KingC Posts: 11
edited September 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
FU

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is a BB30 BB shell.

it all depends on what you want to do?
    you cat just about fit anything with the right bits.

have a read of the BB standards on Parktools and check the measurements of the frame.

and decide where you want to go with it on the BB front.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Your picture hasn't worked.

What year is the bike? The current model uses a PF30 BB. £27 for a new FSA model from CRC.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • KingC
    edited September 2015
    FU

• KingC
    The unhelpful [*!#$] at Halfords (online chat) told me it was a F30 BB and wouldn't give me the brand name and told me I would need to go in store to request them to order it at a cost of £47.95 and would take 5 working days.

I'm guessing from the link you've provided me the full name is 'PF30 BB' and and is £20 cheaper and can be ordered with next day delivery so thank you.

Just goes to show what a farce and rip off Halfords is ..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shock horror bricks and mortar store costs more than online, no end to be abusive Really.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Halfords price match by the way.
  • KingC
    Could anyone also tell me what size or type of headset I need for this frame too please?

Thanks
  • Ask the unhelpful @hi@$ at Halfords
  • KingC
    edited September 2015
    FU

/////////////

//////////

/
  • KingC
    Halfords price match by the way.

Oh and for the record again Halfords won't price match parts they don't sell instore or online. The part needed had to be special ordered and they won't price match under those circumstances.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Assuming he intends to use tapered forks.

As with the BB, depends on the crankset.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The unhelpful [*!#$] at Halfords (online chat) told me it was a F30 BB and wouldn't give me the brand name and told me I would need to go in store to request them to order it at a cost of £47.95 and would take 5 working days.

I'm guessing from the link you've provided me the full name is 'PF30 BB' and and is £20 cheaper and can be ordered with next day delivery so thank you.

At the other end of the Internet is guy talking about the unhelpful customer who has bought a frame second hand, rather than from his shop, doesn't know the year, doesn't know that PF30s are made by several manufacturers depending of the cranks to be fitted, and the same for the headset
  • KingC
    edited September 2015
    The unhelpful [*!#$] at Halfords (online chat) told me it was a F30 BB and wouldn't give me the brand name and told me I would need to go in store to request them to order it at a cost of £47.95 and would take 5 working days.

At the other end of the Internet is guy talking about the unhelpful customer who has bought a frame second hand, rather than from his shop, doesn't know the year, doesn't know that PF30s are made by several manufacturers depending of the cranks to be fitted, and the same for the headset

Hence why I have come to a forum for help yet it seems some people on here just want to be $%$%&'s about it don't they.

I'm sorry if the fact I'm new to building bikes from the frame up offends your elite MTB knowledge and that my need for help on certain components clearly upset some on here and I'm sorry I can't be a expert like you all clearly are.

Perhaps I should get help elsewhere where I won't get attitudes from forum MTB snobs!

Do people really find the word T-W@-t offensive? because that's all I did .. Halfords expected me to travel 24 miles to my nearest store, pay over double the amount the BB could be purchased elsewhere and then expected me to wait 5 working days for delivery to store then for me to travel another 24 miles again to collect it. I thanked the poster who helped me and I was grateful and I gave my opinion on the way Halfords acted by expecting the above so I feel I had every right in giving my opinion that they acted like T-w---ts.

The attitude here from certain people stinks. So much for a friendly helpful forum ..
  • KingC
    Assuming he intends to use tapered forks.

As with the BB, depends on the crankset.

Yes the forks will be tapered.

So am I right in thinking I can use any headset so long as it is (1.1/8” to 1.1/2” Tapered) ? it doesn't have to be integrated does it?

Thanks
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Perhaps I should get help elsewhere where I won't get attitudes from forum MTB snobs!

Do people really find the word T-W@-t offensive? because that's all I did .. Halfords expected me to travel 24 miles to my nearest store, pay over double the amount the BB could be purchased elsewhere and then expected me to wait 5 working days for delivery to store then for me to travel another 24 miles again to collect it. I thanked the poster who helped me and I was grateful and I gave my opinion on the way Halfords acted by expecting the above so I feel I had every right in giving my opinion that they acted like T-w---ts.

