NFTO and ONE Pro Cycling

Shadowrider
Shadowrider Posts: 483
edited November 2015 in Pro race
NFTO posted this tweet:

National B race @HitterRr all the best teams in the country coming for an end of season bash apart from ONE says it all....

What's it alluding to?

Where's the beef?

Comments

• effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    I'd imagine it's that ONE think they are better than all of the national teams. The way they are doing things with the end goal of World Tour makes them seem a bit aloof if you ask me. Certainly got that feeling from them at the starts at ToB last week.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    When they say 'end of season bash' do they just mean the road race they've organised and ONE aren't bothering with it?
  • Yes - there is some beef between ONE and at least some of the other domestic teams.

I only hear bits and bobs - lyn1 probably knows more
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Yes - there is some beef between ONE and at least some of the other domestic teams.

Wasn't there some big issue between One and Madison, followed by the rest of the teams, during this years tour series? With One riding as a team when Madison had some issues early doors, one of these unwritten rules being broken.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Ironically I expected it to be NFTO that would get that reputation when they came into the domestic scene with a big budget and their version of the Death Star but they appear quite popular. It would be a shame if a team isn't popular because they have ambition but I assume there's more to it than that.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    Yes - there is some beef between ONE and at least some of the other domestic teams.

There are guys from 4 of the Conti teams who use my local cafe. Plenty of banter, but never noticed any animosity. Good mates and they have trained together for years. If there is an issue I think its more corporate than individual. Maybe just disappointment that ONE didn't attend the NFTO organised race.
  • Yes - there is some beef between ONE and at least some of the other domestic teams.

Wasn't there some big issue between One and Madison, followed by the rest of the teams, during this years tour series? With One riding as a team when Madison had some issues early doors, one of these unwritten rules being broken.

Definitely seems to be a bit of needle between those two - before one of the KOM points sections in the Tour of Britain Madison were a bit cheeky and came forward as a team to block Williams in (fair enough) but they then forced him off the road and onto the verge!
  • Couldn't see him at the start line but I believe Jon Mould was riding today
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Could ONE Procycling be described as a team that's a Dairylea that thinks it' s a Brie

(Obscure reference there)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Could ONE Procycling be described as a team that's a Dairylea that thinks it' s a Brie

Good one though
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Could ONE Procycling be described as a team that's a Dairylea that thinks it' s a Brie

Good one though

grabs the KP nuts and sits back to watch this one develop ;)

wouldn't be at all surprised if he is back at NFTO next year. I don't know anything about 'beef' between ONE and other teams, maybe they have approached riders about next year in ways that others don't agree with?

I must say I did the Betty Pharaoh nat B early season and it was mainly NFTO and ONE there with squads, my chain jumped off and got stuck, then ONE car paced me back on which i was grateful for, but at that race I think Marcin attacked one of the NFTO boys when he was taking his jacket off or something and there was a bit of tension after that, possibly started there? they did seem to be taking Nat Bs very seriously at the start of the year when you compare that to Madison who don't even get their race bikes if they do Nat Bs.

Most of the riders are all mates, always going to be a few who rub people up the wrong way but thats life
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Couldn't see him at the start line but I believe Jon Mould was riding today

wouldn't be at all surprised if he is back at NFTO next year. I don't know anything about 'beef' between ONE and other teams, maybe they have approached riders about next year in ways that others don't agree with?

I must say I did the Betty Pharaoh nat B early season and it was mainly NFTO and ONE there with squads, my chain jumped off and got stuck, then ONE car paced me back on which i was grateful for, but at that race I think Marcin attacked one of the NFTO boys when he was taking his jacket off or something and there was a bit of tension after that, possibly started there? they did seem to be taking Nat Bs very seriously at the start of the year when you compare that to Madison who don't even get their race bikes if they do Nat Bs.

Most of the riders are all mates, always going to be a few who rub people up the wrong way but thats life
    I own a team, so I'll give you my thruppance.

We were at Betty Pharoah and that is pretty much when the beef started. Marcin dropped back to the NFTO car to ask if he could drop his jacket off, Pov let him, then when their guy did he attacked. Pov was certainly giving Marcin beef after that.

Some of the Conti teams were scared about One coming in as big as they did and damaging their potential for sponsorship. But they're moving on up, so that's less an issue now.

Tour Series.. Yeah. Madison lost a guy, team dropped back to help, One appeared to ramp the pace on the front. But I'm semi-certain that wasn't intentional.

Then there's been issues about One and Pedal Heaven working together domestically which Pov, Herety and Cherie certainly didn't seem too happy about.

Then there was the motor pacing incident at the Beaumont Trophy which led to their podium.

Great setup with some cracking guys at One, just seems like a series of unfortunate events.. I can see Mouldy back at NFTO next year too though.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    What was the pacing incident?

Read yesterday that Pedal Heaven are putting a team in at Conti next year and keeping the current set up for young riders.

I own a team, so I'll give you my thruppance.

We were at Betty Pharoah and that is pretty much when the beef started. Marcin dropped back to the NFTO car to ask if he could drop his jacket off, Pov let him, then when their guy did he attacked. Pov was certainly giving Marcin beef after that.

