Prescription Cycling Specs ?

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
I have quite a strong prescription -5 (i think)

I currently have some direct glazed specs from optilabs, for the £90 I paid these have been great - but they aren't really very stylish !!!!

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for directly glazed specs ? - I've been looking at addidas evil eye - not cheap - but wondered if anyone has any other ideas - I want something that I won't feel a total 'tool' in if I stop at cafe etc

I ve tried inserts but didn't like them...

Comments

• kayodot
    kayodot Posts: 143
    I investigated this a few months back - I'd bought a pair of Rudy Projects with photochromic lenses, with the ambition of paying for prescription lenses. With a projected cost of around £200 for the lenses, I've since changed my mind.

For most name brands (Rudy, Oakleys, Adidas etc), you'll be looking for a similar price. RX Sports are one provider, Extreme Eyewear are another - from my communication with both of them, they source their lenses from the same supplier/factory that Rudy/Oakley etc source theirs from, but don't charge as much of a premium.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I bought some Oakley Flak Jackets from RXSport a couple of years ago. £290 with gold-tint transitions (photochromic) lenses; still going strong. I may still look like a tool, but at least I have decent glasses...
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    If you can make do with optical inserts, have a look at these:
    http://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/puma-sun-rx-05?sku=25672329
    £99 including the glazed prescription insert. I have some and they work for me; also Specsavers are doing a 2 for 1 deal so you get a second pair, and both pairs come with clear/orange/iridium lenses. The cost of glazing the second insert isn't included, but they will do that for about £40. So two pairs of prescription glasses = £140 or so.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Any idea what the cost would be for a bifocal prescription?
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • There was a discussion about this on a B'Twin Triban forum I occasionally frequent earlier this year. You can get a set of these from Amazon which come with a prescription insert http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M6JHKEM/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item . You can then get the prescription insert glazed from a company online (the one I was looking at in Ilford seems not to have a website any more :roll: but a quick Google for lens reglazing shows up a few). The glazing with my googly eyed -4.5 was going to be £30. I bought the glasses but haven't got round to getting the insert glazed because I've been meaning to get an eye test and use my new script, but you're looking at less than £50 for a pair of glasses with a selection of lenses for varying conditions. Not Oakley, I know, but they ought to work
  • Just Purchased some Oakley Half Jackets with RX sport Varifocals for £341. Quality glasses and you can do it on line.
  • kingrollo
    Thanks guys - just to say I have tried glasses with inserts and really didn't get on with them. Hence the direct glaze options.....cheers...
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Any idea what the cost would be for a bifocal prescription?

No, sorry
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,465
    i think oakley only go as far as -4. they'd definitely be my choice if they could do my prescription (+3.25)
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    The thing to watch out for is indexing. Most glasses are the same thickness at the center (1.5 index) getting fatter out towards the edge. If you've got a strong prescription (above +/- 4) this leads to glasses that are very thick at the edges and can't be glazed into curved sports glasses due to the extra width. And if you use RX inserts your restricted to tiny, beer bottle, style inserts that make you look like Mr Magoo.

The secret to getting round this is to have your lenses made to a higher index. This starts the glass off thinner in the center so that it's not as thick nearer the sides. But it's expensive. Most people with a +/- 3 prescription should probably fork out for lenses indexed to 1.6 but this typically costs an extra £30. People with +/- 4 prescriptions should fork out for 1.67 indexing but this typically costs an extra £60. And people with +/- 6 upwards prescriptions should probably fork out for a 1.74 (thinnest) index which typically costs an extra £120/140.

So for me (-6 in one eye, -4 in the other) i can buy a basic set of frames with lenses from somewhere like Glasses.co.uk for only £16 and have the lense 8mm thick at the edge (beer goggles) or splash out an extra £120 and have them only 3mm thick. Most sports glasses companies don't give you the option for higher indexing, hence the restriction on how high a prescription each frame or RX insert will take. The trick is to simply buy the frames or inserts on their own and have them glazed yourself by an online company like cillianblue with the indexing of your choice.

