2016 Bikes

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited August 2015 in MTB general
Lots of interesting looking bikes and bits for next year. What's making your credit card nervous?
I would sell both kidneys and a lung for this beauty

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/first-look-intense-m16-carbon-eurobike-2015.html
p3pb12617733.jpg

Comments

• BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    edited August 2015
    Worth chopping the Scalp in for...

For 2016 I have my eye on an e-bike with e-suspension, e-dropper and e-gears.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That Intense is probably the best looking bike I have ever seen.

At the budget end of the scale I am liking this:

http://www.ranelaghcycles.com/m10b0s360p2091/GT-Verb-Comp-2016

Looks like a good one to upgrade over time.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I can't believe GT don't drop I-drive. Its just not good enough anymore.

I'm also liking the look of the Rose Pikes Peak. I'm sure I read somewhere that there will be a carbon version.

Rose-Pikes-Peak-Prototy-First-Look-1-von-22-780x520.jpg
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://enduro-mtb.com/en/first-look-rose-pikes-peak-prototype-with-progeo-system/&ved=0CBwQFjAAahUKEwjox6yipczHAhVJVz4KHcIlAHM&usg=AFQjCNGf6On7N7KI7BSpHe0Ic1EGTQcr2w&sig2=ywkZIEa3Uk5BmRAysDXTtA
  • supersonic
    Not good enough anymore? Why? Nothing new has happened in suspension kinematics for the past decade (closer to 15 years) so unsure why it has suddenly stop working.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    The new Ibis Ripley looks good to me:
    p5pb12617720.jpg
    Not in that colour though. This might replace the Tranisition Smuggler on my wish list.

Would be a frame swap from my current bike and in the realms of reality I also like the look of the new Nukeproof Scout 29er:
    p5pb12614213.jpg
    But it's going to be a tough sell over a Stanton Sherpa or Cotic Solaris.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • rockmonkeysc
    It hasn't stopped working. Others have got better and I-drive wasn't great to start with. It kind of works on the Fury but even that feels a bit weird.
    FSR, maestro and VPP work so much better while I-drive just feels unrefined and very old fashioned. It just feels wrong when pedalling, like the chain is made of elastic.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    i very nearly bought one of these but decided i couldnt wait and prefer the idea of more travel adjust:

Bionicon_Edison_rEVO_enduro_27-5inch_650b_aluminum_mountain_bike_black_studio_3-4.jpg
  • rockmonkeysc
    What is it?
  • sheepsteeth
    2016 bionicon edison evo.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    radon slide 140 carbon I'm interested in, the spec comes in under 10kg.
  • sheepsteeth
    10kg for a whole 140mm bike (im assuming the 140 in the title means travel) that is mental!!
  • supersonic
    VPP work so much better while I-drive just feels unrefined and very old fashioned. It just feels wrong when pedalling, like the chain is made of elastic.

VPP is far worse for that! Very odd dynamics. FSR has virtually zero antisquat, so feels more neutral pedaling - relies on the shock to stop squat, but shocks are so much better nowadays.

But it depends what you like. Most FSR and Idrive to me seem to have less pedal kickback underfoot. Typical high forward single pivot, marin quad link and other so called twin links I can feel 'kick' over bumps, especially when pedaling over rocks.
  • The new Radon Slides are doing it for me. Mind you the slide Carbon 160 is still available at €2600 which is mental cheap - probably bit too much travel for me sadly.

Granite Chiefs look good also.

29'er Yeti is crazy money.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    VPP work so much better while I-drive just feels unrefined and very old fashioned. It just feels wrong when pedalling, like the chain is made of elastic.

VPP is far worse for that! Very odd dynamics. FSR has virtually zero antisquat, so feels more neutral pedaling - relies on the shock to stop squat, but shocks are so much better nowadays.

But it depends what you like. Most FSR and Idrive to me seem to have less pedal kickback underfoot. Typical high forward single pivot, marin quad link and other so called twin links I can feel 'kick' over bumps, especially when pedaling over rocks.
    While it may be arcane, for shorter travel a low mounted single pivot works very well with modern shocks, just feels like a hardtail with a slightly soft rear tyre, doesn't work for longer travel of course.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    The new Radon Slides are doing it for me. Mind you the slide Carbon 160 is still available at €2600 which is mental cheap - probably bit too much travel for me sadly

Same here that's why I've been looking at 140 travel bikes and the radon slide 140 carbon is rather tempting with either fox 34s or pikes.

You could look at the slide 130 29er?
    10kg for a whole 140mm bike (im assuming the 140 in the title means travel) that is mental!!

Yeah but will cost 5199euro.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I looked at the Radon before buying my bike. The geometry put me right off, the top tubes are really short. The review I read suggested that it's lots of shiny bits bolted to a very average frame.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Having already got my dream full susser I'm most excited about the new hardtails coming out next year, one of which has surprised even me with just how much I want one!! :shock:

It almost pains me to say but I really, really like the look of the new Orange P7 :shock:

DSC_09541-963x600.jpg

I await the geometry figures but so far it looks like it's a prime candidate if I ever decide to replace the BFe.

The bird Zero TR also looks great on paper but being alloy makes me a little pensive about it after a few years on a steel frame.

