Winter Jacket purchase......?

2»

Comments

• holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Has anyone tried the Lusso Aqua Repel jacket? I find their stuff well made and comfy and would consider that product as an alternative to the Endura Jetstream jersey I use on dry winter days below 5 degrees.
  • cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    Have you tried looking at the Proviz range of Jackets ? Especially if you want to be seen.

http://tidd.ly/a2a6f241
  • I bought the Parentini Mossa last year, brilliant kit for fast winter miles.
    I also bought[YES was very impressed by the quality] thier Winter Jacket P2100 which is now called P5000
    its truly 100% waterproof, i ridden in awful foul weather, its also very breathable, i use only baselayer under neat.
  • zak3737
    zak3737 Posts: 370
    A parcel arrived today, a Sportful R&D jacket bought for a friend via Ebay, and its quite impressive, especially at £92. XL, so although I can get it on, its very snug !
    Impressions good, feels like it would be very warm and comfy, altho only lack of vents might be an issue ?
    Also, the outer material feels like it could be caught very easily and ripped, but who knows.
    Hmmmmmmm - still pondering !
    & the other thread on the Alpha jacket aint helping me !
  • I have an Endura FS260 jacket

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/endura/fs260-pro-roubaix-jacket-ec036914#features

which is pretty good for a chilly morning, I have to admit to wanting a little more earlier this week, then again my Garmin recorded an everage temp of +3 degrees so maybe I should have dressed better.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I have an Endura FS260 jacket

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/endura/fs260-pro-roubaix-jacket-ec036914#features

which is pretty good for a chilly morning, I have to admit to wanting a little more earlier this week, then again my Garmin recorded an everage temp of +3 degrees so maybe I should have dressed better.

I've got one of these and it's more like a jersey than a jacket. In my opinion, it's definitely not warm enough for proper winter temperatures. Also, the windproof material on the front of the sleeves hardly breathes at all, leading to clammy feeling arms. An extra £25 will get you a Castelli Mortirolo, which is much warmer, better made and breathes better.

On the upside, the yellow FS260 makes you look like Bruce Lee in Game of Death.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    A parcel arrived today, a Sportful R&D jacket bought for a friend via Ebay, and its quite impressive, especially at £92. XL, so although I can get it on, its very snug !
    Impressions good, feels like it would be very warm and comfy, altho only lack of vents might be an issue ?
    Also, the outer material feels like it could be caught very easily and ripped, but who knows.

This is what you need then, and in your size too (XXL): http://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-clothing/sportful-men-s-r-d-long-sleeved-wind-jersey-marine-blue/black/10959615.html

I love mine and haven't seen one this cheap for a while. Extra 10% off as well as last one I think... 8)
    Wore mine at the Longleat Lionheart Sportive this year, 5 degrees and windy at the start, rising to 16 degrees at the end. Handled the temperature range superbly, didn't even have to unzip. The breathable insulation is really something else...the material is also harder wearing than you think. I doubt you'd be disappointed and I've read the jersey is more versatile than the the jacket, and also has a better sleeve/cuff design.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • I have an Endura FS260 jacket

I've got one of these and it's more like a jersey than a jacket. In my opinion, it's definitely not warm enough for proper winter temperatures. Also, the windproof material on the front of the sleeves hardly breathes at all, leading to clammy feeling arms. An extra £25 will get you a Castelli Mortirolo, which is much warmer, better made and breathes better.

On the upside, the yellow FS260 makes you look like Bruce Lee in Game of Death.

Agreed hence the bit in red above... I did but it as an autum/spring jacket as a lot of my mid week rides tend to be around the 6am mark.

I have a Gore windstopper for full winter duties which has transfered over from the MTB section of my wardrobe. Now that is a good jacket.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • zak3737

This is what you need then, and in your size too (XXL): http://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-clothing/sportful-men-s-r-d-long-sleeved-wind-jersey-marine-blue/black/10959615.html

I love mine and haven't seen one this cheap for a while. Extra 10% off as well as last one I think... 8)
    Wore mine at the Longleat Lionheart Sportive this year, 5 degrees and windy at the start, rising to 16 degrees at the end. Handled the temperature range superbly, didn't even have to unzip. The breathable insulation is really something else...the material is also harder wearing than you think. I doubt you'd be disappointed and I've read the jersey is more versatile than the the jacket, and also has a better sleeve/cuff design.

