Cycling holiday in France July 2016

ilav84
ilav84 Posts: 124
edited December 2015 in Tour & expedition
Did La Marmotte last year and half tempted to sign up for the La Marmotte again but would also like the idea of a stress free cycling holiday in France with a few club mates. I loved the Marmotte last year but found that it was very stressful getting prepared for the event and I was surrounded by all these class climbs but not able to do them as I was resting for the event.

A few of the lads are looking to go to France to do some famous climbs around July time and have put me in charge of organising it. Thinking of 5 days with 4 of those cycling and trying to keep the cost down as well.

No doubt people on here will have done some similar holidays so I was looking so ideas.

- Looking for a good base close to the famous climbs.
- Somewhere that has decent accommodation (clean, internet, bike storage etc)
- Bike hire or bring our own?
- A few ideas of what climbs to do or what itinerary worked for you.
- Is it possible to drive to Mont Ventoux and do a day there?
Anything else you would recommend or do?

Should also have said we would consider doing a smaller scale local sportive over in the alps if anyone has any knowledge of that sort of thing.

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I'd stay for a week as a lot of the costs are fixed whether you are staying for 5 days or a week.
    I'd rent a house - they normally rent by the week and you wont pay that much so long as you aren't renting say around Alpe D'Huez in Marmotte week or somewhere near the Tour when it is in town.
    I wouldn't drive any distance just to do Ventoux you'll have done enough travelling and assuming you pick a decent base. If you want to do Ventoux then stay near Ventoux there is enough riding not a million miles away from there so make a decision either Ventoux area or the Alps.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,903
    We stayed in this one doing Paris to Rome a couple of years ago - it has a dedicated bike garage, wasn't expensive, and they were very welcoming: http://www.hotel-saintgeorges.com/fr/index.aspx - and it's a good centre for a lot of the famous climbs.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Le Grand Bornand is the best location I've been to for cycling, a fantastic town, some good climbs (Colombiere, Aravis, Croix Fry, Annecy etc) around there are plenty of nice routes to be had!

Briancon (Galibier, Izoard, Montgenevre, Sestriere) was also good and a nice town. Alpe d'Huez is possible from there too.

Bourg d'Oisans is also a great little place and plenty of climbs to be had (Alpe d'Huez, Galibier, Luataret and many others)

Bedoin itself is such a great place, I wouldn't put you off staying there for 3 or 4 nights, theres just something in the air in that place, magical if you're a cyclist.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I would (and do) go to France sometime in the last two weeks in June. It's classed as mid or even low season by many places so there will be more choice available and it will be cheaper.

In addition to some of the place already mentioned
    Jausier and Barcelonnette

http://www.routeyou.com/en-fr/location/bike/47234354/biking-in-jausiers-overview-of-all-cycling-routes

The Ventoux is a nice climb but I wouldn't go there for the day. The day you choose it could be blowing so hard at the summit you might not be able stand let alone cycle up it.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,903
    The Ventoux is a nice climb but I wouldn't go there for the day. The day you choose it could be blowing so hard at the summit you might not be able stand let alone cycle up it.
    Certainly not if involving a very long drive there, as, apart from anything, you'd probably want to start early and make at least a couple of ascents to make it a worthwhile day. Add in the immense variation in conditions there, and you could end up vary disappointed. My own view is that the climb itself is not terribly interesting: I'm reasonably glad I've done it, but have no great desire to rush back there again, despite spending weeks on end within two hours' drive of it every year.

Having said that, I'm sure that there's some great riding otherwise round the area, but if proper mountains are your thing, and you want to tick off a lot of the famous climbs in a week, then there are several decent options further north east.
  • whoof
    Forgot to say bike hire is relatively expensive in the Alps. 30 -90 Euros a day. So the longer your stay the more cost effective it is to take your own bike. The down side is then the packing, transfers etc with boxed up bikes.
    http://www.cyclesetsports.com/en/479-bike-hire

Regarding some where to stay you could consider renting a 'chalet' at a campsite. Can be reasonable valve if there are a few of you and can make sure you get more than a cup of coffee and a croissant at breakfast.

http://www.camping-colporteur.com/rental-chalets-france-isere.html
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    We stayed in St Jean de Sixt last year (near Le Grand Bornand) and it is excellent, near enough to Annecy and lots of great climbs.

