l’Etape du Tour 2016

Comments

• Thanks all, well at least tunnels is one less thing to worry about.
  • Aravis descent is a piece of cake, few hairpins after the summit then pretty straight through La Clusaz with a couple of roundabouts then pretty steady towards the colombiere. Colombiere descent is pretty simple too. Both obviously could be very fast but it depends on how capable you are / how badly hurt you want to be ;-)
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    Another route preview that people may or may not find helpful...

http://wp.me/p1DAWN-5v
  • js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    9700 entries for the EDT as of tonight. As far as I recall, that's a lot more than previous years. It seems the bike economy is motoring...
  • Nevis2
    Nevis2 Posts: 28
    Spotted numbers 15,000 plus last year, although there's always a fair load of no shows
  • Thinking of doing the Etape du Tour 2016 for the first time - and found www.tourdeforce.org.uk on google. Has anyone done it? They're offering the Etape du Tour stage plus the next stage... Not the same dates but tempting... Or does anyone have any advice on who else to use for logistics?
  • Thinking of doing the Etape du Tour 2016 for the first time - and found http://www.tourdeforce.org.uk on google. Has anyone done it? They're offering the Etape du Tour stage plus the next stage... Not the same dates but tempting... Or does anyone have any advice on who else to use for logistics?

ronanpensectravel usually have well placed accommodation and are a highly professional outfit.
  • Sorry to dampen the mood but last year’s etape organisation was awful. I didn’t actually take part in the event, sadly – but had the job of driving our group to and from the start point, from the top of the Mollard.

The organisers decided to hold the registration at La Toussuire, which for those who are dont know is a ski resort about 10km from St Jean-de-Maurienne. I can sort of understand why they did this ( its where the event finished + sponsors etape village etc) however it took us about 3-4 hours just to register and pick up the numbers/ bags. Driving up to the top of the ski village was an absolute shambles. Cars snaking back as far as the eye could see. Why the registration wasn't held in Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne, I dont know. This would have saved untold amount of ball-ache.

Also, the decision to start and finish at La Toussuire caused problems for those who parked in the resort getting out post event. Cars parked on each side of the road meant that trying to get waggons up the side of the mountain was a near impossible task. The situation looked like this – Cars trying to get down the mountain, waggons trying to come up, cars parked on either side of the road.

The guys who rode the event said the whole thing was a bit of a shambles. Waiting at the top ( or bottom) of some of the major climbs ( Glandon / croix de fer?) for up to 40 minutes to wait for the bottleneck of cyclists to clear.

I guess that’s the nature of the beast though.

No idea where this years event is but if you’re planning on driving to the registration / event start, you’ve been warned!
  • Sorry to dampen the mood but last year’s etape organisation was awful. I didn’t actually take part in the event, sadly – but had the job of driving our group to and from the start point, from the top of the Mollard.

The organisers decided to hold the registration at La Toussuire, which for those who are dont know is a ski resort about 10km from St Jean-de-Maurienne. I can sort of understand why they did this ( its where the event finished + sponsors etape village etc) however it took us about 3-4 hours just to register and pick up the numbers/ bags. Driving up to the top of the ski village was an absolute shambles. Cars snaking back as far as the eye could see. Why the registration wasn't held in Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne, I dont know. This would have saved untold amount of ball-ache.

Also, the decision to start and finish at La Toussuire caused problems for those who parked in the resort getting out post event. Cars parked on each side of the road meant that trying to get waggons up the side of the mountain was a near impossible task. The situation looked like this – Cars trying to get down the mountain, waggons trying to come up, cars parked on either side of the road.

The guys who rode the event said the whole thing was a bit of a shambles. Waiting at the top ( or bottom) of some of the major climbs ( Glandon / croix de fer?) for up to 40 minutes to wait for the bottleneck of cyclists to clear.

I guess that’s the nature of the beast though.

No idea where this years event is but if you’re planning on driving to the registration / event start, you’ve been warned!

