Ride London 2016

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Fenix wrote:
    Not really getting the obsession with times on this. If you want to race - do a race.

Sitting on wheels for 100 miles to get a fast time is only kidding yourself.

OR you can do both, choices eh! marvelous aren't they..
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    J_MCD wrote:
    I suspect that the allocation of charity places plays some part in the misplacing of people in the start pens.

I did the ride last year in 5:15. I got a charity place this year and found myself in Blue C. I think it was probably because my charity had a few places in that group and I was one of the faster people that applied to do it with them. Therefore I ended up in the wrong group for my ability. I'd have much rather gone around an hour later with people who were looking to average 20mpg rather than 28!

The thing is, the groups are never really going to be properly balanced.
    I understand that it is their intention to put the faster riders in the earliest start times, but I would imagine they are largely filtering this by the estimated completion time you put on your application form, maybe with some other factors thrown in such as whether you are a BC or club member and have ridden in sportives before.

Many people are going to put unrealistic times, or will put a certain time on the hope of getting in a certain starting wave. So for such a big event, it's probably near impossible to make this anywhere near balanced.

Interesting that this morning it's been announced that the Classic race has been moved up to UCI World Tour status, I wonder if that will have any effect on how the event is run, as presumably they will want to avoid a repeat of this year with having to stop the race.
  • zebulebu wrote:
    I'll throw in my two-pence worth.

I started in Yellow, Wave B at 6.42am. Second time I've done the event, the last time was in the biblical weather of 2014, so any weather would have been better than that year.

My ride went well, but like a lot of others on here, the only two times i had aggro was with so called 'i-think-im-a-pro-cuz-im-in-a-club-ars*holes' going too fast or thinking they could barge anyone else out of the way with speed or shouting.

For me, i did it with a ride time of 5hrs 46mins, with an official time of 6hrs 12mins. My 'proper' time should really have been about 5hrs bang on, but at the last possible minute, my nephew got a charity place and wanted to ride along with me. Bearing in mind I've done a full year of training/Zwifting/local rides for this and he had done 'one 30 minute Wattbike session at the gym in March' I could have been really p*ssed off but I wasn't, its an event, a sportive-not a race. I know what I'm capable of but i was happy to help him round. For me i have other sportives lined up where i can "smash it" if i want to for my own timing pleasure.

We stopped 3 times, mainly for water for my nephew, which was the difference between the ride time and official time and also by the last 30-40 miles he was suffering with cramp etc and i really did have to nurse him through the last third of it, often slowing right down to let him catch up. But here's the rub with the so called 'pro rider wannabes"...

At one point, whilst going up Leith Hill, i naturally moved to the left. Im a big lad, 6ft 2 and weigh about 19 stone, so i know my strengths and weaknesses and naturally, hill-climbing isn't one of them. Don't get me wrong, I've never walked up any hill, I'm good at pacing myself for the effort required and often find I'm going past people, but I'm no Chris Froome either, dancing on the pedals like a lightweight dandy. So on Leith i naturally moved left to let the faster hill climbers go right, and ground my way up, my nephew by my side (who's 4 stone lighter!). Then what do i hear? 'mind out!! on your left'..wtf??!!! what do you mean 'on my left??..im on the bloody left (right next to the grass) when this nobhead in full team kit comes dancing on the pedals up the inside of me with plenty of space on the right, simply because he was racing his other nobhead team mate who had gone the other side of my nephew. Forced me right, into the path of my nephew who hit the brakes nearly offing the bloke behind him. All because this 'Contador Wanabee' wanted to knock 20 seconds off his hill time. Tjt.

Then, further along when my nephew was suffering, i was pulling ahead without knowing it and naturally looking back, so again, i would pull off to the left near the kerb along the flat sections, slow down, look back, when at one point this f*cktard and his 2 mates come whizzing past, no warning and bomb past with about an inch to spare to my right. I hear the guy nearest me say to his mate as he went past 'bloody amateurs weaving all over the road..'. i was fuming. Amateur? Ive been riding since i was 5 sunshine, Ive done numerous sportives across the country and i know the road etiquette of signalling despite never been racing. But this c*cknobber thought he was the dogs bollox because he thought he was more experienced, simply because i was looking back for my nephew. The irony of this is that I'm built like a rugby player, I'm not fat f*ck, I've worked as a doorman and in security with ex-military personnel and if i had caught him I would have left him with his rear derailleur shoved up his arris, little prick.

Apart from those two f*ckwits, the event was great, well organised and generally the riding was good from everyone. You're always going to get the odd n0bjockey like those two, but thats life. But in my experience of the ride it was the 'racers' who were causing a lot of the fear and unease in the rest of the surrounding 'peloton' so to speak.
    You don't come across particularly well for your first post...

