Maratona dles Dolomites 2016

3Pears
3Pears Posts: 174
Anyone on here entered the 30th edition of the Maratona in 2016 via Cycling Weekly or Holimites.com ?

Two of us in via Holimites, great value and so looking forward to this event 8)

Let the training commence ......

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    Normally do this every other year (3 in total), and 2016 is a year off, but it's a fantastic event that I'm sure you'll love. I might try and do a couple next year, with one earlier (May'ish) and one in August. Maybe.
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    How is everyone's training going? I'm really looking forward to my first Maratona.
  • chewywahid
    chewywahid Posts: 28
    Training going well thanks.

Any advice on tackling this event? I've done the Marmotte in 2013 and got lots of advice from people who've done it before.
  • phreak
    ChewyWahid wrote:

Any advice on tackling this event? I've done the Marmotte in 2013 and got lots of advice from people who've done it before.

I'm sure if you've done the Marmotte you'll be fine. It is all largely up or down, and the toughest climb (Giau) comes around 80km in and with 5 climbs in the legs so make sure you pace yourself. It's also usually pretty hot by the time you get there and there aren't any stops on the way up. Last year was very hot and there were a lot of riders stopped at any kind of stream topping up.

Overall though I'd just say to enjoy what is a fantastic event, especially if you're there for a few days beforehand and can soak in the atmosphere.
  • chewywahid
    chewywahid Posts: 28
    phreak wrote:
    ChewyWahid wrote:

I'm sure if you've done the Marmotte you'll be fine. It is all largely up or down, and the toughest climb (Giau) comes around 80km in and with 5 climbs in the legs so make sure you pace yourself. It's also usually pretty hot by the time you get there and there aren't any stops on the way up. Last year was very hot and there were a lot of riders stopped at any kind of stream topping up.

Overall though I'd just say to enjoy what is a fantastic event, especially if you're there for a few days beforehand and can soak in the atmosphere.
    Great thanks. I'll pace using a PM and heart rate. I'm going over cycling weekly travelling Wednesday to Tuesday. I've never been to Italy and I'm 45...the shame!

When pacing a climb it's dependant on the duration of the climb right? For instance, you'd pace at lower power for a 40 minute climb as opposed to a 20 climb. I need to work out what power I should be climbing at for each of the climbs. For the Marmotte I used HR as I didn't have a PM then, but remember Galibier being though and Alp D'huez being a furnace.
  • phreak
    ChewyWahid wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    ChewyWahid wrote:

Great thanks. I'll pace using a PM and heart rate. I'm going over cycling weekly travelling Wednesday to Tuesday. I've never been to Italy and I'm 45...the shame!

When pacing a climb it's dependant on the duration of the climb right? For instance, you'd pace at lower power for a 40 minute climb as opposed to a 20 climb. I need to work out what power I should be climbing at for each of the climbs. For the Marmotte I used HR as I didn't have a PM then, but remember Galibier being though and Alp D'huez being a furnace.

I was thinking more of pacing for the whole ride. Pacing a 60 minute climb with fresh legs is a very different thing to pacing a 60 minute climb with tired legs. I wouldn't say any of the climbs on the Sella Ronde loop are that hard on their own, but they do add up, and with the huge bunch it can be tempting to go a bit hard and deaden your legs for the Giau.

If you want a nice loop to get into the swing of things, I'd recommend taking the road down towards the Giau (from Arraba, but turn right before you get there and head towards the Fedaia. The Sottaguda is stunning, and the climb up to the Marmalada is a real brute (cracking view at the top though). You can then head down the other side and climb back up the Pordoi from the other side, and either do the whole climb or join the Sella half way up and go over that and the Gardena. Think it's about 60/70km all told and will get you into the swing of things nicely :)
  • manxshred
    Although, don't forget about the Mur dl Giat which comes at 134km. 19% max.

