Am I going to die?

rhodrich
rhodrich Posts: 867
edited September 2015 in Commuting chat
So my neighbour was clearing out his garage the other week, and gave me his crummy old 1970's Dawes 'Chevron' racer that hasn't seen the road in about 25 years.

I've stripped it down to the frame, purchased a cheap fixed wheelset off eBay, and converted it into a fixed gear, with the plan that I'll start doing some commutes on it.

I've never ridden fixed before, and took for its first ride round the cricket green last night.

How long does it take to get used to these things? Whilst I avoided coming a cropper, it seemed to demand extreme concentration to work out that you can't just stop pedalling. I've got a front brake, but slowing down seemed to be harder too. I've got no idea how to do a skid stop, and stopping completely is a challenge too, as I can't trackstand.

I've not even taken it over any hills yet!
1938 Hobbs Tandem
1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
1960 Mercian Superlight Track
1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
1980 Harry Hall
1986 Dawes Galaxy
1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
1988 Pearson
1989 Condor
1993 Dawes Hybrid
2016 Ridley Helium SL
*Currently on this

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367
    Yes, eventually. Probably nothing to do with the bike and cycling will probably delay the inevitable.
    Part of me wants to try fixed, but my knees keep telling me not to.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, you are certainly going to die, anythime in the next 80 years I think.

It will be like clipless, just when you think you are getting used to it, you realise you weren't when you come a cropper!

Having watched the terrifying Manchester bus video, please fit a rear brake!

Your signature is now out of date it seems!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Adapt or die. OK a bit extreme, just adapt.

You'll need to change how you approach traffic/filtering, especially close to curbs. Also check the toe overlap, making tight twisty turns can easily result in jamming your foot into the wheel leading to a slow motion clipless style fall.

You don't need to know how to skid stop. Get a decent brake fitted and get used to using your legs to modulate speed. If you need to stop fast, get your weight back and use them legs.
  • I found you got used to it quite quickly, my Fuji Track came as a fixie, which I ran like that for a while.

As long as you've got a decent front brake, stopping should be ok,

Don't think any one enjoys descending hills fixed to be honest - that and corners was the main reason that I went SS.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    When I first went fixed for a few years in 90s (after I removed all gear-related stuff and got a track rear wheel for my Dave Russell) I had one "moment" when I tried to stop pedalling on the first downhill part of my commute. I nearly got catapulted off the bike, after that I'd learned the instinct.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • rhodrich
    ...so I'm going to knacker my knees, before falling off when I least expect it? Remind me why people do this again? Is 'because I've always wanted to try it' a good enough excuse?

Fortunately, the bike was designed for 27" wheels, so there's no problem with toe overlap. Quite the opposite - even getting a front brake to fit was a challenge owing to the deep drop required. A Mafac 'racer' brake that I had in the parts bin seemed to fit the bill perfectly, and also looks the part.

I guess I'll need to do a few practice rides first on quiet roads before hitting the commute.....
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • iPete
    Perfectly valid excuse. It's good fun and broke up the monotony of my commute a few years back. Great fun in the Surrey Hills and around Richmond Park.

If the gear is quite big don't pull away from lights sitting down, control descents, have a smooth pedal stroke etc. 13,000 miles and counting and no knackered knees.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    It should only take a few rides and then you'll get a feel for it and stop those 'jolt' moments when you try and freewheel. You'll also lose the feeling of the bike controlling you and kind of work with it.

I've done thousands and thousands of miles riding fixed over the last few years and the idea it will wreck your knees is nonsense. The only time you'll have knee problems if if you're using a gear that's too big or if you try and stop by resisting the pedals at high speeds.

Track stands are genuinely a useful skill and should be learned. Any form of skidding, whilst fun, doesn't really serve any purpose and will cost you more in tyres. 9/10 times you should be able to stop just fine with your legs and just rely on a front brake here and there.
  • Don't worry, the pain of having the pedals gore the back of your legs will teach you to not stop peddling!