For instance, i bought a couple of pairs of Adidas Evil Eyes a few years ago, which came with those horrible, tiny, round, "Mr Magoo" style RX inserts (Standard 1.5 index) but hunted around and found a much bigger, wider insert that covered most of the inside of the frame and had some 1.74 index lenses glazed into them (anything less wouldn't of fit) instead. With standard indexing (1.5) those RX Inserts would of only held lenses for someone with a much lower prescription (probably not much more than +/- 2).

It's an unfortunate fact that people with higher prescriptions have to pay through the nose to have elegant looking sports or regular glasses over people with lower prescriptions but if you understand what your doing (and can afford it) then it's not impossible.
  • kingrollo
    The thing to watch out for is indexing. Most glasses are the same thickness at the center (1.5 index) getting fatter out towards the edge. If you've got a strong prescription (above +/- 4) this leads to glasses that are very thick at the edges and can't be glazed into curved sports glasses due to the extra width. And if you use RX inserts your restricted to tiny, beer bottle, style inserts that make you look like Mr Magoo.

The secret to getting round this is to have your lenses made to a higher index. This starts the glass off thinner in the center so that it's not as thick nearer the sides. But it's expensive. Most people with a +/- 3 prescription should probably fork out for lenses indexed to 1.6 but this typically costs an extra £30. People with +/- 4 prescriptions should fork out for 1.67 indexing but this typically costs an extra £60. And people with +/- 6 upwards prescriptions should probably fork out for a 1.74 (thinnest) index which typically costs an extra £120/140.

So for me (-6 in one eye, -4 in the other) i can buy a basic set of frames with lenses from somewhere like Glasses.co.uk for only £16 and have the lense 8mm thick at the edge (beer goggles) or splash out an extra £120 and have them only 3mm thick. Most sports glasses companies don't give you the option for higher indexing, hence the restriction on how high a prescription each frame or RX insert will take. The trick is to simply buy the frames or inserts on their own and have them glazed yourself by an online company like cillianblue with the indexing of your choice.

For instance, i bought a couple of pairs of Adidas Evil Eyes a few years ago, which came with those horrible, tiny, round, "Mr Magoo" style RX inserts (Standard 1.5 index) but hunted around and found a much bigger, wider insert that covered most of the inside of the frame and had some 1.74 index lenses glazed into them (anything less wouldn't of fit) instead. With standard indexing (1.5) those RX Inserts would have only held lenses for someone with a much lower prescription (probably not much more than +/- 2).

It's an unfortunate fact that people with higher prescriptions have to pay through the nose to have elegant looking sports or regular glasses over people with lower prescriptions but if you understand what your doing (and can afford it) then it's not impossible.

Very informative post than you.
    Are you saying that direct glazed specs for a -5 prescription - in a decent looking frame is a no go ? - or is do able but will be more expensive.....
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    its not easy, certainly. i'm -7, and have to work with a Rudy project frame, which is no bad thing, as they are great glasses, and RX inserts that are the best index. basically if you are around -7.5 or upwards you are going to have to cycle in your normal glasses.

rx sport do great inserts, but they are not cheap.
  • kingrollo
    One supplier have said they can do addidas evil eye direct glaze on a -5 prescription ?

Feasible ? - or haven't they understood ?
  • I read these with interest as a cyclist who wears specs and being an Optician.Most of the time the laptop gets thrown across the room as people just have no idea.

"The thing to watch out for is indexing. Most glasses are the same thickness at the center (1.5 index) getting fatter out towards the edge"

Myopic or - prescription have a centre thickness of 1.0m ish and get thicker towards the edge. Hyperopic or + are thickest in the center.

"The secret to getting round this is to have your lenses made to a higher index. This starts the glass off thinner in the center so that it's not as thick nearer the sides. "

Making a hi-index lens with reduce the edge thickness of a - RX with a + Rx it will reduce the center thickness.

Just making a lens hi-index does not solve everything and can cause more problems.

My advice is to leave the keyboard and go and see an Optician. Specsavers(limited choice) but cheap. A good independent will be able to give super advice and products that will work.