Some of the Conti teams were scared about One coming in as big as they did and damaging their potential for sponsorship. But they're moving on up, so that's less an issue now.

Tour Series.. Yeah. Madison lost a guy, team dropped back to help, One appeared to ramp the pace on the front. But I'm semi-certain that wasn't intentional.

Then there's been issues about One and Pedal Heaven working together domestically which Pov, Herety and Cherie certainly didn't seem too happy about.

Then there was the motor pacing incident at the Beaumont Trophy which led to their podium.

Great setup with some cracking guys at One, just seems like a series of unfortunate events.. I can see Mouldy back at NFTO next year too though.

the Tour Series was 100% intentional, they knew madison had dropped back and knew what they were doing or trying to do, had they kept gap steady rather than ride full gas they would never have dropped so many riders meaning there would have been more between their riders and Madison riders, bit of Karma in the final round some may say? both those incidents occurred due to what I think is a silly rule having 5 riders to count and no laps out.
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    [/quote]the Tour Series was 100% intentional, they knew madison had dropped back and knew what they were doing or trying to do, had they kept gap steady rather than ride full gas they would never have dropped so many riders meaning there would have been more between their riders and Madison riders, bit of Karma in the final round some may say? both those incidents occurred due to what I think is a silly rule having 5 riders to count and no laps out.[/quote]

No laps out being stopped was the riders fault from what I had heard, too many "mechanicals" after riders had been dropped just to rejoin the next lap and lapped riders getting in the way in sprints.
  • I take it Sky are not on this list?

I remember when Sky came along pretty much all the domestic teams slagged them off no end. Cyclists aren't vindictive people at all...

Thing is all these teams and those in the teams would be quite happy to jump ship to a 'bigger' team. :wink:
  • So, I asked around and got a few answers about NFTO and ONE and the general attitude amongst the domestic teams towards the latter

- seems that NFTO's owner John Wood wasn't wild about another team coming onto the scene with an even shinier bus than his
    - ONE's antics in a number of races rubbed up other teams the wrong way in a big way
    - the ex-UK Youth riders who joined ONE were instructed to stop all communication with Dave Povall, and some went so far as to cut him out of their lives altogether
    - ONE's press release pre-ToB announcing rider signings, was seen as disrespectful by the other teams
  • The tour series incident was ultimately a mistake by Madison - The pace was hot at the front with Biablocki attacking/driving it and then Hammond seemed to give the instruction for them all to drop back. He then stood in the pits with his hands on his head realising that it might have been a bit of a mistake, given the pasting that they were then handed out.

It did bring to light just how weird the ranking system is on the Tour Series, the previous one was interesting and gave the competition an extra dimension but the timing one is a bit daft IMO
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    So, I asked around and got a few answers about NFTO and ONE and the general attitude amongst the domestic teams towards the latter

- seems that NFTO's owner John Wood wasn't wild about another team coming onto the scene with an even shinier bus than his
    - ONE's antics in a number of races rubbed up other teams the wrong way in a big way
    - the ex-UK Youth riders who joined ONE were instructed to stop all communication with Dave Povall, and some went so far as to cut him out of their lives altogether
    - ONE's press release pre-ToB announcing rider signings, was seen as disrespectful by the other teams

So basically the same whinge we had about NFTO the year before and Sky in previous years.
  • I'm surpised nobody has noted that Matt Prior is an utter wool and a full kit w@nker yet.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • I'm surpised nobody has noted that Matt Prior is an utter wool and a full kit w@nker yet.
    Some things go without saying. In fact, he's just a w@nker...
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Some funny tweets by the NFTO side today after Steele Von Hoff finally announced his move. Nice provocative tweets from him first though.
  • Some funny tweets by the NFTO side today after Steele Von Hoff finally announced his move. Nice provocative tweets from him first though.

Whatever has gone on, they gave him a home when Garmin wouldn't renew his contract, and he wanted to stay in Europe. Perhaps he could have gone through the motions at least of a nod to them with a couple of words, instead of just a hey look I'm going on to bigger and better things
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Why would One Pro attend a nat b anyway?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Why would One Pro attend a nat b anyway?

because there is far too few high level races in the UK
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Nowt stopping them going overseas and racing is there.

I don't see that there is anything all that great about turning up and winning races where 75% of the field have full time jobs - especially when you then deride the category in interviews to the 'press'
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • i did think their step up was strange seeing as they weren't exactly ambitious last year, look what Endure did before they stepped up, had a mega calendar and won loads in UK and abroad
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I don't see ONE Pro on the list of Pro Conti teams to make October 1 deadline. I thought that was their plan?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/17-teams-register-for-2016-worldtour/
  • I don't see ONE Pro on the list of Pro Conti teams to make October 1 deadline. I thought that was their plan?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/17-teams-register-for-2016-worldtour/

Its odd. Unless it was all talk by Prior for max publicity around ToB. It could be a paperwork thing, but if so I'd have expected confirmation by now along those lines via say the Comic (who will definitely have been trying to get a comment out of them for the last 24 hours)

As for Team Colombia, IMO the UCI Licensing Commission should reject their application until their management is replaced and the team run along lines that ensure the riders actually get their monthly paycheck. Whats been going on for 2 years now (and the Colombian cycling fed have to share responsibility for this) is a disgrace