But seriously. Start slowly with a relatively easy gear (46-16 or 48-17 for example) and build up. Don't clip in to start with, just get used to the fact the pedals don't stop until the bike stops and try to slow down and speed up gradually, don't try to hack at the pedals to go faster.

In terms of braking, I ride a fix with panniers and front brake only. I've never had problems and to be honest find using the brake less stressful on the knees. All I do is allow a bit extra stopping distance and keep the brake in tip top condition.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I felt fine on my fixie, until I went round a tight corner at speed.

I no longer own a fixie.
    Insert bike here:
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Am I going to die?

No, of course not. Likelihood is that you will merely maim yourself.

*You'll also get to mash up the ramp out of our garage as a nice warm up in the evening.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,012

Having been thinking of trying fixed for some time, I've only just considered this problem. So what is the way to deal with this?
  • iPete

Having been thinking of trying fixed for some time, I've only just considered this problem. So what is the way to deal with this?

either use a track bike with a high BB, 165mm chainset or just ride around corners sensibly..
  • pastryboy
    Deal with it by cornering properly like millions of others do all over the world every day?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,012
    Deal with it by cornering properly like millions of others do all over the world every day?

When I descend a winding hill with a freewheel I can put the inside pedal at the top as I turn, both to avoid pedal strike and to push down on the outside. How does this work with a fixed?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699

When I descend a winding hill with a freewheel I can put the inside pedal at the top as I turn, both to avoid pedal strike and to push down on the outside. How does this work with a fixed?

You pedal, always. Descending is quite different on a fixed.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482

Er the short answer is that it doesn't work - this is why as mentioned above you need a higher bottom bracket so you can continue to pedal through the corners, or shorter cranks, or both.

In practice, you'll find yourself descending slower on a fixed gear because otherwise it becomes a bit ridiculous.
  • dhope
    Er the short answer is that it doesn't work - this is why as mentioned above you need a higher bottom bracket so you can continue to pedal through the corners, or shorter cranks, or both.
    Unless you're being pretty aggressive with the cornering then you don't need to worry too much about shorter cranks etc
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • pastryboy
    You feel more connected to a fixed gear and you just get a feel for how to take corners and pick the right line (generally a bit slower and wider than on a geared). I've personally never had any issue with pedal strike.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    How long does it take to get used to these things? Whilst I avoided coming a cropper, it seemed to demand extreme concentration to work out that you can't just stop pedalling.

While you won't die ((soon) probably), when I first tried fixed, I got about a kilometre, reached a roundabout that had a car looking to pull out on the other side I so stood up and coasted across the roundabout, or at least that was what I planned. Instead I suddenly found myself sliding along the ground somehow with bike still attached. Not that high on the pain scale of my bike crashes tbh, only bad fixed moment I had.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • rhodrich
    Well I grabbed the bull by the horns, and instead of taking everyone's advice here about doing some practising first, I commuted in the full 14 miles on the fixed gear this morning, and I didn't die! (Shouldn't speak too soon though!)

The first half of my commute is through Surrey/Outer London, without too many junctions or traffic lights, which was fine - barely different from normal. Kingston Hill was an easy climb, but then I'm running a 42x16, so it's not that different a gear to what I'd normally climb it on anyway. The descent on the other side wasn't so easy. I managed it all without using the front brake though.

I found my cruising speed was slower than normal - mainly due to the gear ratio, but otherwise, Richmond Park was uneventful. I even let a few guys overtake me, which is not something I'd usually allow.

Once I'd escaped from the other side of Richmond Park, things started to get interesting. Stop start traffic is quite challenging. I held back from spaces that I'd nip through normally, and the constant coming to a complete stop was hard work.