1438118883989-uzwy15lg18ck-700-80.jpg

But I have to say the bike I am most looking forward to for 2016 isn't even an mtb, and I'll probably be shot for putting this here but the new Genesis Datum has staggered me by how much I want one!

GN938.jpg

Nothing overly fancy, probably not the best value or the prettiest, but there is just something about it and the whole vibe it gives off of not being bothered about what surface it rides on and its awesome versatility has put it right at the top of my list. In fact I'm just waiting for it to be put on the system at work and then I'll be ordering one :mrgreen: Bring on November!!
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    My only issue with the datum is that it's more than the bike to work scheme allows. So I just ordered a croix de fer 20 in the sale.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    My only issue with the datum is that it's more than the bike to work scheme allows. So I just ordered a croix de fer 20 in the sale.

It's certainly not cheap, though you can always add a bit of cash up front on top of your C2W voucher as I'm doing, but the CDF certainly is great value for money and next year they seem to have sorted the pretty awful colours they had this too, at least on the equilibriums, the CDF's were pretty nice this year, shame the entry level one had the best colour scheme really!
  • Been looking into Road Bikes and CX bikes as a Winter option since selling the Bird Zero frame and some parts off but having tried out a couple of options today my I've put a strike through these and gone back to a Hardtail option with some light XC wheels and easy rolling tyres which will work well on the road and light off road runs.

Bird TR is an option and it was my plan to swap the orignal Zero out for a size up TR instead however I'm noe considering a 29er option instead which should suit a Winter/Work Commute bike.

So, the bike that has grabbed my attention is another Hardtail in the form of the Trek Procaliber SL with it's IsoSpeed decoupler taken from the Domane road bike to take the buzz out of the trail which should be ideal for quick blasts around Swinley and bumpy roads. Not a fan of the RS-1 fork from a perfomance perspective so I would build my own and go with a SID instead or choose the 9.8 SL version.

1435707820210-f2rq0gv2f0f8-960-540.jpg

I'd consider a carbon Superfly but I've become snobby from having internal cable routing and so the Superfly puts me off in this instance.

The other bike I like the look of is another Trek and is the Top Fuel which I think would be really useful going up to a 120mm fork and would be a really quick XC bike.

1435707820190-1y0z21a1ta1ds-960-540.jpg

I already have a 120mm FS bike in the pipeline for next year otherwise I would be seriously considering this frame to build up.
  • rockmonkeysc
    What don't you like about the RS1? I was quite impressed when I tried one.
  • What don't you like about the RS1? I was quite impressed when I tried one.
    The 120mm set I had a brief run with just didn't feel right, almost like the steering was slower with the fork and at times the wheel felt like it wanted to tuck under the front into bends. The actual workings of the suspension were fine. Maybe the 100mm versions are more direct or maybe it was just me.

How did you find them compared to a traditional configuration?
  • rockmonkeysc
    They felt to me like a very nicely damped short travel fork but much more rigid than any other xc fork I had ever ridden. The 120mm set I rode felt great and I had absolutely no front end grip problems. Maybe it was something else on the bike set up causing your lack of grip.
  • They felt to me like a very nicely damped short travel fork but much more rigid than any other xc fork I had ever ridden. The 120mm set I rode felt great and I had absolutely no front end grip problems. Maybe it was something else on the bike set up causing your lack of grip.

Could well be as simple as crappy tyres - seems feasible. Propriatory hub and being stuck with the remote lockout lever are also a put off. The hub I could deal with but the remote lockout is a pisser. SID RCT3 will be the alternative.
  • swod1
    I looked at the Radon before buying my bike. The geometry put me right off, the top tubes are really short. The review I read suggested that it's lots of shiny bits bolted to a very average frame.

yeah you could be right as you do get a great spec maybe that is to make up for it.

Ive looked at Rose Granite Chief too but these could be the same, great spec and average ride. i could have what i want on this pikes, new xt groupset etc.

might keep a look out for a deal on a giant trance or mondraker as would like to try one to see how the longer front end works out
  • rockmonkeysc

yeah you could be right as you do get a great spec maybe that is to make up for it.

Ive looked at Rose Granite Chief too but these could be the same, great spec and average ride. i could have what i want on this pikes, new xt groupset etc.

might keep a look out for a deal on a giant trance or mondraker as would like to try one to see how the longer front end works out

Rose do at least have UK demo bikes so a test ride might be possible.
  • The new Radon Slides are doing it for me. Mind you the slide Carbon 160 is still available at €2600 which is mental cheap - probably bit too much travel for me sadly

Same here that's why I've been looking at 140 travel bikes and the radon slide 140 carbon is rather tempting with either fox 34s or pikes.

You could look at the slide 130 29er?

Yeah but will cost 5199euro.

29'ers are a no-no for me. Interesting what RockmonkeySC said about top tube, and coming from a C456, short toptube on the Radon would be a bad option. Not sure if the 2016 bikes are a bit longer?
    Rose Granite Chief is very appealing.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Looking at Rose the Mr Big carbon 29er looks really good value. Actually quite tempted by one.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Lappierre sell a lot of bike based on their aesthetics. Not anymore......

11934536_864522233585271_8431685847126152326_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

This thing is truly fugly. The top tube is curved the wrong way
    Looks like a dog squatting for a turd.
    Not a pretty bike!
  • sheepsteeth
    hmm, iwonder wherethey got the idea for a cranked upwards top tube......