving and overtaking, which slowed me up quite a lot - especially on parts of the Joux Plan when there were almost as many people walking and resting as there were cycling. (That said, moving up through an endless peloton did provide some motivation on the climbs when most needed!)

I'd definitely recommend it to those interested, and will do it again in the future.
  • bernithebiker
    The last one I did was Annecy in 2013. There I gave up my 450 number to ride with a friend in 12000 and something. They were very strict about the pens, you could NOT jump up.

This year, it was a free for all. While we sat in pen 2, (I managed to "engineer" a 2 instead of a bizarre 8500), we saw tons of 4, 5 10, 12, 15 thousands casually sauntering into pens 0 and 1. Some looked like they belonged there. Some didn't !! There didn't seem to be any controls.

The 1st 10km or so were fast, 1 or 2% downhill, we were doing 50 to 60km/h. We passed some BIG people doing 35ish with 10 000+ numbers on their backs. This is somewhat dangerous!!

It also seems that the Americans using Trek Travel get to buy their way into pen 0, which strikes me as unfair, especially as most of them are completely out of their depth.
  • cc78
    Rumour has it next year's event will be in Corsica...
  • loumacari
    The last one I did was Annecy in 2013. There I gave up my 450 number to ride with a friend in 12000 and something. They were very strict about the pens, you could NOT jump up.

This year, it was a free for all. While we sat in pen 2, (I managed to "engineer" a 2 instead of a bizarre 8500), we saw tons of 4, 5 10, 12, 15 thousands casually sauntering into pens 0 and 1. Some looked like they belonged there. Some didn't !! There didn't seem to be any controls.

The 1st 10km or so were fast, 1 or 2% downhill, we were doing 50 to 60km/h. We passed some BIG people doing 35ish with 10 000+ numbers on their backs. This is somewhat dangerous!!

It also seems that the Americans using Trek Travel get to buy their way into pen 0, which strikes me as unfair, especially as most of them are completely out of their depth.

Yeah that's quite frustrating. I did pass a guy with bib number three hundred and something, and he must have weighed three hundred and something kilos! I hadn't realised, having never done something like this before, how the seeding worked, which was how I came to be at the back. Hey ho, you live and learn!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052

ah Trek travel i remember those from the Marmotte in 2013 :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    ah Trek travel i remember those from the Marmotte in 2013 :shock:

On a lighter note, does anyone else remember the Tinky Pinky Ladies from Marmotte 2011? Quite by chance, I descended the Glandon and the Telegraphe in their company!