You're right on the sign in - that was a nightmare for anyone driving up. Can understand why they had it up there (sponsor village and official accommodation was in La Toussuire) so I'm not sure what the answer is - sponsors pay a lot for the privilege of displaying their wares, so they want everyone signing in in one place. The last 2 etapes have had the finish village at the bottom of the final climb, but that's not really an option when many are staying at the top (finish - descend for your medal - climb back up)

Not sure why people parked cars at La Toussuire given the start was at the bottom of the climb, so would've been an easy freewheel down the mountain to StJdM afterwards to the car parks - maybe these were supporters cars?

As for the bottlenecks - only one I was aware of was on the descent of the Chaussey which was the result of a very bad-looking accident (happened near the start, so riders were still bunched)

Thought the organisation on the day was pretty good IMO
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,936
    Signed in on the Saturday afternoon - no problems whatsoever. we had just driven over the Glandon & Croix de Fer and then back up to La Toussuire with no issues, before checking in to our apartment in Le Corbier.

Only hold up on the actual day was the accident on the Chaussy descent.

Overall I found it to be a really well organized day and not the experience described above.

Logistics are much hard this year with the start and finish about 30 miles apart, and a climb up to Megeve if staying nearer Morzine.....
  • I am riding this with some mates this year and we are staying in Morzine. We have arranged a taxi that will take us and our bikes to the start on the morning of the ride but I was wondering if anybody with past experience has any idea what time we will need to be at the start?

Obviously, I know that the start times haven't come out yet, but a ball park time would be useful.

Thanks
  • I am riding this with some mates this year and we are staying in Morzine. We have arranged a taxi that will take us and our bikes to the start on the morning of the ride but I was wondering if anybody with past experience has any idea what time we will need to be at the start?

Obviously, I know that the start times haven't come out yet, but a ball park time would be useful.

Thanks

Totally depends on your start number. As low numbers will start more than 2 hours before the back markers.

If you have a high number (i.e. 10 000+) then no point turning up at the crack of dawn, you'll be waiting for ages.

However, if you have a funky number like <1000, then you will definitely need to be there early.
  • We are all first timers for an Alpine sportive so we will be starting at the back. So any ideas what time the last people set off would be useful so that we can begin planning the taxi ride to the start?

Thanks
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,936
    You'll probably want / need to be in Megeve for around 8am as a ball park time.
  • Perfect. Thanks
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    Last year the starts were between 7.00 and 8.52.

Which I think is 14 waves at 8 minute intervals.

Paul
  • cc78
    Re: arrival at the start

This doesn't apply to Wardster but for anyone else reading the thread who is staying south or west of Megeve (eg Praz-sur-Arly, Flumet, Notre-Dame de Bellecombe, Les Saisies, La Giettaz, La Clusaz, etc), be aware that the race is using the D1212 from Megeve to Flumet; this is the only way in to Megeve from this direction and presumably it will be closed to traffic from the first wave onwards, so you will need to be at the start early.
  • Rl3340
    Rl3340 Posts: 4
    Hello
    I am taking a van down to the etape this year and have extra space if anyone would like their bike ( boxed /bagged) or gear transported please pm me or call 07561330603
    The van will be double crewed ,secured ,has goods in transit insurance and can collect from the M4 M25, and M20 areas but might be able to meet elsewhere if needed.
    Any thoughts questions or ideas welcome and am happy to help or be flexible.
    This means you can fly into geneva with no bike hassle or worries or fears over airport security or baggage handlers.
  • liztd
    liztd Posts: 11
    My hubby has entered the Etape and I've made the 'brave' decision to take the family along too as it'll be a holiday of a lifetime for my 7 year old son who loves the TdF!

My question is where would people recommend I stay with the littlies (aged 7 and 4) as hubby already has accommodation booked with some other cyclist friends? Megeve or Morzine? I really want to be able to congratulate hubby as he crosses the finish but wonder how easy it will be to get from Megeve to Morzine on the day given the journey time is at least doubled...

We're also planning to head South after the Etape to stay with a friend and try to take in the tour around Mont Ventoux after the weekend....

