Winter Jacket purchase......?

zak3737
zak3737 Posts: 370
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
So we're coming to that time of year we all eagerly await, (NOT), the dark nights, cold mornings, & chilly and potentially wet/cold sunday morning rides.

Which has started me appraising the gear I've accumulated over my short 14mths cycling, and wondering if I should invest again !

I have a good BaaBaa Merino base layer, and a couple of long sleeved Jerseys which I got from Decathlon to start me off. That said, they've been great, so no issues.
Depending on weather, I've worn one or both under either a Windstopper Jacket, which is ok, or a Hi-Viz Waterproof jacket, which doesnt exactly breath any at all !
The Windstopper doesnt exactly have the cut of the Castelli's of the world, but its the same kind of thing, was a bargain at £25. Same with Waterproof, ok, but less than perfect.

With a neck gaitor & gloves, I was never cold, but often felt a little bulked up, and/or sweaty.

Then, this summer, I invested in a Sportful Fiandre Light NoRain jacket, to carry for late summer evening cool-offs, or cooler days/showers etc, and its quality is impressive. Race fit, even for my bulk, and lovely to wear, you dont even know its on.

Which gets me thinking, a base layer only with something like the new Sportful R&D jacket, or Sportful Fiandre Neoshell, or Castelli Alpha even, would seem the ideal. A 'Go To' for the winter, for any weather.
All seem to offer fantastic form & function, cutting edge performance, and perhaps with only a base layer underneath.
Or do I just layer up for warmth, and use the Fiandre I have, to take off the wind and add some water protection ? Its not a 'winter' jacket as such, but might do ?

I mean, is it worth spending £200+ for total performance & comfort on the bike, during winter, or does everyone just 'manage' with whatever keeps them warmish, until spring arrives ?

Comments

• You might still be able to find an Assos AirJack somewhere on the Web. As an avid winter cyclist (somehow I seem to do more winter miles than summer) I still consider it the Daddy of winter jackets. I like the fact that it can be worn next to the skin or layered up, is very windproof, water repellent (and warm when wet) and incredibly robust. I've got two and they've done thousands of winter Highland rural commuting miles, have survived crashes and hundreds of washes (in, shock horror, bio washing detergent) and, despite trying various Castelli , Giordana, and Rapha jackets, I'm still so impressed with the AirJack. If you can find one, they should be cheap (try the Assos factory shop online)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • What size are you?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • zak3737
    What size are you?

Well, 'UK' cycling size........DHB/Altura stuff etc, XL or perhaps a snug L

Castelli/Sportful etc etc......that equates to XXXL !!! - made for Italian Midgets !!
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    For warmth the castelli alpha jersey is excellent - the jacket should be unbelievable.
    The Airjack and Ijhabu are both very good but I think they maybe superceded by the above.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I am afraid there is no definitive answer to your question. As you have already discovered you can not ever have enough gear/options! Especially in the UK.
    I expect someone to reply Castelli Gabba. I have one its good. You can wear it all winter and it will keep the chill out, resist mild precipitation and you will look and feel pro. Arguably its a very versatile jersey especially in short sleeves and with the nanoflex arm warmers. It is however not going to keep you dry in pouring rain and it is expensive. My enthusiasm for it has only waned due to the deterioration of the waterproofing over the last two years.

I now have a Castelli Muur as I quite like riding in the rain and needed a better shell than the Gabba. Only used it once but it was half decent at wicking and very good at keeping out rain for over two hours.

I also have a specialized hi viz orange windstopper gilet which I use in poor light conditions to augment my visibility.

If you were only having one of the three I'd go for the Gabba and arm warmers and just avoid heavy rain
  • If you're anywhere near Shepton Mallett the Rapha archive store has hardshell jackets for £120 which is an incredible jacket for that price
  • zak3737
    If you're anywhere near Shepton Mallett the Rapha archive store has hardshell jackets for £120 which is an incredible jacket for that price

Wow - just called them, great price, and other stuff too, but they'll only sell 'in store', and I'm miles away !!
    :x
  • zak3737
    Incidentally, in all honesty, if on a sunday morning, its throwing it down already, I'm likely to sack it off, and not start out in bad conditions.
    I guess a Jacket that offers 'some' water resistance while being warm, comfy and windproof is the key........
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    For warmth the castelli alpha jersey is excellent - the jacket should be unbelievable.
    The Airjack and Ijhabu are both very good but I think they maybe superceded by the above.

I agree. The Airjack has had it's day. The Castelli Alpha gear performs better IMO, although probably much less longer lasting.

I will still wear my Airjack, but it was left in the cupboard more and more last winter.
  • Incidentally, in all honesty, if on a sunday morning, its throwing it down already, I'm likely to sack it off, and not start out in bad conditions.
    I guess a Jacket that offers 'some' water resistance while being warm, comfy and windproof is the key........

Alpha Jersey, Jacket, Rapha Pro Team or Hardshell.

Depending on temp.......

Honestly, if it's tamping down and you want some protection whilst out and some warmth a wardrobe of the Alpah Jersey and Rapha Pro Team is a good choice.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Pro team jacket, best bit of winter kit in my wardrobe, layer up or down depending on the temp.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I'd certainly recommend the Sportful R&D Jersey (NOTE: jersey version, not the jacket). The jersey has incredibly breathable insulation and has a decent DWR water resistant treatment, and works over a very wide range of temperatures. Was practically all I wore last winter, and worked well into the (slightly) warmer spring. Great piece of kit. Also have a Specialized Evolution goretex active shell jacket but that only ever comes out when heavy rain, as I work up a sweat and despite the hype, goretex Active Shell still isn't quite as breathable as I'd like (although waterproof).
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I know someone who is selling a red Assos Airjack 851 in EXCELLENT condition, size XLG for a very good price...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Pro team jacket, best bit of winter kit in my wardrobe, layer up or down depending on the temp.