This year we stayed at http://www.kingofthemountains.co.uk/ near Bourg D'Oisans and that was better again. Guy and Helyn who run the place are genuinely lovely people (and really good cooks), and the access to great climbs is second to none. We did Alpe D'Huez, Col de Sarenne, Balcons D'Auris, Col D'ornon (where KOTM is based, beautiful descent in the mornings), Col du Glandon, Croix de Fer, Lacets de Montvernier, the descent from Les Deux Alpes (take the telecabine up from Venosc and give the legs a break), and if there was more time could have done the Telegraph, the Galibier, Col de la Morte, and any number of other climbs. I'm not sure how we'll ever top that as a cycling holiday but we're having a go with the Stelvio next year.
  • ilav84
    Would you recommend the Pyrenees ahead of the Alps?
  • whoof
    Would you recommend the Pyrenees ahead of the Alps?

I like both but slightly prefer the Pyrenees, Mrs Whoof prefers the Alps.
    This is a good place to base yourself, although calling it the circle of death is a bit dramatic!
    http://velopeloton-cycling-pyrenees.bike/argeles-gazost/

I've stayed here and they rabbits (the pet type not wild ones) running all over the site. They also have cabins for rent.

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/france/midi-pyrenees/hautes-pyrenees/argeles-gazost/campsite-les-trois-vallees-103580/
  • DeVlaeminck
    If you stay in Bourg I can recommend this place as a base - http://bourgdoisans.com/noesit/!/fiche/combe-bernard-115140 Nice kitchen and living room, 3 bedrooms, 3 shower rooms, massive garage on the ground floor which is superb for bikes, couple of minutes from the centre of Bourg.
  • ilav84
    Bit out of our price range! Would love to do Raid Pyrenees but my mate is saving for a wedding and I think 5 days is the most I could get away without getting divorced.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Depends on how many you have - get 8-9 of you together and it's pretty cheap !
  • ilav84
    Yes very true but we only 3 or 4 I reckon! That would be a great place to stay though!
  • ilav84
    Any recommendations for road bike hire?
  • On this site you will find bike hire https://tourdriving.wordpress.com/france/ Find photo of a bike go down to Isère (38) region of Rhône-Alpes Look under postcode 38520 Bourg dÒisans
    https://tourdriving.wordpress.com bike hire and travel links, in 47 countries http://ukbikerentals.com UK Bike & Motorcycle hire in Counties after ABC
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Did La Marmotte last year and half tempted to sign up for the La Marmotte again but would also like the idea of a stress free cycling holiday in France with a few club mates. I loved the Marmotte last year but found that it was very stressful getting prepared for the event and I was surrounded by all these class climbs but not able to do them as I was resting for the event.

A few of the lads are looking to go to France to do some famous climbs around July time and have put me in charge of organising it. Thinking of 5 days with 4 of those cycling and trying to keep the cost down as well.

No doubt people on here will have done some similar holidays so I was looking so ideas.

- Looking for a good base close to the famous climbs.
    - Somewhere that has decent accommodation (clean, internet, bike storage etc)
    - Bike hire or bring our own?
    - A few ideas of what climbs to do or what itinerary worked for you.
    - Is it possible to drive to Mont Ventoux and do a day there?
    Anything else you would recommend or do?

Should also have said we would consider doing a smaller scale local sportive over in the alps if anyone has any knowledge of that sort of thing.

Stayed in and near St Jean du Maurienne, which is ideally placed. Galibier, Madeleine, Glandon, Croix der Fer, Mollard, Telegraph, Chaussy cols all very near. Huez not very far either. We stayed in St Jean once (Hotel Bernard...fairly grim) and nearby (Ibis Budget..clean, bike storage, need to drive for evening meal though). St Jean has plenty of restaurants etc.

Drove it once, which was too long, and flew to Geneva the second time which was much better, hired a car and its about 2 hours drive. Took my own bike in a BikeBoxAlan, also simple.

We did four consecutive days, any longer I would have taken a day off.
  • Stayed in and near St Jean du Maurienne, which is ideally placed. Galibier, Madeleine, Glandon, Croix der Fer, Mollard, Telegraph, Chaussy cols all very near. Huez not very far either. We stayed in St Jean once (Hotel Bernard...fairly grim) and nearby (Ibis Budget..clean, bike storage, need to drive for evening meal though). St Jean has plenty of restaurants etc.

Drove it once, which was too long, and flew to Geneva the second time which was much better, hired a car and its about 2 hours drive. Took my own bike in a BikeBoxAlan, also simple.

If you're in St.Jean de Maurienne, you HAVE to do the Lacets de Montvernier. Amazing.
  • ilav84
    Stayed in and near St Jean du Maurienne, which is ideally placed. Galibier, Madeleine, Glandon, Croix der Fer, Mollard, Telegraph, Chaussy cols all very near. Huez not very far either. We stayed in St Jean once (Hotel Bernard...fairly grim) and nearby (Ibis Budget..clean, bike storage, need to drive for evening meal though). St Jean has plenty of restaurants etc.

If you're in St.Jean de Maurienne, you HAVE to do the Lacets de Montvernier. Amazing.

