Base Training for Beginner

mike147147
mike147147 Posts: 24
Can anyone recommend a good base training plan for a beginner?

I've been cycling for years (commuting around 30-40 miles per week), recently I got a new road bike and have upped my mileage to around 100 per week (high intensity, up steep hills etc).

I've injured my knee, not sure whether it's because of bad cleat position or a case of "too much, too soon", so I've decided to take a step back and stop trying to beat my PBs and get Strava KOMs every ride.

I'm starting to do rides in Zone 2 staying at 90RPM, I've just got back from a 2 hour ride (zone 2).

How many hours/miles per week should I aim for?

Should I take a rest week once a month?

Is it best to do long rides less often (2/3/4 a week) or short rides every day?

Would my aerobic base have increased anyway if I'd just carried on hammering it on every ride? (I usually take 1-2 days off between rides depending on how I feel).

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What are your objectives?
  • No real objectives yet, I'd like to do some time trials in the future. I'll probably start with a 10 mile TT.

I also want to do some long rides at a decent pace, 100 miles+.

I was thinking of doing 6-8 hours a week in zone 2 for a few months (maybe a full winter), with one big ride on Sunday, gradually increasing my time each week. Then start training for a 10 mile TT.

I want to be on my bike as much as possible really, I've got a new bike so I'm very eager to ride it. After yesterday's easy 2 hour ride I feel like doing another one today. I know I should probably rest but it felt so easy and I wasn't tired at all.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,419
    I too am looking for a 'beginner training plan' and found just this on the British Cycling website.

Looks perfect though with any plan you need commitment and lots of it. It's 25 weeks long!

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/article/izn20140926-Training-Introduction-to-the-Beginners--Plan-0

It's very detailed and looks great. Not sure if I can commit that much time to it but I hope to follow the spirit of it.

Regards

nick

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• just ride your bike. dont go crazy, just ride and enjoy it. thats the zone you want. fitness will follow in the months ahead.
  • We have various plan options, but of course they are not free. There are other coaching companies that have plans too.
    http://www.rstsport.com/training/

Our plans are customised for you, and account for your experience, raining time available, recent training load, goals etc.

A 25 week plan is a bit long. There are very few people who can execute a plan with consistency over that long, rest of life tends to get in the way. hence you tend to need to review progress and adjust a little more regularly than that.

Main thing is to not overdo the increase in training, ride consistently and enjoy it.