The attitude here from certain people stinks. So much for a friendly helpful forum ..
    You are the one that started the attitude on this thread. All was fine until you started slagging Halfords off, they often get a slagging on here, but only when they deserve it. They are a business, not a charity so yes they will want you to buy from them. If somebody phones me and wants information having bought one of our parts used so they can go direct and buy the parts elsewhere I wouldn't help them either. There's only one person acting like a tw@t here, that shouldn't offend you as apparently it's not offensive. :roll:
  • KingC

You are the one that started the attitude on this thread. All was fine until you started slagging Halfords off, they often get a slagging on here, but only when they deserve it. They are a business, not a charity so yes they will want you to buy from them. If somebody phones me and wants information having bought one of our parts used so they can go direct and buy the parts elsewhere I wouldn't help them either. There's only one person acting like a tw@t here, that shouldn't offend you as apparently it's not offensive. :roll:

I've purchased 6 bikes from halfords over the last 5 years and lots of accessories, I feel I had every right to use there online help chat to find out the part I needed for this frame as I had every intention to buy it from them either online or in-store but not to be made to wait for a special order taking 5 days.

Why wouldn't I use halfords to find that info out? because to my knowledge there the only online store who sell the bike the frame belongs too ...

But again thanks for the attitude towards me, do you work far Halfords - it seems that way.

The reason I found Halfords tw@t$ was because they wouldn't tell me the brand of the BB I needed so that I could order elsewhere which is fine if they wanted to be like that but I didn't want to wait so long to get the BB which is why I came here for help and got it then explained why I wanted it.

If you are the type of person that when in a hurry to get a part for a bike you like to be made to wait best part of a week for it with 48 miles of unnecessary travel and then pay over the odds for it when it could be ordered online elswhere for half the price and delivered the next day then it's you I feel sorry for because I personally find that to be a tw-@-t situation.

It's not halfords fault no - but not being helpful enough to point me in the right direction so I could order elsewhere well perhaps it isn't their prerogative but it's certainly mine.

Cheers!
  • I own 2 Boardman bikes. I am no mountain biking guru . For what it's worth both the halfords website and boardman one detail bike specs including the make and model of headset. I tend to be very helpful when it comes to these bikes but am not keen when people are abusive or don't do their own searching. Your spelling is way off if you can't distinguish between a turd and the c word.
  • veronese68
    But again thanks for the attitude towards me, do you work far Halfords - it seems that way.
    No, but after 25 years dealing with technical sales I can tell the difference between a customer and a waster.
  • KingC
    F U C K YOU ALL SNOBS

I'LL FORUM ELSEWHERE......................

Tossers!
  • stop bloody moaning u not helping ur self very much be same on any forum you go to and anyway shove this on it.

http://www.szbaf.com/en/components/component/motor/mm-g01350dv.html

50 mph fast enough ;)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    F U C K YOU ALL SNOBS

Tossers!

9/10 for the flounce.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    F U C K YOU ALL SNOBS

Tossers!

9/10 for the flounce.
    Generous 8 at best
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • 5 and a bonus for the pm ....... very colourful.
  • veronese68
    5 and a bonus for the pm ....... very colourful.
    Yes, the pm made me chuckle. Truth hurts, the answers he got were helpful before he started slagging people off.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Actually I agree with him although not in the way he presents his opinions.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    F'n newbies :roll: :lol:

Never thought I'd hear people sticking up for Halford being labelled snobs!!
  • John Wh
    John Wh Posts: 239
    I've asked lots of questions and learned a lot from this forum. Every reply I've received has been helpful and any criticism has been taken on board. Some proper knowledge on here for people willing to be civilized about asking.

Grow up.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Despite his username, I'm getting the distinct impression he isn't really a real King.
This discussion has been closed.