Best Winter Tyres for Grip and Puncture Resistance

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    have to say I was under the impression that under pressure tires are less puncture resistant too.

Under pressure would lead to more pinch flats but are certainly not more prone to punctures in the tread.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    High pressure will reduce the grip too...
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Surely Lost Boy Saint mean meant tyre behaviour under high pressure = inflated to high pressure
  • apreading
    Surely Lost Boy Saint mean meant tyre behaviour under high pressure = inflated to high pressure

No, if you are referring to his comment that "Under pressure would lead to more pinch flats but are certainly not more prone to punctures in the tread", then he really meant under pressure, as in not inflated as much.

Low pressure causes more pinch flats as they are the tube being pinched between a compressed tyre and the rim.
    The lower the pressure, the more easily the tyre will deform around objects - meaning the less likely that sharp objects will penetrate. So the higher the pressure, the more likely that objects will penetrate.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    From Schwalbe: "Maintain the correct inflation pressure. If the inflation pressure is too low, the risk of punctures is substantially higher. Check and correct the inflation pressure at least once a month with a pressure gauge"
    From British Cycling: " An under-inflated tyre will be far more prone to pinch flats and thorn punctures "
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    I've used Four Seasons this entire year and over last winter, and am very impressed with their versatility. Puncture resistance is excellent and they roll perceptibly just as fast as my GP4000, although i am sure there are a few watts lost here or there, i cannot tell.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • lostboysaint

No, if you are referring to his comment that "Under pressure would lead to more pinch flats but are certainly not more prone to punctures in the tread", then he really meant under pressure, as in not inflated as much.

Low pressure causes more pinch flats as they are the tube being pinched between a compressed tyre and the rim.
    The lower the pressure, the more easily the tyre will deform around objects - meaning the less likely that sharp objects will penetrate. So the higher the pressure, the more likely that objects will penetrate.

That.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • 25mm Gatorskins for me. Had the same set for the last 2 winters and the only puncture I've had was my own stupid fault when I stopped for a wee and rolled the bike onto a branch with a load of long thorns on it...it was like a slow motion 'doh' moment. :oops:

Always swap them out for the summer though.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    A few months ago I'd have agreed with you on the Rubino Pro's but this Autumn they've been just useless. Far too many punctures from sharp stones in the wet.

Grippy though, and lightweight - more of a winter race tyre than winter trainer tyre.
  • mamil314
    Since my Vredestein All Weathers got worn and somewhat cut up, i replaced them with Continental 4 Seasons and pinch punctured on first day; it's probably because i had them at the same pressure i used to keep Vreds at ( 100 PSI, i am 82kg ) but it seems this is nowhere near enough.

Is Schwalbe One clincher worth considering as winter tyre? If not, i will probably go back to Vredestein and replace All Weathers with Extreme Weathers for extra durability
  • lostboysaint
    You pinch punctured a tyre at 100psi? What on earth did you do, square edge it on a descent with all your weight over it?

I am 98kg and never ran my 25mm GP4S over 100psi and never had a pinch puncture and that included some cyclocross work on some Portugese trails. I now run Pro4E in 25mm size (actually come up around 27mm) and have them at 80 front and 90 rear and the improvement in grip and comfort without any loss of rolling is fantastic - Never punctured.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134

+1 for these, extremely hard earing, reasonable grip (certainly better than regular Rubino Pro) and pretty good puncture protection. Mine have probably done about 3,000 miles this year and still look pretty much as new.
  • mamil314
    You pinch punctured a tyre at 100psi? What on earth did you do, square edge it on a descent with all your weight over it?

I am 98kg and never ran my 25mm GP4S over 100psi and never had a pinch puncture and that included some cyclocross work on some Portugese trails. I now run Pro4E in 25mm size (actually come up around 27mm) and have them at 80 front and 90 rear and the improvement in grip and comfort without any loss of rolling is fantastic - Never punctured.