Hey thx for the link, and yes, after seeing the jacket, I think the Jersey could be the way to go, Order placed :-)
    There is a small thought in me that a 'Jersey' cant be warm or weather proof enough for cold winter days, with a base layer etc, but reviews etc etc contradict, so trust it I must !

Have also sent for a Galibier Colombiere jacket too, to compare, with a view to sending one back......:-)
    Great reviews of that too, and looks very well made.
  • zak3737
    Thx to Luv2Ride for the deal link posted, a Sportful R&D Wind Jersey arrived today, very promptly from ProBikeKit, quite a deal at £78, instead of the RRP of £130/140.
    XXL was last in stock, and figured it would be perfect (seeing as buddies XL jacket was very snug on me), and so it proves, as with a baselayer underneath, it sits tight and snug, and very comfy.
    Wife & he think its perhaps a bit toooo snug for me, but thats the way this stuff is meant to perform I guess, close fitting to minimise draughts, and retain heat. And clearly, when leant over in riding position, feels perfect to me, no cycling gear is meant to fit well stood up eh ??!
    Front of jacket and arm/shoulders are made up of the quilted/windproof Polartec, while the back is super breathable and stretchy, as are backs of arms.
    Feels really really good on, very impressed.

That said, I'm gonna wait for the http://galibier.cc/product/colombiere-defense-training-jacket/ Jacket I ordered too, to see which I think I'll prefer on a cold winter ride.
  • luv2ride
    Glad you like the R&D Jersey. At the price you got the Sportful for (and the price advertised for the Galibier) I'd honestly think about keeping both! You do need to try the R&d Jersey on a ride though - you may think it's not warm enough at first but after 5-10 minutes you warm up and the insulation seems to regulate temperature brilliantly. As for the fit, it's definitely snug, if not tight, but as you've said, feels great on the bike. The other great feature is the light weight, and the extra side pockets for gels/energy bars. Still my favourite bit of autumn/winter gear.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • zak3737
    Glad you like the R&D Jersey. At the price you got the Sportful for (and the price advertised for the Galibier) I'd honestly think about keeping both! As for the fit, it's definitely snug, if not tight,

You're a bad man !!

And yes, perhaps the 'fit' of this XXL might encourage a little restraint on my eating for the next few months ;-)
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    You WILL like the Galibier!
    Its a warm jacket, so room for both in your wardrobe!
  • zak3737
    Galibier jacket arrived now too, wow, quality bit of kit !
    Really well made, good features, and nice Roubaix breathable panel across back of jacket.
    Sleeves long, and nicely elasticated at cuffs to keep wind out, and lovely soft high neck with good full length zip closure, and long zip tab for easy grab with winter gloves.

Feels very durable material, and potentially good water resistance too, more so than the Sportful R&D jacket/jersey, but 2 different jacket types.

This could be the one for me.....R&D may head back, can't justify both really ! ;-)
  • I have the same problem and I simply can not decide which jacket should I buy. I have found something like this: http://hwesta.eu/clothes--jackets/
    What you think about it? Will it be ok for a bike “walk”?I have two other jackets but they are not reliable unfortunatelly.
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    I've just bought a dhb Aeron Full Protection Softshell jacket. It's a snug (read as 'tight'), cosy fit with quite a long tail. It'll be my only Winter 'proper' cycling jacket so I spent more than I normally would have on an item if cycling clothing. It has a few reflective bits on the back, is waterproof and windproof and doesn't require several layers to stay warm.

The arms are long with good cuffs and the material is quite stretchy.

All in all, I'm happy with it.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I have the same problem and I simply can not decide which jacket should I buy. I have found something like this: http://hwesta.eu/clothes--jackets/
    What you think about it? Will it be ok for a bike “walk”?I have two other jackets but they are not reliable unfortunatelly.