Funny that because I wasn't actually trying to impress you son. You need to take your ego out of the equation.

Ironically, your post has told me everything about you already. What makes you think I have to worry about impressing you?

What are you going to do about it if i don't impress you?...my god...im sitting in work 'shaking with fear'

Tw@t. You're probably the sort of rider I was mentioning on the ride.

If i told you i rode for Great Ormond Street and raised over £2k would that make you feel better? Either way, my life is not going to be any more or less better simply because you 'don't think i cam across particularly well"

The younger generation eh....all cry when we voted out of the EU then run about looking for Pokemons on their mobile phones.
    Don't worry about me mate, I was out in Iraq in 1991 whilst you were still an itch in your dads pants. I'll be fine.

:roll:
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    edited August 2016
    dude that's a lot of aggression ... all he said was you didn't come across too well in your 1st post ....... mind you this one has totally rectified that .... now everyone is reassured by your reasoned response

seriously ?? anger management
  • VmanF3
    VmanF3 Posts: 240
    Bit of a harsh response! Wow.
    Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug
  • VmanF3
    Ballot for Ride London 2017 opens August 8...someone start a new thread so we can go through the same sh1te again...

Ballot
    Charity
    Training
    Equipment
    Unsuccessful ballot
    How much for a charity place?
    Start time hell
    Where to stay
    Tyres
    Weather forecast
    Ace/ok/crap day
    Timings
    Too fast/too slow
    Idiots
    Teams
    Moaning
    Ride London 2018 Ballot

:D:D:D
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    You've been told, Zebs!

nfNeT7YvTozx0cv7ze3mplZpo1_500.gif
  • Padeye
    Padeye Posts: 38
    zebulebu wrote:

I started in Yellow, Wave B at 6.42am. Second time I've done the event, the last time was in the biblical weather of 2014, so any weather would have been better than that year.

My ride went well, but like a lot of others on here, the only two times i had aggro was with so called 'i-think-im-a-pro-cuz-im-in-a-club-ars*holes' going too fast or thinking they could barge anyone else out of the way with speed or shouting.

For me, i did it with a ride time of 5hrs 46mins, with an official time of 6hrs 12mins. My 'proper' time should really have been about 5hrs bang on, but at the last possible minute, my nephew got a charity place and wanted to ride along with me. Bearing in mind I've done a full year of training/Zwifting/local rides for this and he had done 'one 30 minute Wattbike session at the gym in March' I could have been really p*ssed off but I wasn't, its an event, a sportive-not a race. I know what I'm capable of but i was happy to help him round. For me i have other sportives lined up where i can "smash it" if i want to for my own timing pleasure.

We stopped 3 times, mainly for water for my nephew, which was the difference between the ride time and official time and also by the last 30-40 miles he was suffering with cramp etc and i really did have to nurse him through the last third of it, often slowing right down to let him catch up. But here's the rub with the so called 'pro rider wannabes"...

At one point, whilst going up Leith Hill, i naturally moved to the left. Im a big lad, 6ft 2 and weigh about 19 stone, so i know my strengths and weaknesses and naturally, hill-climbing isn't one of them. Don't get me wrong, I've never walked up any hill, I'm good at pacing myself for the effort required and often find I'm going past people, but I'm no Chris Froome either, dancing on the pedals like a lightweight dandy. So on Leith i naturally moved left to let the faster hill climbers go right, and ground my way up, my nephew by my side (who's 4 stone lighter!). Then what do i hear? 'mind out!! on your left'..wtf??!!! what do you mean 'on my left??..im on the bloody left (right next to the grass) when this nobhead in full team kit comes dancing on the pedals up the inside of me with plenty of space on the right, simply because he was racing his other nobhead team mate who had gone the other side of my nephew. Forced me right, into the path of my nephew who hit the brakes nearly offing the bloke behind him. All because this 'Contador Wanabee' wanted to knock 20 seconds off his hill time. Tjt.

Then, further along when my nephew was suffering, i was pulling ahead without knowing it and naturally looking back, so again, i would pull off to the left near the kerb along the flat sections, slow down, look back, when at one point this f*cktard and his 2 mates come whizzing past, no warning and bomb past with about an inch to spare to my right. I hear the guy nearest me say to his mate as he went past 'bloody amateurs weaving all over the road..'. i was fuming. Amateur? Ive been riding since i was 5 sunshine, Ive done numerous sportives across the country and i know the road etiquette of signalling despite never been racing. But this c*cknobber thought he was the dogs bollox because he thought he was more experienced, simply because i was looking back for my nephew. The irony of this is that I'm built like a rugby player, I'm not fat f*ck, I've worked as a doorman and in security with ex-military personnel and if i had caught him I would have left him with his rear derailleur shoved up his arris, little prick.

