Maratona dles Dolomites 2016

2»

Comments

• NUFCrichard
    NUFCrichard Posts: 103
    I really enjoyed it too. I haven't ridden much this year, in fact I only had 1300k going into the weekend, but I got around the long course ok in 6:26.

I didn't find it too hard a parcours, only Passo Giau was steep, but the total climbing starts to get you at the end of the day. I was lucky to finish at almost the exact same time as Miguel Induarain, so I got a photo with him and shook his hand, that was a real bonus!

I would definitely do it again, starting in the last group was a bit of a drag, I was overtaking people constantly for the first 4-5 climbs. I didn't have to stop on the 1st climb of the Campalongo though, so I think I was quite lucky!

I fancy really training and doing the Ötztaler Radmarathon sometime, then I might go back to the Giordana after I did dreadfully there in 2012, then I will consider doing the Maratona again.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I didn't take part in the Maratona, but did spend the week riding around the Dolomites and rode up the Gardena on the Sunday afternoon. It wasn't hard to follow the route from the trail of energy gels, bars, and empty wrappers, etc. Although I saw a small army of people picking up the rubbish the next day.

For those of you who, understandably, didn't stop to take a photo on the Gardena pass, here's one I took about 2.30pm

DSC_20872_zpsetcgdood.jpg
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    I really enjoyed it too. I haven't ridden much this year, in fact I only had 1300k going into the weekend, but I got around the long course ok in 6:26.

I didn't find it too hard a parcours, only Passo Giau was steep, but the total climbing starts to get you at the end of the day. I was lucky to finish at almost the exact same time as Miguel Induarain, so I got a photo with him and shook his hand, that was a real bonus!

I would definitely do it again, starting in the last group was a bit of a drag, I was overtaking people constantly for the first 4-5 climbs. I didn't have to stop on the 1st climb of the Campalongo though, so I think I was quite lucky!

I fancy really training and doing the Ötztaler Radmarathon sometime, then I might go back to the Giordana after I did dreadfully there in 2012, then I will consider doing the Maratona again.

That's a very decent time, especially with relatively few miles in the legs. I did the Giordana back in 2011 and don't fancy it again. The Mortirolo isn't a nice climb. The Ötztaler Radmarathon looks like a cracking event, and the Rombo is a lovely climb.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/features/ ... -dolomite/

It looks amazing from the photos here.

Is there some criteria applied to applicants, or is it random ballot?