Just ask to see the Dispensing Optician as its the job to sort this stuff out.
  • I bought a pair of these http://www.tifosioptics.com/products/1030504750/ for £40 sent them to here http://www.ciliaryblue.com/single_pricelist.html?gclid=CMLwhOWeocgCFaOy2wodVFIEvQ for £70.
    Good quality prescription , polarized sunglasses for £110 , . one happy cyclist.
    regards
    ILG
  • kingrollo
    I bought a pair of these http://www.tifosioptics.com/products/1030504750/ for £40 sent them to here http://www.ciliaryblue.com/single_pricelist.html?gclid=CMLwhOWeocgCFaOy2wodVFIEvQ for £70.
    Good quality prescription , polarized sunglasses for £110 , . one happy cyclist.
    regards
    ILG

looks a possibility - but what is your prescription ?
  • I bought a pair of these http://www.tifosioptics.com/products/1030504750/ for £40 sent them to here http://www.ciliaryblue.com/single_pricelist.html?gclid=CMLwhOWeocgCFaOy2wodVFIEvQ for £70.
    regards
    ILG

looks a possibility - but what is your prescription ?

Not sure to be honest , the best thing is to call Cillaryblue and discuss , they were great with me , loads of info and vg service.
    MNark
  • kingrollo
    Extreme eyewear can do Rudy Project swifty - direct glazed with my prescription for £220-£250....

Doesn't sound to bad ? - whats everyone think ?
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    I looked into this a little over a year ago. In the end, I decided that rather than buy 2 pairs of glasses with heavy lenses in both pairs, I'd put the money into getting one pair that I wear on and off the bike. I got some Oakley frames with lightweight, photochromic lenses and they've been great.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Worth bearing in mind that there are quite a few pros and cons between direct glazed and insert prescriptions. I got the latter for a recent cycling tour (BBB plus Ciliary Blue for about £60 all in irrc - very good quality and the inserts are invisible behind the mirrored lens). I thought about direct glazed but decided against for the following reasons.

1) Much more expensive
    2) Inserts mean you can swap the tints over as weather conditions require
    3) If you damage a tint, you can use one of the others and replace them cheaply (or use them as back up plain glasses if need be).

Lack of flexibility ultimately put me off the direct glazed route. I probably won't wear the BBBs much on day rides as I have some nice non prescription sunglasses that I can use with contact lenses.

The main bother with the BBBs is that the inserts mean that the frames wrap round the face less well - they need to allow space for the inserts of course. But that doesn't really matter or show when you have a helmet on.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • They will look pretty awful with your RX.
  • kingrollo
    They will look pretty awful with your RX.

Not understanding ....what is an RX ?
  • Prescription.
  • kingrollo
    They will look pretty awful with your RX.

Not understanding ....what is an RX ?

Thing is - I have to wear something

Anyway went to an optician to see what he said - He suggested the sunglasses with the inserts, I have previously tried these but found them lethal in the rain - and pretty prone to misting up on colder morinings.

He also suggested contact lenses and maybe either laser surgery - neither of which particularly appealed.

I showed him the Rudy Projects - and he was surprised they took a -5.25 prescription, but reckoned they would be a good buy at under £250.....

I came back to order and was really pleased that extreme eyewear had a 10% coupon code ! - so got the projects, direct glazed, with transitions for £238 - serious money - lets hope they are worth it ....will post pictures when they arrive.....
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Don't dismiss contacts out of hand. It may be worth giving them a try. I am the opposite way - order of +5 on my prescription.

I have the inserts for my rudy projects too. The inserts glazed were <>120.

Really for direct glaze, you need to speak to opticians. Anything that's a close fit tends not to be available - you need to talk specifics to someone with the details of what can be done.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • kingrollo
    Don't dismiss contacts out of hand. It may be worth giving them a try. I am the opposite way - order of +5 on my prescription.

I have the inserts for my rudy projects too. The inserts glazed were <>120.

Really for direct glaze, you need to speak to opticians. Anything that's a close fit tends not to be available - you need to talk specifics to someone with the details of what can be done.

Paul.

I have used contacts in the past - but really couldn't be bothered with all that again.

The guy I spoke to was an optician (and a cyclist to....) ......

Anyway its done now - worse case scenario - I have a very expensive pair of sunglasses !!
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    No problem. One of the big things I like about contacts is it isn't too expensive when my prescription changes...
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • So you went to a professional. He was "surprised" they took a -5.25 RX( I would imagine being polite ). If, and its a big if they manage to make the job look anything better than clumsy they are a good buy.

You leave the shop and go home and order something online.