No idea what jacket you're looking at there - but just go to the local Aldi and see what cycling jackets they have left. Bargain and ample for most peoples requirements.
  • I've just bought a dhb Aeron Full Protection Softshell jacket. It's a snug (read as 'tight'), cosy fit with quite a long tail. It'll be my only Winter 'proper' cycling jacket so I spent more than I normally would have on an item if cycling clothing. It has a few reflective bits on the back, is waterproof and windproof and doesn't require several layers to stay warm.

The arms are long with good cuffs and the material is quite stretchy.

All in all, I'm happy with it.

This is the right answer. If you normally spend less on a cycling jacket, invest in this. If you normally spend more, save your money and buy this.
    https://roubaixcycling.wordpress.com/
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • zak3737
    While I was 'initially' very impressed with my Galibier jacket, and it felt & fitted great, I wore it one day a month ago, perhaps 8-10* out, and couldnt believe how damp my base layer was when I took it off post ride, - soaking actually. Big Question on its breathability. To be fair to Galibier, they refunded me in full, even after wearing once, so fair play.
    Perhaps it was meant for colder days, but I really was damp.

I've currently got the Sportful Flash Softshell, and have only worn twice so far, with seemingly much more breathability to it. Uber comfy too. Quality stuff is Sportful. Sister Co to Castelli I believe. Good value for £70.

That said, after all the great reviews and things read about the DHB Aeron - its calling me too !
    The Alpha is 'reduced' currently to £191, which is over £100 more than the Aeron, which for 'really small gains', seems a bonkers deal for the Aeron.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I am not familiar with the Galibier jacket, but I suspect you were wearing it at too high temps. at 8-10degC in my opinion you need something with a windproof front and an open breathable back and also on the rear of the sleeves. Otherwise, you'll just get too wet with sweat.

In these conditions I wear an Alpha Jersey, or even an Assos Intermediate Evo jersey (with LS baselayer)
  • zak3737
    I am not familiar with the Galibier jacket, but I suspect you were wearing it at too high temps. at 8-10degC in my opinion you need something with a windproof front and an open breathable back and also on the rear of the sleeves. Otherwise, you'll just get too wet with sweat.

In these conditions I wear an Alpha Jersey, or even an Assos Intermediate Evo jersey (with LS baselayer)

The Galibier Colombiere is supposedly for 0-13*, and does have a breathable Roubaix back, but didnt seem to breathe too much when I wore it :-(
    Shame really, was a nice jacket.
  • I am not familiar with the Galibier jacket, but I suspect you were wearing it at too high temps. at 8-10degC in my opinion you need something with a windproof front and an open breathable back and also on the rear of the sleeves. Otherwise, you'll just get too wet with sweat.

The Galibier Colombiere is supposedly for 0-13*, and does have a breathable Roubaix back, but didnt seem to breathe too much when I wore it :-(

Did you consider undoing the zip a bit?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • zak3737

I have yet to see a single post on here from you that is anything other than sarcastic....
  • I am not familiar with the Galibier jacket, but I suspect you were wearing it at too high temps. at 8-10degC in my opinion you need something with a windproof front and an open breathable back and also on the rear of the sleeves. Otherwise, you'll just get too wet with sweat.

I have yet to see a single post on here from you that is anything other than sarcastic....

You were wearing a jacket too warm for the conditions, even the most experienced cyclist can misjudge temperatures. It's not a fault of the jacket though.

I generally wear different clothing dependent on temperature and riding tempo.

HTH
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • luv2ride
    should have kept the Sportful R&D Wind Jersey :wink: Been wearing mine across a range of temps and the breathability still impresses
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    While I was 'initially' very impressed with my Galibier jacket, and it felt & fitted great, I wore it one day a month ago, perhaps 8-10* out, and couldnt believe how damp my base layer was when I took it off post ride, - soaking actually. Big Question on its breathability. To be fair to Galibier, they refunded me in full, even after wearing once, so fair play.
    Perhaps it was meant for colder days, but I really was damp.

I have this Jacket - is is superb, but yes it is very warm, I don't think I'd wear it above 8/9degrees and even then it only needs a thin baselayer...
  • zak3737
    It was a great jacket, great fit, and felt great. However, I did only have a merino base layer underneath, and the Zip pulled down when needed, but despite that, I was wet through when I finally took it off.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

That's a hell of a temperature range. Basically midwinter to a cool summers day. I think they're being a little generous.