I was very surprised as well, but it was, probably, my fault - i was going too fast in an unknown area. Cycling path runs by A4 and some A4 exits have like 4cm, sharp kerbs across cycle path. Loud 'crunch' and that was that.
  • apreading
    I cant believe anyone would pinch flat at 100PSI - burst the tyre maybe, if you did something so crazy that any tyre would have burst. I really dont see how you could point at the tyre being at fault there...
  • Durano S for me - Not mentioning why or it'll all go wrong on the next outting
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I cant believe anyone would pinch flat at 100PSI - burst the tyre maybe, if you did something so crazy that any tyre would have burst. I really dont see how you could point at the tyre being at fault there...

I got a pinch flat on a 27c tyre at 100psi on the Rapha HotN last year. It was a pretty horrible pothole on downhill section of a rough track though even I was surprised when it happened - I thought I had a pretty bullet-proof set-up and that was probably my mistake...

Back on topic, I'm a fan of Open Paves. I also love Rubino Pros but recognise that people have some grip issues with these. As mentioned above, the Tech version is meant to have much better grip.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • apreading

I got a pinch flat on a 27c tyre at 100psi on the Rapha HotN last year. It was a pretty horrible pothole on downhill section of a rough track though even I was surprised when it happened - I thought I had a pretty bullet-proof set-up and that was probably my mistake...

Back on topic, I'm a fan of Open Paves. I also love Rubino Pros but recognise that people have some grip issues with these. As mentioned above, the Tech version is meant to have much better grip.

Sorry - not convinced. I dont believe that a tyre at 100psi would compress enough to allow it to be pinched. I just dont think it would be physically possible. I think what happened was that the tyre burst/exploded under the pressure and maybe then pinched after it lost some pressure. The effect may appear the same but I dont believe it was actually a pinch. I will hold my hands up if wrong but based on my limited understanding of the physics involved I just dont think it possible to pinch at 100psi.
  • meanredspider

Sorry - not convinced. I dont believe that a tyre at 100psi would compress enough to allow it to be pinched. I just dont think it would be physically possible. I think what happened was that the tyre burst/exploded under the pressure and maybe then pinched after it lost some pressure. The effect may appear the same but I dont believe it was actually a pinch. I will hold my hands up if wrong but based on my limited understanding of the physics involved I just dont think it possible to pinch at 100psi.

Well, the physics is pretty simple and it absolutely was a classic "snake bite" pinch flat. Provided you hit a sharp enough edge to a pothole with enough force, the decrease in volume doesn't need to be compensated by much of a volume increase. Even if the volume is decreased by as much as 5%, it only requires an overall increase in pressure of 5%. The challenge is simply to provide enough energy to make it happen - that's where the combination of speed and mass come into play.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I had a double front and rear snakebite puncture on a descent in the Swiss Jura with pressures around 100psi. this was on Mavic Yksion pro 23mm tyres which come up smaller than most tyres. Luckily, I managed to come to a halt safely. I have them now at 120psi, no issues since.
  • I'm currently using Michelin Pro4 endurance tyres in their 25mm form (come up closer to 28mm) and I used to think they were very good tyres compared to the Conti Gatorskins I was using previously.

I've had them on since March and they've been great through the sping/ summer, with good grip and seemingly decent puncture protection, and low ish weight.

However, after I've started commuting on them in the last couple of months due to knee issues forcing me off my normal commuter, they have started to cut up quite badly with the flints being washed onto the roads at the moment. This week I've had two punctures in as many days, and it seems like they're in their final couple of months now. They've done about 2700 miles so far, but for a good pair of training tyres I would expect them to last a full year, and at least one winter which they haven't really seen yet.
    The new editions launched this year are more expensive but apparently have the same issues.

I'll be trying Schwalbe duranos next as they seem to be rated as the winter' training tyre to beat.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    I'm currently using Michelin Pro4 endurance tyres in their 25mm form (come up closer to 28mm) and I used to think they were very good tyres compared to the Conti Gatorskins I was using previously.

