Cycling after major lung surgery

shindig
shindig Posts: 173
I'm just out of hospital after having my left lung upper lobe removed (75% of lung) 5 weeks ago and 10% of my right lung removed I'm May due to bowel cancer. I got back into cycling 3 years ago after having surgery to remove a tumour. I changed my lifestyle and got fit. I was mostly into MTBing and got back my fitness after my first lung operation in May.

I bought a CX bike to do road miles after this operation as last time going out on the MTB was just too sore, but just now I'm out of breath after going up the steet. I'm going to purchase a smart turbo trainer so I can track my fitness and progress towards getting fitter

Has anyone on this forum gone through a similar surgery ? If so how was the recovery back to fitness, what kind of exercise / training did you do ? and how much of your lung capacity fitness did you regain ?

I'm feeling a bit downhearted at the moment as I'm at the very start of my recovery journey and feel I'm not doing that well.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    With the sincerest respect I'd try to break your journey back to health into bite size chunks. Go for small improvements and dont measure yourself against anyone else as that only increases the pressure you put on yourself.

Your will and mindset are a credit to you given the events you've gone though and your fitness will follow.

Best wishes, heal well and quickly.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I don't have a percentage, but I had a small chunk of my top right lung removed about 6-7 years ago, so I can only advice on my experiences, which are no where near as extreme as yours.

It hasn't stopped me from doing anything. I won't win any races (though I didn't before the op!) and climbing can be very challenging (learning to climb seated becomes more important. It will take time, and it will be frustrating at times, but you will get stronger again.

I can hang with the fast boys for a while, but nothing like I used to.

It is partly what pushed me towards long distance riding, as the more moderate pace meant I was not going to need my lungs so much.

It hurts a bit when it is cold and damp.

I wish you all the best in your recovery. Take it steady, accept that your chances of winning the Tour are probably over and enjoy your riding.

Think about a change in the style of cycling you do - touring or long distance are both going to be easier on your lungs.

Good luck!
  • I have no advice but lot's of best wishes to you.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Crikey! That's over 40% of your lungs removed :shock:

What do the medics say about how much of your former lung capacity you're likely to recover?

Quick scan of a couple of published studies suggests 6 months after removal of a single lobe patients were on the way back to pre-op respiratory performance (85%) and virtually 100% after a year. That's older, average people, rather than the elite athlete you clearly are...
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    Thanks for the replies and support. Good advice on not comparing myself to others from Slowmart. Even comparing myself to my old self hurts.

Got the turbo setup and taking it easy to start with. I was backup to speed ( nearly) in about 10 weeks after my smaller op which removed only 10% of my right lung.

This time it will be tougher. Especially as I was in hospital for 5 weeks and lost 5.5 kilos. My starting point is much lower.

Keef66, the medics couldn't give me an exact figure. They told me I would notice on the hills though. I Have done some searching and found some of the stats you mentions. There is hope, I have determination and I'm still a relative youngster at 48 which should help.

Cheers.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Wow no wonder you are a bit down. I'd be suicidal after that. Well done, keep going. Small baby steps would be my suggestion and just concentrate on enjoying it. Good Luck - maybe find someone on a similar journey to ride with?