Change of saddle height

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,480
edited September 2015 in Training, fitness and health
So I'm on a club ride and some fiendly advice was offered that I'd benefit from dropping my seat height to ensure I'd complete a smooth pedal stroke.

Fair comment and I dropped the saddle for my next ride by 12mm and at first found the position a little low but thought I'd carry on as the overall pedal stroke was smoother and 50 or so miles later I was comfortable. So no issues except after the ride when I was using a roller on my leg muscles. The back of my thigh was tight where usually it's fine while my IT band which is usually painful to roller was pain free.

So is it simply using the same muscles except with differing geometry that has caused the issue?

The tempo of the ride wasn't high where I'd expect a painful roller session so is it simply crack on and educate the muscles with the lower saddle height?
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    12mm is a big drop in one go so you will always feel that no matter if the change was needed or not. Without pictures the experts here can't tell you much.