Fuelling for longer rides - sensitive stomach

Spooked
Spooked Posts: 90
Hi,

I'm lactose and to a degree caffeine intolerant. Gels and bananas I find kill my stomach and I have trouble getting cliff bars down me when riding.

Just wondering what other options there might be that I could try?

Appreciate any help or advice. I'm really struggling and my pace drops off a phenomenal amount currently.

Comments

• charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
    edited September 2015
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Not sure dates would be a good idea. Could give them a try but I would fear for anyone riding behind me haha.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Clif bars can be a bit hefty. I do like them though.

Have a look at Powerbar wafers. Very light and like an old school biccie. Nice when you're on a long run and sick of energy foods.
  • I had issues getting enough food in fast enough for my stomach to process due to being unable to properly digest food on challenge walks I used to do. Not quite cycling but IMHO shares shares some of the same issues for me. I used to eat fig rolls. Two packs in plastic bags in a pocket and eat little and often with water intake. Worked for me but needed the toilet at the end! Not good for really long routes because of that. Not as bad as dates though.

I found gels and sports bars all give me issues so I prefer less synthetic solutions. Whatever you use it's little and often just like they recommend for water intake.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    human digestion transfers glucose at c. 60g/hour

try glucose in water, 60g/hour

if you can't handle glucose, you're unlikely to be human
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • That's great thanks. Will give the glucose a go and the wafer things. Cheers!
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Fruity soreen?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    That's great thanks. Will give the glucose a go and the wafer things. Cheers!

if it works for you, add a smidge of salt, not enough to taste, on longer rides it may help

do keep looking for solid food that works for you, especially earlier on in the ride, sweet stuff gets boring

sucrose (white table sugar) is an alternative, this gets turned into glucose and fructose by the sucrase enzyme, they are then transferred, some people are intolerant to sucrose, but it's pretty rare in people of european descent

so if glucose works, try sucrose, it's easier to come by and you can absorb more energy this way as the glucose and fructose use different pathways, though glucose tastes a bit less sweet than sucrose, so palatability is also a factor to consider

lactose intolerance in adults is quite common (typically lack of the lactase enzyme), afaik no reason it should affect uptake of other sugars
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,499
    I've had most success with energy drink and then maybe some fig rolls - I find them easy on my stomach.
  • I also find bananas hard for my stomach, but only when im riding my bike. I feel bad when i drink caffeine, so max ½ a cup a day...
    I usally use energy drink, 50g of carbs, in 1 bottle.. Im almost only eating dry fruit on the bike. Like dates, abricots and cranberries :)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I favour fig rolls and jelly babies if I'm on a long ride but not planning to stop; easy to fish out of a rear pocket.

For more leisurely all day rides I'll also make up some sarnies and even take a flask of tea. Easier if I stop for these though.
  • I mostly have dry fruits on long rides. Apricots, fig rolls are quite satisfying. Caffeine does no good, hence I avoid it by all means. A cup of tea sometimes.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Has nobody mentioned cake stops ? That's what you need.
  • nick-gti
    nick-gti Posts: 131
    I too have a fussy stomach, I find energy bars by Trek and Nakd don't give me any issues with my stomach at all.
    https://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk/trek-protein-bars/trek-protein-berry-burst-bar/
    Also High5 energy gels don't upset me either.

Making your own flapjacks is an option and very easy