Religious Pointlessness

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965

A bunch of Christian door-knockers once tried to argue the non-existence of evolution with me, using the human appendix as proof of this; ie "we still have an appendix, evolution doesn't exist because it hasn't gone away". :roll:

1. Prove it hasn't diminished, we've only been taking them out for less than 100 years. It could have been twice the size 1000 years ago, and appendicitis more prevalent.
    2. As we do take them out, people rarely die of it (where there are medical facilities) so it isn't subject to the evolutionary mechanism.

The creationists often like to show pictures of plant/animal fossils to show that they are the same now as they were then, hence = no evolution.
    Really, they're the same?
    Okay then...
    what colour was it when it lived all those years ago?
    Was it (non)toxic then too, and to what?
    Is that a fully grown specimen?
    Was it nocturnal then?
    How long did it live?
    How did it find a mate?
    What were it's growth/breeding cycles, and did it time those to other factors around it?

The older I get, the better I was.

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    There are a lot of people who have a change of heart on their deathbeds but I suppose that when we die we will find out for sure.

Just to be pedantic, if there is no God we will never find out, because when we die we will be .. erm, dead won't we?.

I guess that depends on whether you come back a few days later.

In which case you'll be David Icke.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    033-doonesbury-creationism.jpg
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    When it comes to chopping bits off babies for no medical reason - it needs to stop. Circumcision of children should be against the law.

Indeed. It can lead to painful complications and even death.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    033-doonesbury-creationism.jpg
    I feel sorry for the penguins that had to make the journey.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Did noah take two of "everything"?

What about the fish? Or were they just expected to fend for themselves?

And that ark must have been massive to get two of "everything" on board.

And what about indedgenous species? The lemurs of Madagaskar as one example? Did he sail his giagantic ark over there and pick a few up? I'd have thought they would have all drowned by the time he got there.

And how would he know where "there" is/was?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Did noah take two of "everything"?

What about the fish? Or were they just expected to fend for themselves?

And that ark must have been massive to get two of "everything" on board.

And what about indedgenous species? The lemurs of Madagaskar as one example? Did he sail his giagantic ark over there and pick a few up? I'd have thought they would have all drowned by the time he got there.

And how would he know where "there" is/was?

More curiously, how did the animals get from where the Ark landed/docked/crashed to all the countries in the world? Australia would have been quite difficult for the land animals.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • I put it to you (all) that relegion is an elaborate ruse by someone wanting to become very rich.

I also suspect the ruse itself contains midgets, several pullies, a massive mirror and a smoke machine.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    It's interesting that people are willing to state that they know - apparently categorically - that all faiths and religions are wrong and pointless.

I suspect that if I were to come on here and state that I know - perhaps also categorically - that one faith or religion is true, then it would be demanded that I prove my statement.

So, at the risk of being contentious, can I ask someone to prove that religions and faiths are all wrong and pointless please.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260

So, at the risk of being contentious, can I ask someone to prove that religions and faiths are all wrong and pointless please.

Without wanting to get all serious in Bottom Bracket I have to say that for me I view religion as something that you can pick bits of, it's not a one size fits all type thing and there are parts of Christianity that I don't go along with but that's not to say there aren't parts of it that I believe are right.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • So, at the risk of being contentious, can I ask someone to prove that religions and faiths are all wrong and pointless please.

I didn't say "wrong and pointless" as I do genuinely believe that some people need something to believe in. ( :?: )

What I don't believe is that there is some allmighty being/spirit/whatever that created earth of a few days (it took me two days just to build some steps) when there is so much overwhelming evidence that we evolved from single cell organisms.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • arran77

I didn't say "wrong and pointless" as I do genuinely believe that some people need something to believe in. ( :?: )

What I don't believe is that there is some allmighty being/spirit/whatever that created earth of a few days (it took me two days just to build some steps) when there is so much overwhelming evidence that we evolved from single cell organisms.

You're clearly no God then :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • It was up to a fourth floor appartment...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,600
    It's interesting that people are willing to state that they know - apparently categorically - that all faiths and religions are wrong and pointless.

I suspect that if I were to come on here and state that I know - perhaps also categorically - that one faith or religion is true, then it would be demanded that I prove my statement.