I only noticed it when watching a youtube video someone did of their ride.
  • phreak
    Aye, it is a bit of a sting in the tail, but it's probably the most 'British' climb on the whole course, so should be ok. You just grin and gurn your way up :lol: There's a nice descent from the Valporola down to La Villa so you can recover a bit, especially if you can get into a group.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    phreak wrote:
    Aye, it is a bit of a sting in the tail, but it's probably the most 'British' climb on the whole course, so should be ok. You just grin and gurn your way up :lol: There's a nice descent from the Valporola down to La Villa so you can recover a bit, especially if you can get into a group.

i ve done this event more than a few times (8), this race (and for many riders this is exactly what it is) is the best in the world and for an amateur possibly the nearest you ll come to experiencing what its like to finish a pro race... or at least thats what i told myself!!!
    i find the Falzerego the toughest climb as its actually very hard, its 5% avg is nt true as its got a long flat section in it, plus its always hot, and its exposed as you reach the 2km of the Valporola, which is horrible!!

if you ve nerve, the ride down off the Valporola can see speeds of well over 55mph or even 60mph, after the initial hairpins, the road straightens out with flat out bends before a guy with a flag tells you your into the next set of hairpins! worth riding up the Valporola for a recce?

i for one, would nt wont to ride any of the Valporola in a group (riders are v tired and i ve seen a few crashes down here) at least until San Cassiano and the run into Corvara.

i know i should but i never do much riding before the race we just go for a long tour on the tuesday before the drive back, Phreaks suggestion is a great one as is incorporating the Passo delle Erbe, a beautiful climb.
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    What Phreak and Mamba80 said.

The only issue is making sure that you have got your timings right and don't miss the cut-off before they close the long route. If you go too hard you will blow up on the Giau, go too slow and you wont even be able do it.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • phreak
    mamba80 wrote:
    i find the Falzerego the toughest climb as its actually very hard, its 5% avg is nt true as its got a long flat section in it, plus its always hot, and its exposed as you reach the 2km of the Valporola, which is horrible!!

Ah, but there's the oompah band at the top to chivvy you along :D The number of supporters on the road side is actually a really nice aspect of the event. Brilliant organisation across the board and the local area seems to really get into it.

If you wanted another couple of nice rides in the area, the Passo Duran is (imo) a hidden gem. It was practically empty when we rode it last year and really beautiful. I didn't manage to ride it (turned right on the way up), but the climb to Plan de Corones looks interesting too, although I'm not sure I'd like coming back down again as it's gravel road for a section.
  • manxshred
    I'm booked into a hotel in Selva di Val Gardena. What is it like getting across to the start on the morning? I'm guessing it will be quite busy?

I have an option on a room in Corvana, but it will be a very expensive change.
  • phreak
    ManxShred wrote:
    I'm booked into a hotel in Selva di Val Gardena. What is it like getting across to the start on the morning? I'm guessing it will be quite busy?

I have an option on a room in Corvana, but it will be a very expensive change.

You'll be cycling presumably? It's pretty much all down hill from there to La Villa so not a biggie from that perspective, but it will be a really early start and may be a bit chilly, so something to bare in mind.

I'm also not sure what the situation is with getting back after the ride either as obviously the Gardena climb is part of the route so I don't know when it re-opens to get out of Corvara again.
  • manxshred
    Its not all downhill I think? You need to climb up to the peak, then down that descent, so I would probably be driving. Not sure about parking down at Corvana?
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    ManxShred, just make sure you park Gardena side of the finish road, otherwise you may have a long wait for everyone to finish for road to be opened after you've finished. Its a nice roll down to the start from there and riders are guided to their pens very efficiently.

Can only agreed with the positive comments from others, its an incredible event the atmosphere builds throughout the week as cyclists gradually invade the whole valley. Can't wait for my event kit supplied by Castelli.

As Phreak says pacing is difficult as the climbs don't seem too long or steep and with lots of riders, closed roads and hovering helicopters above almost everyone goes off a little fast but the Giau will bite back, believe me, several of my 9lives have been lost on that ascent :):)

Good luck everyone, hopefully Dossard numbers will be released soon :)
  • manxshred
    I've managed to move my hotel to the other side of the town, in San Vigilio Di Marebbe. It seems to be a bit easier in the morning to get the the start, as long as I park on the right side of La Villa.

Anyway, I need to stop stressing about this now, I've still got a lot of training, as this is not really my big event this year, I'm doing the Salzkammergut Trophy the following Saturday.
  • phreak
    How did everyone feel after seeing the Giro go over the Maratona route? Certainly made me pang for the Dolomites. It really is a stunning part of the world to ride a bike.
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Pang? thats not a strong enough word.

I watched all the coverage Sunday night (I was away all weekend) and bored my wife senseless explaining each section of the race.

There is no way that I am not riding those roads again next summer, even if it is not Maratona week.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • phreak
    Haha, I know what you mean. It's impossible not to fall in love with the area.
  • cdrewery
    cdrewery Posts: 16
    Myself and and a mate are coming over from Hong Kong for this years event - really looking forward to it. Training going ok although it is now pretty hot and humid here, 32 deg and 80%....

