LF advice on setting up to train after ankle fusion

myusername
myusername Posts: 10
edited September 2015 in Training, fitness and health
Hello all...forum noob here.

I had been riding my Trek Pilot 2.1 for about 2 years prior to a work related accident I had last summer (June 25 2014)

I suffered a pilon fracture (actually mutiple fractures) in my tibia and had orif surgery with 2 plates and 12 screws trying to put "Humpty Dumpy" back together again. After attempting rehab for about 6 months and fighting with the work comp ins company I had fusion surgery on June 1 2015 which I considered a HUGE success. I'm not having near the amount of pain I had after the orif surgery.

I'm looking for advice on setting up my bike on a trainer. I have already looked @ dual purpose pedals and a couple of different trainer in the price range between $60-$150. The peadals I've been looking @ are Shimano PD-M324 and M530. Also the Wellgo R120B and a couple of different Shimano shoes like the MT34. Im also looking to buy a used 700x23 rear wheel and cassette and go with either a inexpensive tire or trainer tire

So there you have it. Any advice and suggestion will be much appreciated and anyone with any of the above used equipment I am Paypal verified and ready to deal :) Regards,

Matt

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Hello all...forum noob here.

I had been riding my Trek Pilot 2.1 for about 2 years prior to a work related accident I had last summer (June 25 2014)

I suffered a pilon fracture (actually mutiple fractures) in my tibia and had orif surgery with 2 plates and 12 screws trying to put "Humpty Dumpy" back together again. After attempting rehab for about 6 months and fighting with the work comp ins company I had fusion surgery on June 1 2015 which I considered a HUGE success. I'm not having near the amount of pain I had after the orif surgery.

I'm looking for advice on setting up my bike on a trainer. I have already looked @ dual purpose pedals and a couple of different trainer in the price range between $60-$150. The peadals I've been looking @ are Shimano PD-M324 and M530. Also the Wellgo R120B and a couple of different Shimano shoes like the MT34. Im also looking to buy a used 700x23 rear wheel and cassette and go with either a inexpensive tire or trainer tire

So there you have it. Any advice and suggestion will be much appreciated and anyone with any of the above used equipment I am Paypal verified and ready to deal :) Regards,

Matt

I used Wellgo pedals that were one side spd and other flat. They were great for commutting in heavy traffic.

I won't profess to know much about your injury - but I would imagine some off the bike flexibility work would help. I ve tried pilates and yoga, and found the yoga in particular to be helpful.

Keep at it - manage your expectations, I am sure you will get there...
  • Matt,

welcome.

After 3 years of other treatments, I too had an ankle fusion in Feb 2015.

I'm still getting back on the bike, albeit a bit too slow for my liking. But I want this to work out long term.

Like you the fusion was a great success and the pain is so much less than previously trying to function without any cartilage left in the ankle.

I currently have a bike set up a turbo in the garage. I have been using Shimano MTB SPD type pedals and they seem to give enough movement for my restricted movement.
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
  • Matt,

welcome.

After 3 years of other treatments, I too had an ankle fusion in Feb 2015.

I'm still getting back on the bike, albeit a bit too slow for my liking. But I want this to work out long term.

Like you the fusion was a great success and the pain is so much less than previously trying to function without any cartilage left in the ankle.

I currently have a bike set up a turbo in the garage. I have been using Shimano MTB SPD type pedals and they seem to give enough movement for my restricted movement.

Glen, thank for the welcome. I'm anxious to setup my bike at home with a trainer (as I mentioned in my original post trainer budget up to $150)

As soon as I can get some suggestions on a trainer within my budget and maybe a couple of shoe recommendations I will decide which shoe/cleat combo will work best with one of the combo pedals and how easy/difficult for someone who has had fusion surgery to get in and out of.