la Vuelta '15 #16 Luarca/Ermita de Alba. Quirós **SPOILERS**

Comments

• adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    edited September 2015
    Aru down to his last teammate. Dumoulin still there. Aru seems to be slipping closer to the back of the group every time I see him.

Edit: really looks like a good attack will drop Aru immediately
  • My man Meintjes still hanging with the leaders.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • adr82
    700m for Schleck, 3k for GC group
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    If JRod wants to put his name down as the leading non-timetrialer it is time to attack - Aru is almost at back of group

Schleck almost ground to a halt it is so steep. He only has a few hundred metres
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    That is a horrible last km.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Schleck the snr takes it, Valverde dropped
  • imatfaal
    Schleck!!!

That last 1km lasted for ever. Chapeau to Frank
  • adr82
    Chaves struggling at the back of the GC group, Nieve pushing on at the front.

Pozzovivo slipping off the back. Landa on the front again.
  • imatfaal
    Tom D could still lose multiple minutes on the last 2300metres. Jrod looking good, Quintana and Nieve both look lively. Aru just hanging on to Dumoulin's wheel.
  • gweeds
    Tom D pops. Damage control now.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • adr82
    Dumoulin finally looks like he's struggling a bit. Landa coming close to dropping Aru with his pace.
  • gweeds
    and he's back on. J-Rod has to attack. Aru is looking ropey today
  • adr82
    edited September 2015
    Tom D pops. Damage control now.
    He's made it back for now. Landa is doing a great job here. 1k to go.

Dumoulin off the back again inside 1k.
  • imatfaal
    edited September 2015
    Flame Rouge and leaders all still together.
  • gweeds
    Tom D somehow hauling his 470kg carcass up
  • adr82
    Purito time

Majka chasing with Quintana, Nieve, Aru struggling to keep up

He's got a few seconds gap with 500m to go. Dumoulin still slogging away behind.

Aru now chasing Purito
  • gweeds
    Hell of an effort by Aru there.
  • gweeds
    And ditto for 530kg Tom D.
  • Impressive from Tom there. Clever rider, knows how to pace himself.
  • adr82
    Purito holds off a strong effort from Aru, and finishes a couple of seconds ahead of him.

Majka, Quintana, Nieve, Landa, Meintjes 5-10s back.

Dumoulin only about 30s behind Purito I think.
  • imatfaal
    What a mountain!

Purito into red. Aru flying at the end. But Dumoulin speeds across the flatter last 100m and limits loses.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Have to give Aru his props for the way he fought there, absolutely amazing ride from Dumoulin yet again too. He could well have the GC sewn up after the TT.
  • adr82
    Purito in red by 1" from Aru, Dumoulin 4th on GC @ 1'51"
  • imatfaal
    GC after stage 16:

1. Joaquin Rodriguez (Katusha)
    2. Fabio Aru (Astana), +1"
    3. Rafal Majka (Tinkoff - Saxo), +1'35
    4. Tom Dumoulin (Giant - Alpecin), +1'51
    5. Mikel Nieve (Team Sky), +2'32

The general idea before these three stages was that Dumoulin could take 2 mins. Gonna be interesting
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Aru losing red means that he'll get to wear his own skin suit in the TT. That's worth more than a second.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • GC after stage 16:

1. Joaquin Rodriguez (Katusha)
    2. Fabio Aru (Astana), +1"
    3. Rafal Majka (Tinkoff - Saxo), +1'35
    4. Tom Dumoulin (Giant - Alpecin), +1'51
    5. Mikel Nieve (Team Sky), +2'32

The general idea before these three stages was that Dumoulin could take 2 mins. Gonna be interesting

We know he can get through a GT to the end and still pull off a great TT. Whether riding at the front the entire race beforehand has any impact on just how much time he can take on the others, we'll find out on Wed.

Incredible so far.
  • Aru losing red means that he'll get to wear his own skin suit in the TT. That's worth more than a second.

I've got an Aru skin suit

DonkeyCostumeMascot.jpg
  • gweeds
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    ...holy sugar, Franck Schleck?!?!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    edited September 2015
    A pity Chaves finally cracked after staying with the big guys throughout. Together with Dumoulin,and to some degree Meintjes, the career breakthrough rider of this Vuelta. All three welcome additions to the GC scene as far as I'm concernec. 2 stage wins, and still well placed for top 10 in GC.

All perfectly aligned for a couple of wild days after the TT, with top 4 riders in roughly descending order of TT abilities (apart from Aru/J-Rod)

From my PTP-point of view also a pity Valverde lost more time...