Prescription Cycling Specs ?

2»

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    So you went to a professional. He was "surprised" they took a -5.25 RX( I would imagine being polite ). If, and its a big if they manage to make the job look anything better than clumsy they are a good buy.

You leave the shop and go home and order something online.

??????

Not sure I understand your point. Like I say I have to wear something - didn't fancy contacts \ Inserts\ or the laser eye surgery. The professional had no other ideas.

Sure Im not expecting them to look as good as the website - but I don't see what the other options are. The optician was surprised the frame I showed him took a -5.25 yes - but he didn't urge me not to buy them

Having spoken to an optician - what are you suggesting I should have done ?
  • My point was that you ask for advice a forum(which an optician offers advice) and with a optician in a practice. Both suggest that with your prescription the frames you have selected are far from ideal but you still go ahead and order them.

There are loads of frames designed to work with your prescription. Maybe the optician thought you were wasting their time as you were just going to order online anyway.

Best of luck.
  • kingrollo
    My point was that you ask for advice a forum(which an optician offers advice) and with a optician in a practice. Both suggest that with your prescription the frames you have selected are far from ideal but you still go ahead and order them.

There are loads of frames designed to work with your prescription. Maybe the optician thought you were wasting their time as you were just going to order online anyway.

Best of luck.

Im sorry - but that just isnt correct. your initial advice was to visit an optician - and seek his advice which I did - his advice was the sunglasses with inserts - which I have tried before and couldn't get on with.

He then said he had know people go the direct glaze route - but not to my prescription level - If you look on the extreme eye wear site they filter the results by prescription - and yes there are loads that my prescription won't take - and only a few that it will - (indeed some go to -7 )

you must be an extremely clever bloke if you know what an optician was thinking at a consultation - that you were not present at - and I am still keen to see the 'loads of frames' you mention -

However thank you for your advice - Im sorry you feel the belittle me with every reply (although to be fair your opening reply did forewarn of your irritation on this subject)
  • I would of happy taken your money and made sure they worked. I am -5.00 ish and always wanted the "Oakley" look. However they don't really work in practice.

Its frustrating when I suggested to visit an Opticians and it sounds like they either didn't have the products(some big chains are limited to what they can buy) or the knowledge.

I am interested in how they turn out and hope you feel you get value for money. I am not keen on internet sales for prescription like you have because they are difficult to get right for what you want. I get nervous and I've been doing this 23 years.

If you really struggle PM me and I will give you my shop number.

PS. I am a really clever bloke.
  • kingrollo
    I would have happy taken your money and made sure they worked. I am -5.00 ish and always wanted the "Oakley" look. However they don't really work in practice.

Its frustrating when I suggested to visit an Opticians and it sounds like they either didn't have the products(some big chains are limited to what they can buy) or the knowledge.

I am interested in how they turn out and hope you feel you get value for money. I am not keen on internet sales for prescription like you have because they are difficult to get right for what you want. I get nervous and I've been doing this 23 years.

If you really struggle PM me and I will give you my shop number.

PS. I am a really clever bloke.

Lol.

Yes - for better or worse I will post photos and results here.

If nothing else - it might save someone else £250 ! - I would much rather have brought from a shop than on-line - fingers crossed though !
  • kingrollo
    Hello O/P Here - If you recall I wanted wraparound sunglasses but my prescription is -5 - most companies won't attempt wrap arounds at such a high prescription - but extreme eyewear did and here are the results

IMG_2741_zps3o0azrl3.jpg

IMG_2743_zps2x2pjfpz.jpg

I am really pleased, they are transitions so a tint kicks in pretty quickly when outdoors - even in November !! they are quite thick from a side view - and this gives a bit of goggle effect on a clear lenses - but is unnoticeable once the tint kicks in . So granted they don't look as pretty as those on the web site - but with a -5 that's to be expected I suppose. Total cost £238 - gulp !!!!!