Did it last year! Lovely climb and pretty easy actually with it only being 3 or 4 km long.

Have found plenty of places to stay in Bourg but haven't found anything decent in St Jean du Maurienne.
  • sheffsimon

We did it as part of Col du Chaussy, as you say, an amazing bit of road. I liked the Chaussy climb as well, some great views over the Maurienne valley.
  • daviegb
    daviegb Posts: 126
    I would second staying at Hotel St Georges in St Jean de Maurienne - I've stayed there twice & Martine is a brilliant hostess.

The choice of climbs is endless from there Madeleine, Lacets de Montvernier, Mollard, Croix de Fer, La Toussuire, Glandon, Telegraphe, Galibier - also consider both sides of Mont Cenis (plus a side detour to Col du Petit Mont Cenis) & Col d'Iseran - they start from Lanselbourg.

See this link for a vast choice of rides!!!

http://www.cycling-challenge.com/la-maurienne-valley-7-of-the-best-climbs-in-france/

Whatever you decide to do, have a great trip!
  • Not that I am biased but a great destination for any cyclist is Bagneres de Luchon. It was the start town for the very first TDF stage in the mountains back in 1910 and we have had it over 50 times since. It is not an expensive place to stay and there is a real warmth about the place probably because it is only 9k from the Spanish border.

Fantastic riding, some of the most frequently used cols in the Tour and amazing scenery. Not forgetting of course that for people staying in Luchon in July 2016 you will have the ability to easily watch 3 stages of the Tour (7, 8 9) and enjoy a bit of Spain as well.

Living here I am of course biased - but the number of people that have visited and gone away with big smiles is also testimony to just how good it is.

:D:D
    www.peak-times.com

Independent or supported cycling holidays in the French Pyrenees
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I stayed in St Michel de Maurienne this year while the TdF was on. ~It really is in the centre of a lot of climbs with the Telegraphe starting literally from the crossroads in the centre of the high street which then leads onto the Galibier.

Other climbs within easy distance are the Lacets de Montvernier, Col de Glandon and Croix de le Fer, La Toussuire all ridden on this year's TDF.

Alternative locations are St Jean de Maurienne which is about 15 km further down the valley.

It was 35 to 40 degrees in late July although some big ole thunderstorms too.

Plenty of cheap accommodation although prices were ramped up the week I went due to the tour being in town.

I drove from Surrey. towbar rack with 3 bikes on the back .Takes about 12 hours door to door.

The Maurienne valley is really massive. When I left St Michel to drive back to Blighty the autoroute was on a noticeable descent out of the mountains at an average 6 or 7% for over 40 miles, yes MILES. Amazing place.

That's my youngest son below in the blue following me up La toussuire. That's part of the Maurienne valley in the background including St Michel where we rode from a few hours earlier.

TDF_016.jpg
    FCN = 4
  • ilav84
    Cheers lads. Some great suggestions
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    The Maurienne valley is really massive. When I left St Michel to drive back to Blighty the autoroute was on a noticeable descent out of the mountains at an average 6 or 7% for over 40 miles, yes MILES. Amazing place.
    [/img]

Which would indicate a height drop of between 12,000 and 15,000 feet :lol:

But yes, some of those descents are mind boggling, there's a good long one from Le Grand Bornand to near Bonneville in the Haute Savoie.
  • jpf51
    jpf51 Posts: 35
    Question for SheffSimon. I'm looking to spend a few nights in the Ibis Budget next year. As you've stayed there could you give me a run down on the bike storage arrangements available please?

Thanks,
    James
    nearly there.
  • ilav84
    Anyone ever go cycling in France by yourself?
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Anyone ever go cycling in France by yourself?

Yes. I have done so.

Plan a Manche-Med-Manche next year. That will be solo.
  • Anyone ever go cycling in France by yourself?

Yes. Most days.
  • ilav84
    Fella I was meant to go cycling with in the middle of July has said he can't go anymore. I still want to go though and it is only for 4 nights or so as my wife will be coming over to meeting me after I have finished cycling. I was thinking of going with a tour company now and going out on their organised rides. Any recommendations in the Alps?
  • sheffsimon
    Question for SheffSimon. I'm looking to spend a few nights in the Ibis Budget next year. As you've stayed there could you give me a run down on the bike storage arrangements available please?

Thanks,
    James

Hi James, only just noticed your question...sorry!

The Ibis has a large wooden shed next to the hotel building, the hotel receptionist hands out the key on request. There were maybe 15 bikes in there last June, felt safe.

Just for info, there is a supermarket just opposite the hotel, and a bar 2 minutes walk away. There is also a burger/fries/sandwiches/beer van just in the hotel car park.....had a very welcome beer after both sides of the Madeleine :)

Simon