Apart from those two f*ckwits, the event was great, well organised and generally the riding was good from everyone. You're always going to get the odd n0bjockey like those two, but thats life. But in my experience of the ride it was the 'racers' who were causing a lot of the fear and unease in the rest of the surrounding 'peloton' so to speak.

Funny that because I wasn't actually trying to impress you son. You need to take your ego out of the equation.

Ironically, your post has told me everything about you already. What makes you think I have to worry about impressing you?

What are you going to do about it if i don't impress you?...my god...im sitting in work 'shaking with fear'

If i told you i rode for Great Ormond Street and raised over £2k would that make you feel better? Either way, my life is not going to be any more or less better simply because you 'don't think i cam across particularly well"

The younger generation eh....all cry when we voted out of the EU then run about looking for Pokemons on their mobile phones.
    Don't worry about me mate, I was out in Iraq in 1991 whilst you were still an itch in your dads pants. I'll be fine.

He was right, you didn't come across well. Writing on a cycling forum that people who ride in club gear are ars*holes, and anyone who can climb is a lightweight dandy isn't going to come across well is it? Never mind the general aggression, talking about shoving derailleurs up peoples ars*s, sounds like you're the pr!ck here!

I'd love to know how you came to the conclusion that zubulebu voted remain & plays pokemon based on his response!

That said, you're posts so far have been among the most entertaining i've ever read here so please, do continue.
  • zebulebu wrote:

When I read you posts I do it in the style of John Goodman in the Big Lebowski. Donny, you're out of your element!
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    I'm lost as to what the connection is between the EU vote and Pokemon Go?
  • VmanF3
    Rich_E wrote:

We need like buttons on this forum!
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    zebulebu wrote:

This bloke is so full of it it's untrue. In his first post he tries to impress by saying he's worked as a doorman ! WTF and in security with ex military yet he waits til his second post to pretend he was in Iraq. He also doesn't mention riding for charity in his first post yet says he raised £2k for Great Ormond street in his second. Total delusional tool.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    This thread is great, dull one minute reading people's individual recounts of their day as if it is interesting to complete strangers, then back to entertaining the next.

Top marks for Ugo for making some valid points.

Respect for anyone who genuinely did it with their primary reason being to raise money for charity, and partial respect for those who did it purely to see if they could complete it.

As for everyone else, I suppose there must be some appeal to sharing the road with thousands of others because the closed roads that it takes place on are incredibly more busy than the roads you'd be on if you left your front door on any given day and went for a nice 100 mile ride on well chosen roads on your own or with a buddy.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    zebulebu wrote:

Quel throbbeur
  • cruff
    cruff Posts: 1,518
    zebulebu wrote:

Ummm... Wot?

I would respond to your points one by one, but you might spontaneously combust!
    Fat chopper. Some racing. Some testing. Some crashing.
    Specialising in Git Daaahns and Cafs. Norvern Munkey/Transplanted Laaandoner.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    VmanF3 wrote:
    Rich_E wrote:

We need like buttons on this forum!

And a big steaming brown BS button.
  • iPete
    mfin wrote:
    This thread is great, dull one minute reading people's individual recounts of their day as if it is interesting to complete strangers, then back to entertaining the next.

Top marks for Ugo for making some valid points.

Respect for anyone who genuinely did it with their primary reason being to raise money for charity, and partial respect for those who did it purely to see if they could complete it.

As for everyone else, I suppose there must be some appeal to sharing the road with thousands of others because the closed roads that it takes place on are incredibly more busy than the roads you'd be on if you left your front door on any given day and went for a nice 100 mile ride on well chosen roads on your own or with a buddy.

Then we also have the people chiming in who don't get the appeal who've never ridden it as if it's interesting to those giving their individual recounts of the ..oh. :lol:
    VmanF3 wrote:
    Ballot for Ride London 2017 opens August 8...someone start a new thread so we can go through the same sh1te again...

Ballot
    Charity
    Training
    Equipment
    Unsuccessful ballot
    How much for a charity place?
    Start time hell
    Where to stay
    Tyres
    Weather forecast
    Ace/ok/crap day
    Timings
    Too fast/too slow
    Idiots
    Teams
    Moaning
    Ride London 2018 Ballot

:D:D:D

Nailed it, I was thinking we could come up with some sort of bingo/drinking game for the post ride discussion. :D