Only short climbs here in Honkers but they tend to be pretty steep around the 14% plus mark. Watching the Giro really highlights how stunning the Dolomites are.
  • Hi folks! I'm leaving Brazil on june 28th and I'll stay at San Cassiano. On june 30th, we're programming to do Sellaronda and July 01st, Valparola and Falzarego. I'm currently in doubt on choosing my wheels. I've a wheelset of Shimano RS80-50mm depth with a Powertap hub on the rear and a quite simple (and also heavyweight) Shimano RS 11. Do you think choosing a 50mm for this race is a mistake? Maybe a shallow front rim r on the front and the 50mm on the rear to use the Power Tap? Opinions are welcome! Nice rides and workouts for everybody!
  • woodger
    woodger Posts: 4
    Hi, I'm entered in this event. Just wondering what amount of training is needed. I was involved in and accident back in January resulting in a broken and dislocated Collarbone and a broken rid. So progress has been slow. Averaging about 250km a week at the moment.
  • phreak
    I'd say that is plenty. It's roughly what I've averaged whenever I've done the event previously and I've been fine (~6h30 sort of time). The event is such that if you feel awful you can always opt for a shorter route, whether that's at the end of the sellaronda or by skipping the Giau. It's really easy to decide on the day based on how you're doing. Sure if you pace yourself you'll be fine though.
  • woodger
    woodger Posts: 4
    That's great thank you, just the confidence boost I needed. Cheers
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Hi folks! I'm leaving Brazil on june 28th and I'll stay at San Cassiano. On june 30th, we're programming to do Sellaronda and July 01st, Valparola and Falzarego. I'm currently in doubt on choosing my wheels. I've a wheelset of Shimano RS80-50mm depth with a Powertap hub on the rear and a quite simple (and also heavyweight) Shimano RS 11. Do you think choosing a 50mm for this race is a mistake? Maybe a shallow front rim r on the front and the 50mm on the rear to use the Power Tap? Opinions are welcome! Nice rides and workouts for everybody!

tbh it wont matter, esp as you ll be shattered come race day with those pre event rides lol!
    both wheels are similar weight and its never been windy enough to bother a 50mm rim, i would take the higher quality rs80, assuming its in great condition.

I ve stayed in San C on numerous occasions, its a great base and v easy access to the start, the restaurants in the centre do great food and an me and GF always go to the nice expensive one on Sunday evening as a reward!
  • manxshred
    Good luck to all this weekend. I will be flying out tonight to London, then on to Salzburg Friday morning.

The weather looks like it could be cooler with some showers around, but hopefully we will get a nice dry day.
  • phreak
    How did everyone get on? Looking at the pictures posted on the Facebook page made me very envious, looked as fantastic as always.
  • manxshred
    I really enjoyed it. The day started cooler, with wet roads, and a forecast for cloud and some rain. Luckily this did not happen and it cleared up later in the day.
    The Giau is a crazy climb. I stuck to my HR and felt like i was going backwards as everyone passed me, but I got up it without stopping.
    There was some dodgy descending as usual. I saw one Brit on the second decent almost go into the back of a group. He was flying down and went for a gap on the apex that was never going to be there. No idea how he managed to slow down and avoid the crash. Then he shouted at the people he almost took out.
  • cdrewery
    cdrewery Posts: 16
    What a fantastic event, great organisation friendly people and a stunning place to ride. Arrived on the Monday having flown in from Hong Kong, spent the week cycling and some hill walking with the Mrs. Have skied in Val Gardena many years ago but never been here in the summer - what a playground!!

Event was brilliant, great atmosphere and the weather held and the sun came out a couple of hours after the start. The Giau was hard work, but great encouragement from those on the side of the road along the route. Descents were great fun and had a good run from Arraba down the valley in a group of 20+, almost felt like a pro!!

Overall love the whole experience, well worth the effort. Memorable day....
  • stueyboy
    stueyboy Posts: 108
    Fabulous event. Really enjoyed the descents, especially the one from the top of the Valparola to La Villa which is about 10 miles. I was with a German rider on that descent and he looked over to me coming in to La villa and said "good eh?" which is an understatement. Climbs were OK with exception of the Giau which is just an hour of pain. I don't think I heard a single person talk all the way up.