Logically you never absolutely disprove the existence of something, no matter how unlikely or implausible. Have a google of 'Russell's teapot' (it's not a trap)

But we don't have to prove anything. Its the Bible bashers who are trying to claim there's some beardy bloke on the sky that runs everything so the onus is on them to prove whatever it is they believe in exists. So over to you :wink:

Where's manc33 when you need him...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965

But we don't have to prove anything. Its the Bible bashers who are trying to claim there's some beardy bloke on the sky that runs everything so the onus is on them to prove whatever it is they believe in exists. So over to you :wink:

wiggins_bradley_large_670.jpg

Cor!

(okay, he doesn't ride for them now but don't let that spoil it.)

The older I get, the better I was.

• singleton
    Logically you never absolutely disprove the existence of something, no matter how unlikely or implausible. Have a google of 'Russell's teapot' (it's not a trap)

Thanks Stevo66

It's not possible to scientifically prove God's existence. If it were possible, then everyone would believe and there would be no need for believing what God says, AKA faith.
  • chris_bass

you can prove something exists, you cannot prove something does not.

The problem is Religion was so widely accepted for so long that the it became the normal position and the atheist idea became the counter argument and so people seem to think that that is the one that needs proving. But it is all the wrong way around.

It would be like someone asking someone to prove they weren't having an affair with their wife when they had no evidence to suggest they were.
  • chris_bass

Thanks Stevo66

It's not possible to scientifically prove God's existence. If it were possible, then everyone would believe and there would be no need for believing what God says, AKA faith.

it is perfectly possible, you know all the biblical stuff that happened thousands of years ago, before cameras and when people were not as well educated? why doesn't any of that happen now? one miracle, one man coming back from the dead in this day and age would prove it.

Why would you need faith if you had proof? you only need faith because of the lack of proof.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Religions make remarkable claims, and remarkable claims demand remarkable evidence. The evidence for such claims is either bad or non-existent and scientific argument provides much better explanations than any religious voodoo.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • singleton
    Why would you need faith if you had proof? you only need faith because of the lack of proof.

That is what I thought I said. It's not possible to scientifically prove that God exists if someone doesn't want to believe, therefore faith is necessary.

Miracles happen now although I agree that they don't happen as often as when Jesus was on the earth.

For example, people are still cured of diseases and medical science can't explain their recovery - but even when it happens, someone has to decide whether they will attribute the cure to God or to something else.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,600
    A bit of youtube footage of the big man himself would settle it for most people. What better way for him to show everyone that he exists? Unfiortunately I dont think we will get it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • singleton
    I think I agree with you.

If God did come down and live on earth and prove his existence to everyone, then he'd have to do it in every country, every few years.

He did it once and people still don't believe it - even though the event was so significant that we base our entire calendar around it.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    I think I agree with you.

If God did come down and live on earth and prove his existence to everyone, then he'd have to do it in every country, every few years.

He did it once and people still don't believe it - even though the event was so significant that we base our entire calendar around it.

That's because he came down on a Bank Holiday at Christmas. Everywhere was shut.
  • Well there is a massive circumcision campaign in sub-Sahara Africa at the moment by the WHO and governments to reduce the spread of HIV.

http://www.who.int/hiv/topics/malecircumcision/en/
  • chris_bass

That is what I thought I said. It's not possible to scientifically prove that God exists if someone doesn't want to believe, therefore faith is necessary.

Miracles happen now although I agree that they don't happen as often as when Jesus was on the earth.

For example, people are still cured of diseases and medical science can't explain their recovery - but even when it happens, someone has to decide whether they will attribute the cure to God or to something else.

It is possible, if seas were parted, the entire world flooded, talking bushes etc etc happened these days it could be recorded.

Do you also attribute their illness to God?
  • ballysmate
    Religious types are actually putting their faith in the men who wrote the Holy books, be it Bible, Koran or whatever. They take their scribblings as being... er... well...gospel.
    If I wrote a book claiming to have seen a man walk on water and seing the dead rise, I would rightly be branded a fruitcake. Why are these stories deemed more plausible with the passage of time?
  • arran77
    Religious types are actually putting their faith in the men who wrote the Holy books, be it Bible, Koran or whatever. They take their scribblings as being... er... well...gospel.
    If I wrote a book claiming to have seen a man walk on water and seing the dead rise, I would rightly be branded a fruitcake. Why are these stories deemed more plausible with the passage of time?

You don't need to write such a book Bally, we all know you're a fruitcake anyway :wink:

seanoconn
  • ballysmate

You don't need to write such a book Bally, we all know you're a fruitcake anyway :wink:

Better a fruitcake than a fruit. :P