More 'no cycling' signs - can we fight this?

2»

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I just ride on anything, take it easy on paths, and give way to walkers. Very rarely have any issues at all.

My local riding is pretty much this. Except I can't recall any issues with walkers or horse riders.

I did once have a RC Car owner getting huffy with us at the local BMX track one afternoon. He was driving his car the wrong way up the track though

I destroyed a RC car at the BMX track when some idiot decided to drive it in front of me. It looked expensive as well.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    move to scotland and have none of this shit :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    move to scotland and have none of this shoot :lol:

Third world countries do tend to be a bit lawless.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thought I'd tack this question in here since its of a similar nature.

What are the rules regarding treatment of pedestrians who use cycle paths as opposed to the immediately adjacent footpaths?

The specific details of why I'm asking is that along the local cycle path (NCN route 54) there are stretches where the regular footpaths have been augmented with sections of designated cycle path (green Tarmac, lane markings, the whole nine.)

Unfortunately the local dog walkers seem to ignore this fact and use the cycle paths not the footpaths, and then get pissed at me cos their dogs that aren't on a lead almost get flattened.

So far I've done my best to remain civil and just give a shout of 'excuse me' on approach but today some moronic woman took it upon herself to shout I was endangering her dogs and implied I make a habit of playing with myself. (Was doing 5-10mph having slowed significantly to pass them and their dogs) Admittedly I lost my cool and may have called her a... Lady garden, and told her to get the F off the cycle path of she felt that way. So I'm just wandering how much right of way we have on cycle paths that are clearly marked as separate to footpaths?
  • cooldad
    Chill out and deal with it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • If they were civil to me I'd have continued on as always.. But the fact she abused me for simply using a cycle path and giving them a polite shout to move out my way (bell was ignored) was uncalled for.

Just wandering how much legal right of way I have when some little turd machine ends up getting hurt because its owner can't keep it under control and chooses to take it down the wrong path.

Every other person who was on the cycle path and moved got a pleasant thank you.. This woman just pushed past my limits of decency.
  • cooldad

makes no sense

Must be that third world education.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369

makes no sense

Must be that third world education.

not my fault you went to a crap school :(

cycling where you want is not against the law in scotland hence my reply since you can't understand :wink:
  • Opportunity to contribute to improvement of outdoor access in Wales consultation is open now. You can find it on the ctc website ctc.org.uk
  • Thought I'd tack this question in here since its of a similar nature.

What are the rules regarding treatment of pedestrians who use cycle paths as opposed to the immediately adjacent footpaths?

The specific details of why I'm asking is that along the local cycle path (NCN route 54) there are stretches where the regular footpaths have been augmented with sections of designated cycle path (green Tarmac, lane markings, the whole nine.)

Unfortunately the local dog walkers seem to ignore this fact and use the cycle paths not the footpaths, and then get pissed at me cos their dogs that aren't on a lead almost get flattened.

So far I've done my best to remain civil and just give a shout of 'excuse me' on approach but today some moronic woman took it upon herself to shout I was endangering her dogs and implied I make a habit of playing with myself. (Was doing 5-10mph having slowed significantly to pass them and their dogs) Admittedly I lost my cool and may have called her a... Lady garden, and told her to get the F off the cycle path of she felt that way. So I'm just wandering how much right of way we have on cycle paths that are clearly marked as separate to footpaths?

There are no *only* bike paths, it's a shared path. Quite often sustrans stuff is good dog walking, cycling not so much!
  • The Sustrans shared route in to Bath from the 2 Tunnels is hopeless. So many dog walkers and runners you just get nowhere fast. I came off on two occasions when I hit one of those extending dog leads on dark mornings when the dog was in the hedge and the owner on the opposite side of the path.
    Runners were just annoying, usually two or three side by side, all with headphones in, you can shout as loud as you want and they won't hear a thing. Throwing twigs at them usually got their attention and got them angry.
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    The Sustrans shared route in to Bath from the 2 Tunnels is hopeless. So many dog walkers and runners you just get nowhere fast. I came off on two occasions when I hit one of those extending dog leads on dark mornings when the dog was in the hedge and the owner on the opposite side of the path.
    Runners were just annoying, usually two or three side by side, all with headphones in, you can shout as loud as you want and they won't hear a thing. Throwing twigs at them usually got their attention and got them angry.

