Most anticipated races 2016

Yellow Peril
Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
edited September 2015 in Pro race
Early days I know but after the Worlds we'll be entering the doldrums so I thought it would be good to discuss our most anticpated races for next year and perhaps say why.

MSR is always a big one for me. Possibly because it is the first monument but also it is one classic win that is difficult to take away from a sprinter due to the length and the presence of a couple of long climbs.

Harelbeke and the RVV are next on the list because by this time the big classics teams are in full flight. Harelbeke particularly has had good racing the last couple of years.

More later, what's yours?
@JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Het Nieuwsblad. The wait is finally over.

Also LBL. I just love the spring classics and it will be great to see how Martin goes in a proper classics squad.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    oi... Lombardy comes after the Worlds and that race is the pinnacle of the season!

RVV and PR for me. Will Sep ever step up.

And I love the Giro, every year...
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The Beacon Little Mountain Time Trial for me.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • The Beacon Little Mountain Time Trial for me.

You're in with a chance of winning it next season!
    @JaunePeril

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The Beacon Little Mountain Time Trial for me.

You're in with a chance of winning it next season!

Hopefully my age category :)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • oi... Lombardy comes after the Worlds and that race is the pinnacle of the season!

RVV and PR for me. Will Sep ever step up.

And I love the Giro, every year...

I think a lot was expected of Sep this season which didn't materialise. Late prep or just exhaustion in the Spring? I think he's having a crack at the ITT in the Worlds isn't he?
    @JaunePeril

• The first.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • The first.

Fair enough in which case I would expect him to bag one because even though he was under cooked he was always somewhere close to the selection.

With a thorough changing of the guard (I'm assuming we may have see the last of Boonen and Canc as shoe-in certs) he might be worth placing a few quid on now for those races.
    @JaunePeril

• Omloop- First real race of the year and it comes past the door twice.
    RVV- Really looking forward to seeing Thijs in his first real crack at it.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    The Tour de France!!!!

As much as I love the other races throughout the season, nothing quite takes over my life like the Tour. The pre-race speculation, the height of summer, the fact I can watch it on telly, the big names at the top of their game, the stunning heli shots, the crashes and the pain and the agony and the sheer unbridled joy of the winners on a daily basis. It's also the one race of the year that my "non-pro-cycling-fan" friends and colleagues are interested in. And, we've had some quality racing for the past few years.

As our podcast friends say, the tour is The Tour.
  • Apart from the usual slew of classics and Tirenno Adriatico im quite looking forward to the Olympic RR & TT.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    PR is always my favourite Classic, but I'm more into the mountains so already looking forward to P-N and TA. Frankly the Middle Eastern races are a bit dull except the odd stage.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    edited September 2015
    I would say the Olympic road race, which I think will be a belter. Unfortunately, however, it's on the same day as my parents' golden wedding anniversary so I'll probably miss it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • I enjoyed races last year that don't always come to life - especially the two Spanish week races Vasco and Catalunya . I used to like P-N over T-A but the former seems to have de-valued somehow. Same with Suisse and the Dauphine - Dauphine is one of my favourites but Suisse has been better recently. I think the Tour will be excellent in 2016- an all French race (apart from day in Andorra)

The classics - nothing not to love

Most anticipated is the Etoile de Besseges as it marks the start of the season !!
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I would say the Olympic road race, which I think will be a belter. Unfortunately, however, it's on the same day as my parents' golden wedding anniversary so I'll probably miss it.

I'm sure your parents will understand.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716

The Wimbledon final was the day of my parents' diamond wedding anniversary party - with lots of guests. My father stood up, called for silence and said that everyone was welcome to stay in the main room and drink /chat after lunch or join him in the bar where drinks would be provided and Andy Murray was on the telly.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    One of my mates got married at 3:30pm on the day of England v Scotland, Euro 96. KO was 3pm.

Nightmare.
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    Tour of Qatar......
  • Paris-Roubaix. There's always action in the middle and it seems to split and come back together a lot more than most races.

MSR always promises lots but inevitably comes down to a 30 man sprint (bar the 2013 Snow Special).
    Looks nice tho.
  • MSR, obviously. Mainly because it heralds the prospect of a chip supper two days later, wrapped in the race report.

This joke for IainF.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • I'd forgotten it was an Olympic year and a couple of posters have reminded me of that. The last one was an edge of the seat race for much hyped reasons. I sometimes wonder if Cav had got it whether or not he'd have secured a knighthood out of it.

I suspect he might of bearing in mind it would have been the perfect marriage of Britain's new found love of road cycling and the importance to this nation of Olympic success
    @JaunePeril

• One of my mates got married at 3:30pm on the day of England v Scotland, Euro 96. KO was 3pm.

Nightmare.

That is our of order and grounds for an ending of friendship!

Only been watching cycling for 10 years and TdF was always the most anticipated race for me but over the past few years the Spring Classics have become more and more meaningful.
  • roubaix and flanders every year, you have the semi classics building up to them with a few favourite normally showing their form and getting a few wins but it is still well open as so much can happen and they are both won by aggressive racing
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Gent/Wevelgem, I've cycled to the Kemmelberg to watch with friends for the past 6 years, always kicks off the season for me.

Although will probably watch from somewhere else next year as the bar at the bottom has closed and the hotel at the top that used to have beer tents was full of corporate hospitality!
  • MSR and Roubaix. MSR for just the finale obvs. Roubaix for the whole thing.

RVV has lost its allure for me with the route changes.

Ardennes just always disappoint.

Lombardy? Schmombardy.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    The season starts in March and ends late April. ;)
  • The season starts in March and ends late April. ;)

Are you teling me that Lars Bak's Giro 2012 stage in mid May basically doesn't count, as it was in the off season?

:shock:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • The season starts in March and ends late April. ;)

Are you teling me that Lars Bak's Giro 2012 stage in mid May basically doesn't count, as it was in the off season?

:shock:

No, silly. That particular year, the season* STARTED March 2012 and ENDED late April 2013

*The Season According to Thom Thom
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    P-R for me. I'm hoping for the first Welsh winner of a Monument.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Roubaix and Flanders. Managed to swing it with the missus to visit for both next year. Result. Moules, frites and beer, the breakfast of champions.