God I Hate Facebook

2»

Comments

• shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    I do use face book but purely for keeping in touch with family and friends in far flung places. There, that was almost like what I imagine an AA meeting to be like. But with my confession out in the open I now feel clear headed and ready to ask my question. I feel cleansed :D

Is it unheard of to have prospective employers visit the facebook page of job applicants in order to try and create a 'life style' picture of them?
    What I am suggesting is that are youngsters using facebook, or any social media, storing potential future problems for themselves in this regard?
    E.G. The candidate sat in front of interviewer appears outwardly to be sane, level headed and mature. However having seen the candidates facebook etc they actually demonstrate an attitude of being racist, sexist, homophobic etc or maybe just immature and puerile and not the sort of person the company wish to be associated with.
    In other words are the youth of today storing up trouble for themselves which might bite their bum at some time in the future simply by behaving like a knob on social media?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    I do use face book but purely for keeping in touch with family and friends in far flung places. There, that was almost like what I imagine an AA meeting to be like. But with my confession out in the open I now feel clear headed and ready to ask my question. I feel cleansed :D

Is it unheard of to have prospective employers visit the facebook page of job applicants in order to try and create a 'life style' picture of them?
    What I am suggesting is that are youngsters using facebook, or any social media, storing potential future problems for themselves in this regard?
    E.G. The candidate sat in front of interviewer appears outwardly to be sane, level headed and mature. However having seen the candidates facebook etc they actually demonstrate an attitude of being racist, sexist, homophobic etc or maybe just immature and puerile and not the sort of person the company wish to be associated with.
    In other words are the youth of today storing up trouble for themselves which might bite their bum at some time in the future simply by behaving like a knob on social media?

Of course employers and prospective employers check Facebook.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    I've heard of employers looking at people's facebook stuff, there were one or two reports of it in the earlier days, but I'm guessing it still happens.

The other one that makes me cringe is when users put all their personal details on it for anyone to see, they seem to have no concept of 'public' and 'private' persona. We can see who their family are, where they live, the insides of their houses. And THEN they go and tell all and sundry that they're on their holidays in Majorca and that they hope the house is ok and Tibbles is on her own apart from when Jackie comes in to feed her at 7:30. :lol:

The older I get, the better I was.

• shortcuts

Of course employers and prospective employers check Facebook.
    LOL I was but asking a question. :roll:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,954
    Yes.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I am really close to pressing the button to delete it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135
    I've got mixed feelings about it. I've managed to get back in touch with several old friends I'd lost touch with after leaving school (in the days before mobile phones). Several groups / clubs I belong to use the group pages to organise things and it's a good way to allow everyone to know what's happening. Also, a personal trainer I know uses it to run a very effective diet programme through a private group page (the only place you'll see me do the cliche 'posting your dinner photo'). It works really well as you use the page to post pictures of your meal and your daily food diary which others in the group see so it helps ensure you stick to the diet properly.

On the other hand I hate all the reposted drivel and the fact that people I know to be reasonably sane in real life will regurgitate any old nonsense they read and assume it's true or blindly post propoganda from the likes of Britain First without even considering what they are saying. Then there's all the 'hilarious' videos that get posted by about a dozen friends and the stupid things that end with 'if you don't repost this you don't want world peace'.

I'm going to try this Facebook Pure thing and also have another cull to get rid of people I don't use FB to contact reasonably regularly.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Facebook users consist of two groups of people:

1. People lying about their life, making it out to be more interesting than it is.
    2. People that believe the lies, conclude that others have a better life then their own, and suck up to them to bathe in a little reflected glory.

The two groups are not mutually exclusive. No wonder teenagers are so full of angst these days.

I'd add another group, of people who use it to 'show off''... their latest car, their latest holiday, the latest restaurant plate of food they've had, who's party they've been invited to, Nope, used it for a few weeks till i saw all this going on... Shallow friends and acquaintances Moi! :)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • shortcuts
    That has always amused me about facebook.
    Prior to such media did people really go out for a meal, take a photo of their food and, on the way home, knock at the doors of friends, family, neighbours etc to show them the picture? :roll:
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I don't understand why people "Need" FB to keep in touch with family and friends. What's wrong with email and phone?
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Or meeting someone in a pub or a cafe ?

"600 Friends on Facebook" ... How many of them are really friends, who would lend you £20 or drive out to the middle of nowhere to pick you up after a mechanical? A friend of mine volunteered to drive 500 miles + and short notice to pick me up when I ended up in hospital, he asked nothing for it.

I don't use Facebook myself as I don't like the bitchyness or intrusiveness. But a guy I know who does use Facebook (hundreds of times a day) just shows us videos on his mobile phone of some dog performing magic tricks in the USA. He just doesn't post anything of interest himself.

My employer, openly encouraged "social media" , the cynic in me thinks this is so they can see what the employees are saying. I've known the employer to deliberately look for things to use against an employee, you only have to do or say something controversial and the employer could deliberately use it out of context against you.

This openness is not two way, they want us to be open but then the establishment is not transparent itself. I.E Chilcot Inquiry. Or Royal Family funding and accounts.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • ben@31
    This great link sums up 10 reasons why I'm not interested in Facebook...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flRg9Q1d3kY
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I don't understand why people "Need" FB to keep in touch with family and friends. What's wrong with email and phone?

Nobody needs it, but it's a convenient way to have a group conversation - a bit like this place.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,954

Nobody needs it, but it's a convenient way to have a group conversation - a bit like this place.
    Oh, come on. Don't be silly and bringing logic to the debate.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Linked In is far worse in my opinion than Faecesbook.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    Linked In is far worse in my opinion than Faecesbook.
    I keep getting requests to join various people's network, I'm not on there so I can't. LikedIn is great for the botherer that wants something, preferably on the cheap, from a contact. It's not so good for the botheree I suspect.
  • ben@31
    The problem with Facebook, LinkedIn and even online dating. Is people are "economical with the truth". Having read friends CV's on LinkedIn, they appear so massaged and a bit of buzzword bingo thrown into make themselves appear to have an amazing job title. Ambient replenishment controllers (shelf stackers).
    Regional head of services, infrastructure and procurement (caretaker). How many used the most flattering photo from a good angle on their online dating profile? :D