Nevertheless, I made it to work! Was about 10 minutes slower than normal, but I guess speed only comes with time. I'd rather be slow, and arrive in one piece.....
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • dhope
    Good stuff. You'll start to slow earlier so that you don't need to stop completely. Downhill will become a bit easier too, legs will learn how to spin more freely. And though you can't trackstand yet you'll get better at the not quite trackstanding but not actually moving.
    And you know about getting the wheel in the right place to move off again? Front brake applied when left foot on the floor and use the rear wheel being unseated to pedal through to the right position.
    There might be a better way to describe that.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Once you gear up stopping with your legs become more and more difficult, especially skidding about like some aerospoked hipster.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • I've only ever ridden fixed on the track which is fun and safe because everyone goes in the same direction and there aren't any motorists to do anything silly.

However I don't think I would do it on the road myself, even with a front brake. I know you can allow yourself more braking space to the car in front but you still can't rely on other motorists to not attempt to pull out or right hook you (even with perfect positioning it still happens). In those situations I would want
    maximum braking power without worrying about locking up my back wheel uselessly or getting catapulted. I know some people will say it is possible to stop in the same distance as on a bike with a freewheel/brakes but I'm not convinced.

Plus if you ever had to claim on their insurance I'd be worried about a counter claim that my bike didn't have enough brakes/was unsafe.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    When I rode fixed I kept front and rear brakes. There's then no reason why stopping distances should be any different from a geared bike.
    As an aside, one guy here at work commutes fixed in traffic without any brakes - he's extremely stupid IMHO. And an accident I witnessed a few weeks ago, where the guy had right of way across a junction but a car "didn't see him" as she turned across, ended up with him groaning on the road - his snapped forks and front wheel a few metres away - had been on a fixed with no brakes too.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • dhope
    Plus if you ever had to claim on their insurance I'd be worried about a counter claim that my bike didn't have enough brakes/was unsafe.
    A fixed gear bike with a front brake legally has two brakes.
    One is the front brake, the other is the fixed drivetrain.

I certainly wouldn't consider commuting brakeless (for a start, I don't/can't skid), but I do ride with just the front brake and don't find stopping distances any problem - a couple of times I've lifted the back wheel a bit under braking, so there's no lack of power there (and a rear brake wouldn't have done any more).
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367
    When I rode fixed I kept front and rear brakes. There's then no reason why stopping distances should be any different from a geared bike.
    As an aside, one guy here at work commutes fixed in traffic without any brakes - he's extremely stupid IMHO. And an accident I witnessed a few weeks ago, where the guy had right of way across a junction but a car "didn't see him" as she turned across, ended up with him groaning on the road - his snapped forks and front wheel a few metres away - had been on a fixed with no brakes too.
    I know cycling isn't as dangerous as many perceive, but why would you deliberately make it more dangerous?
  • When I rode fixed I kept front and rear brakes. There's then no reason why stopping distances should be any different from a geared bike.
    I know cycling isn't as dangerous as many perceive, but why would you deliberately make it more dangerous?

Lack of imagination? When I'm at my folks, I drive slower than I used to, my imagination/memory of near misses and what ifs.
  • rhodrich
    So my MAFAC front brake really is rubbish. Perhaps it's due to the fact that the brake blocks are original and rock hard, but I'm not sure I can cope with the squealing and lack of bite. Descending Dark Hill was a real challenge on the way home. New Koolstop Salmon blocks that fit the Mafac cartridges cost as much as I paid for the whole wheelset, so I may have to think of some other option.
    Oh, and ascending Broomfield fixed hurts. That is all.

However, 28 miles into my fixed riding, and I still haven't died, despite everything....
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • pastryboy
    Whilst I said skidding is pointless, you can hop skid to scrub a little speed off downhill. Not really a beginner move though and, as someone mentioned earlier, the bigger the gear the harder it is to skid. I run a 48/16 and skidding is very hard - balls over the stem type situation.

In terms of being slower on your ride, my best average speed on a commute (at least the 9 miles before there's so many traffic lights any comparison is meaningless) is identical on fixed and geared.

Stick with it for a while then go back to geared and you'll realise you miss the different feel of fixed.