Complaints about..
    Friends riding together
    Fast people
    People communicating right/left
    Slow people
    Triathletes (fair game!)
    People who don't communicate right/left
    Club riders
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    They should run it as an untimed Randonnee. The knobbers won't bother, if they make the stamp / checkpoints interesting, it would be more likely to stop the "how much!" Brigade whinging. You'd get a Stamped Brevet card with your medal. It's a winner I reckon. As long as it wasn't run as an Audax, with timed control points ( other than the broom wagon cut offs) that would attract a whole different type of baw bag. I know there will still be Stravassholes, but that can't be helped.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    iPete wrote:
    Then we also have the people chiming in who don't get the appeal who've never ridden it as if it's interesting to those giving their individual recounts of the ..oh. :lol:

A true voice of the sheeple.
    iPete wrote:
    Nailed it, I was thinking we could come up with some sort of bingo/drinking game for the post ride discussion. :D

Complaints about..
    Friends riding together
    Fast people
    People communicating right/left
    Slow people
    Triathletes (fair game!)
    People who don't communicate right/left
    Club riders

Brilliant :):) and so observant! People are mentioning these things aren't they! Ah, fantastic :)
  • iPete
    It was a great race, I won a medal and everything, what more can I say? :lol:

baa.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,444
    What I don't understand is... anyone who enjoys something different from me. What is wrong with those idiots?
  • zebulebu wrote:

When I read you posts I do it in the style of John Goodman in the Big Lebowski. Donny, you're out of your element!

Jack Nicholson in a Few Good Men
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,059
    looks like i upgraded just in time
    IMG_3607.JPG

Carry on ...
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It's either PTSD or he has something in his eye.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,444
    zebulebu wrote:

How do you react to people whose opinion you *are* interested in?
  • zebulebu wrote:

Jack Nicholson in a Few Good Men

now detecting a bit of cockerknee so can picture Bob Hoskins in the Long Good Friday
  • My bike was stolen at the start of the course - when i popped into the loo, like dozens of other people did. With a security guard no more than 10 feet away, who said he saw nothing.

I've posted details of the bike in the stolen section - includes an email to use if you see the bike for sale.

There were no warnings the course was actually open to the public - people were walking about next to the loos; nor did they provide anything to lock the bikes to - and this was after the baggage lorries, so we would have dropped off D locks anyway. RideLondon created the circumstances that enabled theft and lulled me and everyone else into taking the risk.
    By 8am 2 course stewards advised that 4 bikes had been taken already, and yesterday RideLondon suggested that none had gone??!! All I know is that mine is gone and I want it back!!
  • cruff
    cruff Posts: 1,518
    My bike was stolen at the start of the course - when i popped into the loo, like dozens of other people did. With a security guard no more than 10 feet away, who said he saw nothing.

I've posted details of the bike in the stolen section - includes an email to use if you see the bike for sale.

There were no warnings the course was actually open to the public - people were walking about next to the loos; nor did they provide anything to lock the bikes to - and this was after the baggage lorries, so we would have dropped off D locks anyway. RideLondon created the circumstances that enabled theft and lulled me and everyone else into taking the risk.
    By 8am 2 course stewards advised that 4 bikes had been taken already, and yesterday RideLondon suggested that none had gone??!! All I know is that mine is gone and I want it back!!
    That sucks, sorry to hear that. However, did you not think to ask someone to keep an eye on it for you? Even if you were on your own at the event, there were hundreds of other cyclists around - any one of who wouldn't have minded looking after it for you (in fact, I did this did for someone who wanted to pop out for a wee in the start pen)

Hope you get it back
    Fat chopper. Some racing. Some testing. Some crashing.
    Specialising in Git Daaahns and Cafs. Norvern Munkey/Transplanted Laaandoner.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Rich_E wrote:

It was vote Remain and Pokemon GO.

Two things that a lot of predominantly young people do (the ones that get out of bed :lol: )

I know a guy my age that tracks down portals though (whatever they are).
  • stu227
    stu227 Posts: 31
    I had a great day out - chatted with some really great and friendly people along the way, raised some money for my charity, got round in sub-6 hours moving time, sadly had to stop for an hour in the Pyrford incident, but everyone seemed to take that very much in their stride.

The weather was great, the atmosphere in the towns we went through was generally brilliant, Weybridge in particular was great, and the party / festival feel was lovely.

Seemed to be slightly fewer high-speed nutters screaming 'on yer right' at the unwary this year, which made for a less intimidating ride for all and generally it was extremely well organised. The occasional club train running past on the right was quite entertaining and generally didn't cause a problem to the less excitable like me! The great thing about RL100 is that it's open to everyone - from the men in drag on bromptons, to the boris bikers, to the mamil who powered past me on Newlands, then again on Leith, then again on Box, and passed me again on the way into London - made me smile!

Definitely going to try and get in again next year, be it for charity or the ballot. Sincere thanks to anyone involved in the organisation, support and running what must be a logistical nightmare. Really sorry to hear of the chap with the heart attack and the stolen bikes - the kids of Stratford must have had a busy morning!