I've had them on since March and they've been great through the sping/ summer, with good grip and seemingly decent puncture protection, and low ish weight.

However, after I've started commuting on them in the last couple of months due to knee issues forcing me off my normal commuter, they have started to cut up quite badly with the flints being washed onto the roads at the moment. This week I've had two punctures in as many days, and it seems like they're in their final couple of months now. They've done about 2700 miles so far, but for a good pair of training tyres I would expect them to last a full year, and at least one winter which they haven't really seen yet.
    The new editions launched this year are more expensive but apparently have the same issues.

I'll be trying Schwalbe duranos next as they seem to be rated as the winter' training tyre to beat.
    My experience of 28mm durano is positive thus far. A lot of my routes atm are mucky leafy and greasy, nothing seems to worry them.

I would even run them all year round if I didn't have another choice of bike
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,032
    Sorry - not convinced. I dont believe that a tyre at 100psi would compress enough to allow it to be pinched.

Happened to me too - I agree it's rare but it does happen if you hit a pothole hard enough.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Can't fault Durano in any guise. Saw me through several winters in Belfast, and a couple of 12th July commutes too. A great tyre, smooth and predictable when things get rough. An absolute hoot on fresh snow too.
  • NeXXus
    Can't fault Durano in any guise. Saw me through several winters in Belfast, and a couple of 12th July commutes too. A great tyre, smooth and predictable when things get rough. An absolute hoot on fresh snow too.
    I'm looking forward to snow rides, although I have a pair of Schwalbe CX Comps to swap onto for a bit more off-roady stuff.

Haven't ruled out spikes either just yet, spoilt for choice with Schwalbe
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    Durano's for me. Perfect balance of toughness, rolling resistance and above all – grip.
  • meanredspider

Haven't ruled out spikes either just yet, spoilt for choice with Schwalbe

Spikes are pretty rubbish on proper snow - the spikes themselves add nothing. On ice, I only trust Ice Spiker Pros on the MTB after a big spill on Marathon W***ers. The Spikers are magic - I've tested them in the crappiest ice conditions over a number of years and have total faith in them.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    I have a bit of a short term dilemma.

I'm buying a new Focus that'll be available around Christmas time.
    That's going to be fitted with:-

Schwalbe Lugano 622 X 25

The tyres I'm currently running, Rubino Pro Slicks, are a mess and held together by a thread!
    It's a minor miracle that they work at all, having ridden them through last summer, and then been promoted back up when my Pro Race 4's went off very quickly, a few weeks ago.

I'm not keen in soldiering on for 6 weeks but also don't want to buy 'decent' winter tyres if the Lugano's will be plenty good enough for Jan Feb & March.
    By which till I'll have to buy a new set of 'summer' tyres.

However if the Lugano's are a bit pony I might as well buy decent winter tyres now and swap them onto the Focus when it arrives.

I basically don't want to end up with a spare set of hardly used good 'winter' tyres at the moment I'm shelling out for a new set of 'summer' tyres.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I get punctures in everything so tubeless is the answer as when they puncture the sealant sorts it out so I dont have to stop.

Gatorskin hardshells are the only tubed tyre that I truely trust but I have punctured those as well. I also ride tubs a fair bit in winter and find these pretty good. gatorskin tubs is my prefered choice in the wet.

Lugano's would last me a few minutes none of the cheap tyres seem to last well for me.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • NeXXus
    Lugano 25s were my staple winter/training tyre for years up until now. I spent plenty of time fixing other peoples punctures on much more expensive tyres
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Lugano's would last me a few minutes none of the cheap tyres seem to last well for me.
    NeXXus wrote:
    Lugano 25s were my staple winter/training tyre for years up until now. I spent plenty of time fixing other peoples punctures on much more expensive tyres
    haha great!!

Maybe a cheap set for now till Christmas, (my Rubino's really are a mess) then the Lugano's through to Easter at which point I can then get into a summer/winter routine starting in 2016.