Creaking/clicking only in little ring...

pippi_langsamer-2
pippi_langsamer-2 Posts: 1,470
edited September 2015 in Workshop
As per the title, one of my bikes has developed an annoying creaking/ clicking/ ticking down in what sounds to be the chainset/BB area when climbing only in the smaller 39.

Big ring, everything is silky silent, but change down to the small ring either in or out of the saddle results in said annoyance.

Yes, it is Shimano press fit in an Addict frame. Very low mileage on the bearings and I've had the chainset off, checked the press fit cups were in properly. Checked chainring bolts and NDS crank arm pinch bolts etc.

I'm aware of the obv solutions such as binning the press fit in favour of Praxis adapter etc, but would like to try remedy first.

Comments

• Just had a noise which I traced to chainset, even though all the bolts were tight. Took it apart (Ultegra 6800) and put a small amount of grease between where the two 'plates' of the chainrings join. Might be worth trying that, especially if noise is in small ring only, thereby putting a different pressure around the bolts?
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • Just had a noise which I traced to chainset, even though all the bolts were tight. Took it apart (Ultegra 6800) and put a small amount of grease between where the two 'plates' of the chainrings join. Might be worth trying that, especially if noise is in small ring only, thereby putting a different pressure around the bolts?

I think it's something certainly worth trying, cheers. I had thought about it, but opted to just nip the bolts up without trying grease. Considering this is also a 6800, you could be onto something.
  • As per the title, one of my bikes has developed an annoying creaking/ clicking/ ticking down in what sounds to be the chainset/BB area when climbing only in the smaller 39.

Big ring, everything is silky silent, but change down to the small ring either in or out of the saddle results in said annoyance.

Yes, it is Shimano press fit in an Addict frame. Very low mileage on the bearings and I've had the chainset off, checked the press fit cups were in properly. Checked chainring bolts and NDS crank arm pinch bolts etc.

I'm aware of the obv solutions such as binning the press fit in favour of Praxis adapter etc, but would like to try remedy first.

Without wishing to put out a daft suggestion, I noticed a ticking when I was in the little ring. Drove me crazy for ages and then realised that it was the crank arm on the drive side clicking against the end of the gear cable. It only did it in the little ring because the cable is under less tension and sticks out further then. A quick trim of some excess and a new end cap sorted it.
    2015 Specialized Tarmac Expert Ultegra
    2016 Focus Mares CX Ultegra
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper HT Comp Carbon 29
    2012 Boardman Road Race 105
    2013 Specialized Hardrock Disc
  • As per the title, one of my bikes has developed an annoying creaking/ clicking/ ticking down in what sounds to be the chainset/BB area when climbing only in the smaller 39.

Without wishing to put out a daft suggestion, I noticed a ticking when I was in the little ring. Drove me crazy for ages and then realised that it was the crank arm on the drive side clicking against the end of the gear cable. It only did it in the little ring because the cable is under less tension and sticks out further then. A quick trim of some excess and a new end cap sorted it.

Di2, so no chance of that here...
  • Just check if you have a chain drop prevention device touching the chain.
  • No chain catcher

Greasing and re-torquing seems to have solved the problem :D