Power Meter for Fixed Gear

2»

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Are y'all's certain that Stages use the same firmware for the 7710 as for their other PM's?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg

• I do also love the power meter snobs, 'oh your not racing/competitive/training properly, you couldn't possibly ever be deserving or needing of one'. It's handy data, training or not.

It's handy data... even collecting plots of temperature, wind speed and rainfall in Chipping Camden is handy data, but if you don't fit them in some sort of framework or context, per se they are meaningless
    left the forum March 2023
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Continuing to stir the pot for the purists ... Sitting here with the SRAM S300 in my bike24 shopping basket, but realising that I will also need to change my bars, stem, pedals, seat post, and brake levers to match a black crankset. Power2Max has similar concern. The delta between that exercise (£650 ish) (plus faff) and the 7710 is falling quickly (call it £900 all in). Wonderful, now I've talked myself into (a) more than doubling my budget and (b) slathering lipstick all over a pig....
  • Grill
    £900 all in for Stages 7710? Seems high since the PM is £459 from Sigma. Cheaper to go with Power2Max Rotor Track chainset.
  • When I get an upgrade urge, I buy a new set of tyres... not overly expensive and generally they are actually useful... suggest you try that route first
    left the forum March 2023
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I research the hell out of something, workout what the best is, get bored of looking and after a few days realise I either don't need it or get the sensible/cheaper one.

but upgrading your entire commuter around the chainset colour is madness...

..but I completely get it ;)
  • dyrlac
    Grill wrote:
    £900 all in for Stages 7710? Seems high since the PM is £459 from Sigma. Cheaper to go with Power2Max Rotor Track chainset.

Sigma had at most 2 in stock at that price, which are now gone. £900 is £600 for the stages unit, £250 for the crankset, £50 for the chainring, £50 for the BB, less whatever I could flog the NDS crank arm for. Ebay would do a little better, especially if I was willing to have things shipped from Japan.
    When I get an upgrade urge, I buy a new set of tyres... not overly expensive and generally they are actually useful... suggest you try that route first

Eh, I like my existing tyres, They have a red stripe and everything. New wheels, now .... :)
  • Grill
    They had full stock for the last 3 weeks (I know because I almost bought one from them but sourced it for less), should have pulled the trigger then.

I'll probably sell you mine in a month when I figure out the data quality is pants and buy the P2M instead.
  • where are teh garmin single sided deals for 400 quid ? cheapest i have found is around 540 quid

I'm seriously contemplating the BePro option
  • Grill
    I've looked at the track data from my Stages 7710. Looks pretty consistent. I'll have to see over a few more sessions to know for certain.
  • dyrlac
    Cheers Grill. Sigma briefly had some in stock at £499 again, but I was too late in the queue. I'm told mine should arrive by mid November.

In the meantime I've installed the 7710 crankset (as per the fettling thread on the commuting chat forum). Got the crankset and BB off Bike24.de and a DA 45T chainring from Wiggle. I've persisted with 45x15, but my legs are shot after a full week of it plus the usual wattbike sessions. Will give it another week before I drop down to 45x16.

Also assume everyone has seen the Brim Bros email. Q3 2016 if you put your name down now.
  • How do power meters respond to the back torque when you slow your pedalling on a fixie? Do they read negative?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    How do power meters respond to the back torque when you slow your pedalling on a fixie? Do they read negative?

My powertap only registers forward.

It also works out cadence based on power spikes which when pedaling downhill like a mad man often reads 0 rpm! :lol:
  • dyrlac
    And to update, the stages unit has arrived. Installed it over the weekend. Seems to do what it says on the tin, but I find myself resenting being a right-footed starter from traffic lights because I don't get full "credit" for my sprint start! Any anomalies to look out for Grill?