Help me find a turbo for this summer

bobo696
bobo696 Posts: 57
edited September 2015 in Training, fitness and health
Hi everyone!

Ok, so turbo's season is approaching and I am in the market for a new turbo to replace my tacx-iflow.

The ideal trainer will have :
- an electronically controlled brake : "smart" technology
- lateral movements for out of the saddle pedalling. With the i-flow I really felt uncomfortable while out of the saddle, as it was impossible to go from side to side.
- as I'm living in a flat, the least generated noise possible

So while browsing the offers, the most difficult condition would be the lateral movements. I have seen that Kurt kinetic rock n roll allows it, but even the new "smart" model is not really smart as it is not electronically controlled.

Have you any suggestions for me?

Thanks!

Comments

• You forgot to post your budget. In the absense of that I would recommend the Tacx Neo as it's pretty much silent, very 'smart' with ANT+FE-C and all that, wheel off, and by accounts has a good deal of lateral movement. At prices around £1,000 it doesn't come cheap.
  • Thanks for the quick answer!

The tacx neo seems to match the requirements, but I have not seen any review on lateral movements, is there anything on the Web yet?

It's quite expensive indeed, so I was wondering if there are other options around...
  • Found it
    It feels as close to riding on a road as other products aimed at replicating that (Wahoo KICKR, Elite Real Turbo Muin, Lemond Revolution). I’m not sure I’d declare one a winner over the other. I think one minor thing the NEO has going for it though is a slight bit more lateral movement than the others. You can actually just tilt it a tiny bit side to side (perhaps 1cm), whereas the KICKR is more locked down.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/09/trainer-everything-wanted.html

PS do you mean turbo for winter? Unless you're in the Southern Hemisphere and it's too hot to ride in summer?
  • "you can actually just tilt it a tiny bit"

This doesn't really indicate that you can really ride dancing feet "realistically", as 1cm is not a lot, is it?

Ps: yes for the cold weather here in Europe!
  • I'd stick to Tacx
    I see that their turbos are usually a lot better made.
    Very happy with mine
    10: 20.36
    25: 55.03
    50: 1.54.22
    100: 3.55.11
    24 hour: 397 miles
  • This doesn't really indicate that you can really ride dancing feet "realistically", as 1cm is not a lot, is it?

I have no idea really. Other than that you're looking at rollers?
  • This doesn't really indicate that you can really ride dancing feet "realistically", as 1cm is not a lot, is it?

I have no idea really. Other than that you're looking at rollers?

No because rollers are not electronically controlled! Although I have never tried one but it looks a bit dangerous...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Kurt Kinetic and Trainerroad. You dont need electronically controlled turbos.

• No because rollers are not electronically controlled! Although I have never tried one but it looks a bit dangerous...

I'm the most uncoordinated person in the world and I can manage rollers. Just make sure you're up against a wall where you can rest your shoulder if you lean too much. But the problem is mostly that the workouts aren't great as there's no resistance with most of them.