Any thoughts gratefully received! :)
  • I am taking my wife and kids to Morzine for a summer holiday this year. We chose Morzine as the swimming pool in town looks great with water slides and a separate kids pool. Megeve just seems to have a normal pool with no slides or much for the kids. Also the summer luge run in Morzine looks fun too.
  • cc78
    The pool in Megève has facilities for kids as well as a slide and outdoor bathing areas and an icerink, climbing wall and a large kids play area outside. There is also a new "4-seasons" luge, 5 minutes walk from the pool. The surrounding villages have a wide range of summer activities, lakes, farm visits, horse-riding, etc, etc; I would be surprised if there is anything you can do in Morzine that you can't do in Megève or the area around it. You're also only half an hour from Chamonix for trips to (for example) the Aiguille du Midi.

Although to answer the original question, travel between the two on race day will be complicated, because the D902 between Taninges and Les Gets will be closed to traffic and the "long way round" is quite long!
  • liztd wrote:
    My hubby has entered the Etape and I've made the 'brave' decision to take the family along too as it'll be a holiday of a lifetime for my 7 year old son who loves the TdF!

My question is where would people recommend I stay with the littlies (aged 7 and 4) as hubby already has accommodation booked with some other cyclist friends? Megeve or Morzine? I really want to be able to congratulate hubby as he crosses the finish but wonder how easy it will be to get from Megeve to Morzine on the day given the journey time is at least doubled...

We're also planning to head South after the Etape to stay with a friend and try to take in the tour around Mont Ventoux after the weekend....

Any thoughts gratefully received! :)

Can't comment on Megeve but through family lucky to go out to Morzine summer and winter on a regular basis. Great as a family outdoor holiday venue and when the sun is shining the Alps are hard to beat.

Hope you have a great time.
  • Hi all

Asking for a friend (two actually) -- and honest.

I'm riding the Etape again this year. They were supposed to be doing so as well, but can't now.

ASO says transferring dosssards isn't allowed. But in reality, surely this is possible. I know the replacements would have to sign in as the original dossard owner.

Anyone know anything about how feasible this is?
  • Presumably the replacement chap would need a medical certificate in the name of the original rider, so the doctor has to be in on it too.....
  • Presumably the replacement chap would need a medical certificate in the name of the original rider, so the doctor has to be in on it too.....

Well one of the replacement chaps is a doctor, so hopefully that will work.

It is the ID to pick up the dossard that is troubling me.
  • Peakraider wrote:
    Presumably the replacement chap would need a medical certificate in the name of the original rider, so the doctor has to be in on it too.....

Well one of the replacement chaps is a doctor, so hopefully that will work.

It is the ID to pick up the dossard that is troubling me.

Well, usually it's a teenager that signs you in who couldn't tell a UK driving licence from a TV licence, but it's your risk!!
  • akastana
    akastana Posts: 66
    Seems a bit of a logistics nightmare again - the shuttles are only running on Saturday so you can drop a car at the finish. No shuttles running back on Sunday so either you have to have a car if you stay in Megeve, or stay in Morzine and find a way to get to the start again before and after the race (or stay the night before in Megeve and the night after in Morzine and take clothes that you don't care about binning!)

For me it's looking impossible, I'll be working at the event village until at least 10pm the night before and will have to pack everything into the van so I can't just leave it at the finish and get the shuttle back on the Saturday....

Any ideas for how to get back after the ride? (or how to get to the start if I stay in Morzine the night before?)
  • Wardster00
    Wardster00 Posts: 143
    We are staying in Morzine and have booked a taxi to take us and the bikes to the start on the Sunday morning. The cost was £150 which we have split between all of us. We booked it with one of the airport ski transfer companies.

Unfortunately our taxi is full or you could have jumped in with us. There are loads of ski transfer companies based in Morzine so it might be worth trying some of them to see if anything is available.
  • Be aware that number/dossard collection will be @ Cote 2000, a 5km climb out of Megéve by the heliport.
  • cc78
    Be aware that number/dossard collection will be @ Cote 2000, a 5km climb out of Megéve by the heliport.

Really?

I find it very strange that they would make people go all the way up there instead of using the Palais des Sports slap bang in the centre of the village. I can't think of a suitable building/hall at Cote 2000, unless they are putting up a marquee. It would be quite an odd decision (but maybe not surprising...).