Yep, this. Best jacket I have.
  • zak3737
    The Pro Team jacket does sound nice, altho a couple of the comments on the Rapha page concern me slightly, - ie 'not as warm as other jackets' & 'for fast training sessions', 'good down to 6/7 degrees'.
    Not sure my pace can be called 'fast training pace' ;-)
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    The Pro Team jacket does sound nice, altho a couple of the comments on the Rapha page concern me slightly, - ie 'not as warm as other jackets' & 'for fast training sessions', 'good down to 6/7 degrees'.

I found that that's a good thing, as you'll soon find out what works for you, maybe one, two or no base layers, I've certainly worn it to below freezing with a couple of base layers.
  • zak3737
    It is a comumdrum, finding the best combination & solution, and a possibly expensive one if I buy something wrong !

I popped out for 25miles last night, in lovely but cooling conditions, and had just a Merino base layer under my Fiandre No Rain jersey, and it was perfect, just right, I felt warm without being bulky or uncomfortable, and even for my frame, quite streamlined :-)

The task to find the same for cold sunday morning continues......I can see a large Wiggle(or Rapha) order looming, before most of it goes back leaving me with the 'Chosen One'. :-)
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    I have the alpha jersey and the Rapha pro team jacket, wear with a wind proof base layer gloves and neck scarf and feel warm enough and don't over heat at all!
  • The Pro Team is very versatile. You can even wear it in spring with a very light base layer. Go heavy and it's good for winter days. It's also very water resistant.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332

It's all I use in winter, I just vary the base layer or if it's close to freezing I run a gabba gillet over the top. I tend to be normal base for spring/autumn and just the jacket switching to a winter base (either rapha winter one or under armour winter running tops) when it gets cold. That covers me down to 4 degrees, and I'm a wuss in the cold. Lower than that I put my thick gabba gillet on top, lower than that and it's freezing and I'm indoors.
  • The pro team is a fantastic jacket. Sold mine cos I lost weight but am always looking on ebay etc for a decent (cheapish) one to replace.

Only problem I have is I run hot on my commute and so I dont tend to use it above 4/5 degrees...horses for courses really.
  • I went through this last winter. My Assos 851 is not the warmest by some distance. Ended up getting a Castelli Alpha which is excellent and will keep you toasty in pretty much any conditions with the right layering.

Mind, just looked at the current price, surely even Rapha can do something good for £228!
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    The Castelli Mortirolo is an excellent winter jacket. It's very warm, but still breathes well. I've only ever had to wear it with a single lightweight base layer in freezing conditions. It's windproof and because it's softshell, it has a decent amount of water resistance which can be bolstered by appying some Nikwax proofer. When it gets too warm, you can unzip the front vents on the torso for ventilation.

It's well cut, looks great and can usually be had for under £100 if you look around for good discounts.
  • Two other, cheaper, options...

I have an Altura windproof jacket and also one from ProBikeKit, neither of which cost anywhere near the sums being talked about here. I wear them with a normal long-sleeved base layer and, depending on the temperature, anywhere between zero (10C) and three (<0C) jerseys. This is probably not an optimal combination in terms of wicking etc but it's certainly an option if you're on a budget.
  • zak3737
    Very tempted by some of the options Castelli Alpha/Mortirolo or Espresso jackets,
    or even the jerseys, but jeez they are expensive.
    So, just to see what it's like, at a much more reasonable £55, picked up one of these .....
    http://m.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/sl-elite-winter-partial-jacket-ec067353
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    I'm all for paying money where is needed, but I bought one of these last year for commuting:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191484372073?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=490567756057&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It is a superb jacket for the money.
    Also check out galibier.cc, some great items "allegedly" from the same factory as the big guys ;)
  • zak3737
    I'd seen those same jackets actually, did wonder if they were worth a punt !
  • I have the Rapha Pro Team and love it, very versatile.

I also have a Mavic Espoir and as a winter jacket, it`s brilliant, and not expensive.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • The Pro Team jacket does sound nice, altho a couple of the comments on the Rapha page concern me slightly, - ie 'not as warm as other jackets' & 'for fast training sessions', 'good down to 6/7 degrees'.

It's all I use in winter, I just vary the base layer or if it's close to freezing I run a gabba gillet over the top. I tend to be normal base for spring/autumn and just the jacket switching to a winter base (either rapha winter one or under armour winter running tops) when it gets cold. That covers me down to 4 degrees, and I'm a wuss in the cold. Lower than that I put my thick gabba gillet on top, lower than that and it's freezing and I'm indoors.

This

I layer with a craft base layer when it`s chilly, or a merino zip neck long sleeve and an Endura windstopper gillet when it`s properly brass.

I do switch to the Mavic when it`s utterly freezing as it`s a bit warmer still.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • zak3737
    Update: Well, seems that Specialized utilise the 'sized for Italian Midgets' template too, my XL Elite Partial Jacket arrived today, and with effort, could zip it up, but not then breathe ! Damn, back it goes.
    Seems Rapha Pro Team, or Castelli Alpha/Mortirolo/Espresso are tempting me most now, altho the Gaibier Colombiere @ £67 looks damned good value and performance, might be next port of trying before the Full Hog takes place.......