Just get so close behind them you can brush their heels with your front wheel.. And stand up and lean forwards a bit.. They normally notice then :)
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • What I find shocking is that the same busy route is used by a local cycling club for their weekly time trial. They are known locally for being a bunch of anti social morons.
  • The problem is not the OP, but people are like sheep right. Once one person does something everyone is doing it and before long the anti-establishment teens will come flying down those tracks with no respect and that's probably what worries the local walkers because we use these paths for our dogs and don't expect a cyclist. My dog is pretty obedient off the lead, but even so it's more likely to go towards the bike wagging its tail. Extendable leads are horrible things. They're for people who never bothered to train their dog. Short lead in town though. I cycle with my dog. Means we both get fit.

We've got a few footpaths leading up to some waterfalls and they look amazing to ride down, but people have ridden them at peak times causing problems. The locals still use them, but only off season and when it's known to be mostly quiet.

I'd probably complain. It's harsh, but I would worry about others doing it too and treating it like a trail. Probably not bother with signs. Don't want to be a total kill joy.

As for people standing in the way at trail centers then moaning about the users then they aught to be reported as they obviously have no respect for the riders and are putting their safety at risk. Not had walkers on the trails at coed y brenin, but there is a section that is shared by both although I have walked some technical trails especially when riding on my own to get an idea of lines, etc.

I would never ride footpaths. Bridle ways are fine. It helps growing up in an area too and being a local as you can always asks the land owners if you're worried about and issue riding over un-marked land.

My favorite is riding cadair idris in Wales on the pony path. People are never angry, they just think you'e got a screw loose and see you on your way!

We're pretty lucky in wales though. Trail centers for all abilities, snowdon and cadair for the more daring and lots of interesting bridle ways and few people to complain at you if you go the wrong way.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    The Sustrans shared route in to Bath from the 2 Tunnels is hopeless. So many dog walkers and runners you just get nowhere fast. I came off on two occasions when I hit one of those extending dog leads on dark mornings when the dog was in the hedge and the owner on the opposite side of the path.

We have a Sustrans route behind where we live. A converted train line. Pedestrians, dogs and dogwalkers, horses and riders and cyclists all use it. The thing to remember is that there is a pecking order. Animals (even dogs on extending leads), walkers and runners and cyclists in that order. To be fair, this is also the same on bridleways. It is incumbent on all cyclists to give way to all other users. Most cyclist understand this. There are always some knobheads that don't get this (or ignore it) and ride sh1t or bust in a dangerous way. They deserve all the aggravation and abuse they get. Trouble is, we are all seen as the same because of this.
    I use this route as both a dogwalker and cyclist. What I appreciate most is a cyclist who uses a bell to warn they are coming. I just don't get the reluctance of any cyclist who does not use one. Who the f*** can't afford 99p for one from Aldi?

Just saying.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • I don't use a bell on any of my bikes. Why? Because I don't want one and most of all, I don't need one. It is a lot nicer and in my opinion, a lot more polite to slow down and say something along the lines of "Excuse me please"
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    What I appreciate most is a cyclist who uses a bell to warn they are coming. I just don't get the reluctance of any cyclist who does not use one. Who the f*** can't afford 99p for one from Aldi?
    I don't use a bell on any of my bikes. Why? Because I don't want one and most of all, I don't need one. It is a lot nicer and in my opinion, a lot more polite to slow down and say something along the lines of "Excuse me please"
    I have used a bell in the past, but I don't now because despite comments to the contrary, hearing the bell mostly confuses people. I think it can be tricky to tell where the sound is coming from in some situations. Speaking can work okay and is always better with horses, but again "Excuse me please" often seems not to be heard until too late.
    Bizarrely, what I have found most effective is to imitate a bell with my voice! A cheerfully called "Ding-a-ling!" has never yet let me down!
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • cooldad
    Every time I ask someone to play with my ding a ling they call the cops.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • and rightly so you old perv.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    I can only speak from my own experience. As a walker I much prefer hearing a bell sounded a good while before the user is upon me. Random shouts of "Excuse me" or "Coming through" I find confusing especially if I'm talking.

