Cycling holiday in France July 2016

2»

Comments

• mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Fella I was meant to go cycling with in the middle of July has said he can't go anymore. I still want to go though and it is only for 4 nights or so as my wife will be coming over to meeting me after I have finished cycling. I was thinking of going with a tour company now and going out on their organised rides. Any recommendations in the Alps?

Location isn't quite in line with where the thread has been going, but if you are looking at this middle of July then combining riding with the Tour de France seems like a very good move! We (Le Domestique Tours) have packages for the Andorra and Mont Ventoux sections as detailed in the below:

http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk/tours/tour-de-france-2016-packages/
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • jpf51
    jpf51 Posts: 35

Hi James, only just noticed your question...sorry!

The Ibis has a large wooden shed next to the hotel building, the hotel receptionist hands out the key on request. There were maybe 15 bikes in there last June, felt safe.

Just for info, there is a supermarket just opposite the hotel, and a bar 2 minutes walk away. There is also a burger/fries/sandwiches/beer van just in the hotel car park.....had a very welcome beer after both sides of the Madeleine :)

Simon

No problem and thanks for the info.

James
    nearly there.
  • I totally sympathise with your issues about doing La Marmotte and not getting to see the area. Most people ask for a 5 night booking or more, which leaves you sitting around the valley for days trying to save your legs for the race. I would highly recommend getting back to the Bourg d'Oisans area and booking through someone who can give you some inside info on all the alternative routes in the area. There are some spectacular balcony roads which are never use in the Tour de France, so are not particularly well know.

As you probably know, the Tunnel du Chambon was closed last year, so you probably didn't get to ride up the Col du Galibier. An alternative route has now been created on the other side of the lake, which restricts traffic to cars and minibuses. So next summer will be a great time to visit the area, before they build a new tunnel,and allow heavy traffic up the valley again.

Have you looked into La Vaujany Sportive, on the weekend prior to La Marmotte, or the Les Deux Alpes Granfondo in August? Both great events and significantly quieter than La Marmotte.

I live in Bourg, so if you need any more advice, then let me know.
  • ilav84
    ilav84 Posts: 124
    I totally sympathise with your issues about doing La Marmotte and not getting to see the area. Most people ask for a 5 night booking or more, which leaves you sitting around the valley for days trying to save your legs for the race. I would highly recommend getting back to the Bourg d'Oisans area and booking through someone who can give you some inside info on all the alternative routes in the area. There are some spectacular balcony roads which are never use in the Tour de France, so are not particularly well know.

As you probably know, the Tunnel du Chambon was closed last year, so you probably didn't get to ride up the Col du Galibier. An alternative route has now been created on the other side of the lake, which restricts traffic to cars and minibuses. So next summer will be a great time to visit the area, before they build a new tunnel,and allow heavy traffic up the valley again.

Have you looked into La Vaujany Sportive, on the weekend prior to La Marmotte, or the Les Deux Alpes Granfondo in August? Both great events and significantly quieter than La Marmotte.

I live in Bourg, so if you need any more advice, then let me know.

Cheers for the advice. However, I have booked a trip to the Morzine area of France for some cycling in July. I will definitely be heading back to Bourg at some stage though. Maybe even for a sportive in August time! I need to conquer La Marmotte at some stage and I definitely want to do Galibier. How lucky you are to live in Bourg!

• Cheers for the advice. However, I have booked a trip to the Morzine area of France for some cycling in July.

Best to avoid the 10th July weekend as Morzine will be heaving with 15 000 cyclists......(Etape!)
  • ilav84
    ilav84 Posts: 124

Cheers for the advice. However, I have booked a trip to the Morzine area of France for some cycling in July.

Best to avoid the 10th July weekend as Morzine will be heaving with 15 000 cyclists......(Etape!)

Yeah. I am going on the 12th. Hopefully most people will have cleared by that stage.