La Vuelta 15 #9 Torrevieja / Cumbre del Sol **SPOILERS**

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,452
    Well well well, fireworks to rival the ones in Bilbao this week.

Amazingly Froome outsprints climbing sprinter Joaquim Rodriguez.

Even more amazingly the 85kg Dutchman comes past both of them to claim victory.

Suspending disbelief on how he can do it, he gave that some real heart, rode from the front and thoroughly deserved the win and to rejain the jersey.

I'm surprised that he managed it on that type of climb as well, with the changes in pitch etc, but where did you get 85kg from? Procyclingstats says 69 and Giant Alpecin state 71kg.

He invents weights to fit his preconceptions / bias. I think Porte is down to 45kg to suit Frenchie's incredulity at him being able to TT. Slightly bigger rider climbing well, exaggerate to 85kg.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Quite dumbfounded that he can beat time trial beasts like Martin and Cancellara on pan flat TTs and then drop sub 18 BMI riders on 19% gradients.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Thank goodness Tom Dumoulin isn't a Sky rider.
    That's all I can say. :lol:

They'd have him down to 35kg if he was :wink:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    That was really really good.

Tom D is a great rider. Outstanding by Froome too.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    Quite a big time loss for my man Chaves.

Stage 9 Results
    NED 1 DUMOULIN, Tom (TEAM GIANT - ALPECIN) 4:09:55
    GBR 2 FROOME, Christopher (SKY) + 2
    ESP 3 RODRIGUEZ OLIVER, Joaquin (KATUSHA) + 5
    ITA 4 ARU, Fabio (ASTANA) + 16
    POL 5 MAJKA, Rafal (TINKOFF - SAXO) + 18
    COL 6 QUINTANA ROJAS, Nairo Alexander (MOVISTAR) + 20
    ESP 7 VALVERDE BELMONTE, Alejandro (MOVISTAR)
    IRL 8 ROCHE, Nicolas (SKY) + 31
    ITA 9 POZZOVIVO, Domenico (AG2R LA MONDIALE) + 33
    RSA 10 MEINTJES, Louis (MTN - QHUBEKA) + 34

General Classification after Stage 9
    NED 1 DUMOULIN, Tom (TEAM GIANT - ALPECIN) 35:22:13
    ESP 2 RODRIGUEZ OLIVER, Joaquin (KATUSHA) + 57
    COL 3 CHAVES RUBIO, Johan Esteban (ORICA GreenEDGE) + 59
    IRL 4 ROCHE, Nicolas (SKY) + 1:07
    Contador is the Greatest
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Must be best mountain finish we've seen in ages? About ten different riders I'd thought would win that at various stages in last 2km.
  • Pross
    Quite dumbfounded that he can beat time trial beasts like Martin and Cancellara on pan flat TTs and then drop sub 18 BMI riders on 19% gradients.

He's fresher, he has loads of power and he's probably only going to ride 2 weeks of the race unless he is still in with a serious chance of winning. See how he goes on Stage 11 first.
  • Must be best mountain finish we've seen in ages? About ten different riders I'd thought would win that at various stages in last 2km.

+1 Great last 2km. Was expecting Jrod to romp it and thought Chaves would do better but he's been a revelation and will certainly feature more strongly in GCs to come
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 406
    Well well well, fireworks to rival the ones in Bilbao this week.

Amazingly Froome outsprints climbing sprinter Joaquim Rodriguez.

Even more amazingly the 85kg Dutchman comes past both of them to claim victory.

I'm surprised that he managed it on that type of climb as well, with the changes in pitch etc, but where did you get 85kg from? Procyclingstats says 69 and Giant Alpecin state 71kg.

He invents weights to fit his preconceptions / bias. I think Porte is down to 45kg to suit Frenchie's incredulity at him being able to TT. Slightly bigger rider climbing well, exaggerate to 85kg.

Yeh, I'm familiar with Frenchies weighing scales. It's a weird one to call right now, like you mentioned, he's the freshest out of the top guys other than Aru and Chaves, so 9 stages in that's going to have an affect. Plus there have been no real mountain stages yet, in terms of multiple high passes
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    GC
    CNq14CQWoAA6OHN.png
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    Must be best mountain finish we've seen in ages? About ten different riders I'd thought would win that at various stages in last 2km.

+1 Great last 2km. Was expecting Jrod to romp it and thought Chaves would do better but he's been a revelation and will certainly feature more strongly in GCs to come

5ft 5in Chaves is a former winner of the Tour de l'Avenir and has a pretty decent palmares for his age. Definitely one to keep an eye on all the time. He is a real fighter and is there for the win. Hasn't ridden GT GC before so will be interesting to see what he does.

I'd recommend reading this:
    http://www.alpsandes.com/posts/clinginquisition.com/2014/03/patience-and-emotional-recovery-and.html
    Hard not to root for a guy like that.

?format=750w
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Oh yes! Meintjes was 10th at 34 secs. Still hanging in there!

Four Sky riders in top 13.

Joe Dombro clearly still hasn't got it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    Great stage. A lot of the pre race favs are all within a decent time gap to each other now so sets up the next 2 weeks perfectly. Froome looked strong again but he's obviously still not quite right, looked like sky really fancied today with G in the break and Roche right up there until the last, plus one more not far behind (not sure who, I've flicked to the football).

This has been a pretty good GT so far, some fresh faces and Orica in the spotlight. I've been watching all of their backstage pass videos and once again they come across so very well, going to be grabbing a lot of fans I think, plus their future looks very bright with Chaves and the Yates boys in GC and Ewan in the sprints.
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165

He's fresher, he has loads of power and he's probably only going to ride 2 weeks of the race unless he is still in with a serious chance of winning. See how he goes on Stage 11 first.

Agreed on the fresher. Do the science bods or the likes of Brailsford etc have a metric for freshness? Is huge in cycling and important to manage over the course of a season, yet Can it be quantified, like power, lung capacity, weight etc?
  • Quite dumbfounded that he can beat time trial beasts like Martin and Cancellara on pan flat TTs and then drop sub 18 BMI riders on 19% gradients.

Agreed on the fresher. Do the science bods or the likes of Brailsford etc have a metric for freshness? Is huge in cycling and important to manage over the course of a season, yet Can it be quantified, like power, lung capacity, weight etc?

Most POwer analysis software has a long term/short term stress score calculated from the intensity of efforts over the last 6 weeks and 7 days respectively.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • What a stage, Vuelta delivers again.

Absolute balls of steel from Froome again. Dug himself out multiple times showing proper guts.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    I think a lot of riders went too big too early today. The organisers have put a lot of brand new climbs in this year and I think it may reward the more steady patient riders. When the first action happened about 3km from the finish Dumoulin was one of the slowest to react, a part from Froome who didn't react at all.

Also may I complement the organisers on managing to get the finale to coincide with half-time in the hockey (even if it did have the reverse result)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Really enjoyed that (just watched the recording) hard to think of a rider of any significance who didn't have an attack. Well done all of them :)
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    The race needed this. It has been absolutely dreadful so far and the stage was too until the last climb. I switched to a Premier league match with two teams I couldn't be bothered about with 25km left..

The last ascent indeed was phenomenal, though.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    Great head and heart ride by Froome, even better by Dumolin!

Great stuff! Good on both of them!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Just caught the highlights, managed to avoid any spoilers!

Shame Chaves couldn't hold it, I really wanted him to keep the red.

Stunning ride by Dumoulin - and impressive work by Froome as well, got distanced a couple of times but didn't lose his head and just paced himself back into contention. I thought he was going to lose a packet for a while!

Dumoulin in the interview saying he's lost a bit of weight the last few weeks and apparently his power has stayed the same. He seemed as surprised as everyone else. Be interesting to see how he holds up.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I don't know if it's because of or despite the parcours but it's been a great race so far.
    Cracking last climb today. Shame about Chaves but he's had a good run.
    I was writing Froome off with 4k to go. Gutsy.
  • Pross
    I don't know if it's because of or despite the parcours but it's been a great race so far.
    Cracking last climb today. Shame about Chaves but he's had a good run.

I think the parcours has been slightly better than recent years. Short stages and the finish climbs have been slightly longer to prevent the wheel sucking 1km efforts.
  • Today's final climb was great, but really?
    Much of the race thus far has been pretty dire, dull stuff.
    As usual, this Vuelta is designed and packaged for highlights shows such as ITV 4.

The exception being the mighty stage 11.
    Which reminds me, I must go and pack....................... :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • I be like :shock: :shock: watching that finale

And best of all...no go for Señor Hairplugs :)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

The exception being the mighty stage 11.
    Which reminds me, I must go and pack....................... :P

Stage 11 has a real risk of suffering from that "so hard nothing happens" syndrome.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,540
    Where was that post I made ahead of TdSuisse where I announced that Tom Dumolin would be top 5 in the 2012 tour and I got slated?
  • frenchfighter
    edited August 2015
    On probably every Vuelta spoiler thread there is a comment about someone saying how rubbish this race is. Well it is the Vuelta so you shouldn't be surprised. If the race is not a multi mountain stage there is absolutely no point watching the race before the final kicker which is often very exciting. There are some exceptions (like when the Boss is racing) but generally that is how it goes. Make the most of your day, tune in for the last half hour to get your pro cycling kick, discuss it on the forum, then move onto something else! Bueno.
    Dumoulin in the interview saying he's lost a bit of weight the last few weeks and apparently his power has stayed the same.

Guess who hacked Sky's databases and got the secret recipe for the above?!

People should know better. Froome does it all the time at the Vuelta. If you watch some of the stages from last year's Vuelta it is even more evident - the others accelerate then coast, he diesels along, catches the group who are now riding a much reduced pace, then doesn't catch his breath but keeps on going, making it look impressive, then he gives it the nitrus treatment (nothing like in the Tour mind). It is not pretty and not fun for the fans but adds another dynamic and you have to admire him being headstrong and totally confident in his own abilities.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    3 years to early?

;)

England 1 - 1 Netherlands today, fun day!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574

Is this seriously genuine?