As a cyclist I know I can get where I'm going more quickly than any other method by using a bell.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Personally, I do get a few shouts from walkers here in the New Forest to the general tune of "you shouldn't be here". Deep down I know if I was a devout law abiding citizen, they've got a point. However, what I'm doing is causing very little harm IMO and, quite frankly, you only live once so riding my MTB in the beautiful forest is what I'll continue to do. Politely, of course. Thinking about it, a large majority of those that moan look as miserable as sin anyway and, truth be known, they're envious that you look like you're having so much fun.
  • I'm surprised there have been no comments in response to this article in the Western Morning News - http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Mountain-bikers-destroying-environment-protected/story-27862423-detail/story.html
  • I can only speak from my own experience. As a walker I much prefer hearing a bell sounded a good while before the user is upon me.

Yes, a bit of foreplay never hurt.
  • This happens in Grenoside regularly. We have three marked DH trails - but the intersect old footpaths. They are only marked at the top. So walkers will walk onto the tracks halfway down then walk up/down them! Not their fault.

Yes this has happened to me before on the dh runs too. The best I have had is joggers running the wrong way round parkwood springs with a dog off its lead. Came down the little dh run and nearly cleaned them all up. I politely asked them not to run the wrong way round as I would feel terrible if I ran over their dog. All I got back was a load of grief and I was told that I need to check the council website as its intended for everyone's to use. Some people cant be reasoned with, its not about your mode of transport its your attitude towards other people.
  • I'll probably get lynched for saying this, but I can see it from both sides, but unless you're in a taped off event/race where you can confidently blat around blind corners and rises, you should be prepared and able to stop.
    If you have visibility then fill your boots. Just common sense and due diligence really.

I must add though that a lot of Walker types just look utterly miserable, quite often I'll go past a group in the Pennines and give a nod/how do and get no acknowledgement at all, but on the other hand some are quite jolly and have a chat.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I'll probably get lynched for saying this, but I can see it from both sides, but unless you're in a taped off event/race where you can confidently blat around blind corners and rises, you should be prepared and able to stop.
    If you have visibility then fill your boots. Just common sense and due diligence really.

I must add though that a lot of Walker types just look utterly miserable, quite often I'll go past a group in the Pennines and give a nod/how do and get no acknowledgement at all, but on the other hand some are quite jolly and have a chat.

Thats how i look at it, right of way means nothing if you wipe out a walker at high speed, even on designated MTB trails. If i can't see i cut back on the speed.
  • Generally agree with comments on here, other people around? slow down.
    On the subject of 'wear & tear' IIRC English Heritage & the National Trust did a trial last year and found that boots & tyres are broadly equivalent. Skidding can cause damage but so can gouging heels. Live & let live.
    'fool'
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    Where I ride, it's all shared paths.. On the steeper sections (there are a few where once you have momentum it's quite hard to stop as it's a loose surface), I just go slower until I can see all the way down. Or I send someone else first if I really want to go for it :)

Walkers around? Slow down - don't annoy them any more than need be. If you approach slowly, they will get out the way quicker.. Or if you are maybe going a little too fast, shout "Hello" or "Sorry" as you go past them - makes a world of difference (as can a slightly panicked look on your face - makes them laugh. People find it hard to be cross when they are laughing..) :-D

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie