TrainerRoad

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
Starting to think of winter training and looking for some guidance.

Last winter was first time I had 'trained'. I did 3 2x20 turbo sessions a week just while watching some box sets. This was as well as my usual 60 mile weekend ride. There was no plan/structure to my training, was simply done to avoid losing fitness over winter but I have noticed an improvement this year. But, bigger improvements could be made if I was to add a bit more structure/variety.

Because of that I've been thinking of TrainerRoad but not really sure it's for me as I'd ideally want to have 3 x 1 hour turbo sessions a week - which is why 2 x 20 was so convenient.

How does TrainerRoad work, can you structure it so that it will fit around time you have available or does each session change meaning it's a bit all over the place?

Other thing of concern is cost of setup. I'd need a new turbo trainer for certain for the vitual power, and a ANT+ stick for my Bryton computer/cadence/HRM. What price would I be looking at for a decent entry level compatible trainer and ANT+ stick?

Comments

• Starting to think of winter training and looking for some guidance.

Last winter was first time I had 'trained'. I did 3 2x20 turbo sessions a week just while watching some box sets. This was as well as my usual 60 mile weekend ride. There was no plan/structure to my training, was simply done to avoid losing fitness over winter but I have noticed an improvement this year. But, bigger improvements could be made if I was to add a bit more structure/variety.

Because of that I've been thinking of TrainerRoad but not really sure it's for me as I'd ideally want to have 3 x 1 hour turbo sessions a week - which is why 2 x 20 was so convenient.

How does TrainerRoad work, can you structure it so that it will fit around time you have available or does each session change meaning it's a bit all over the place?

Other thing of concern is cost of setup. I'd need a new turbo trainer for certain for the vitual power, and a ANT+ stick for my Bryton computer/cadence/HRM. What price would I be looking at for a decent entry level compatible trainer and ANT+ stick?

To answer your first question, check out this video and some of the other info on the page: How TR Works

You essentially have 3 ways of training with TrainerRoad. You can follow a plan, pick and choose from the workout library as you go, or you can build custom workouts. I think any of these ways could work well for you. For example, the Low Volume version of the Sweet Spot Base plan will have you on the bike 3 days per week, for a total of 3.5 hours. Each workout isn't 2x20, but adding in even more variety to your structure will certainly be beneficial.

Or, the workout library is massive with over 800 structured workouts, and the majority of them are around 60 minutes and plenty of them have similar intervals to 2x20. You can filter the workouts by intensity to find all threshold workouts, and then pick the one that suits your goals for that session.

Lastly, you can always build your own workout, so you have the exact structure you want, ready to go for whenever you want to ride: Creating a Custom Workout

Regarding setup cost, here is some info on compatible and recommended trainers: Compatible Trainers

It's possible to find a good, used trainer online for under $200 on eBay, Amazon, or through local cycling connections. The ANT USB can be as low as $20, like the Docooler USB we recommend in this article: ANT Connectivity
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Get something like this - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/suunto-movestick-mini/rp-prod72198?gs=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwuqauBRDhnfvnxMvKy6UBEiQAmTLQu48qaYmoOdUoNBTUB32-JkXQ1eX_MlEGeiGKGZJsrOIaApHI8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Its brilliant as it barely sticks out of the laptop. The other bigger ones will take a whack and get broken.

Why would you want to do the same session 3 times a week ?

Look at their plans and adapt them if you want. I do one that is normally 5 sessions a week but I do 4 and the other one is my weekend ride.

Each session is different (well apart from the ones that repeat and those let you marvel at your improved fitness week on week).

Its the best investment I've made with cycling. Who needs deep rim wheels when you can train ?
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    What trainer have you got currently, you don't need a smart trainer to use Trainer Road. I have done it with a standard Elite Mag. If you are after a smart trainer then something like the Tacx vortex smart would do the job.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Current trainer is a hand-me-down Edinburgh Cycles own brand Revolution thing that could be up to 10 years old. Did a job last winter but definitely not supported by TR!

Tbh, trying to do this on a budget as saving to get married next year. Have had a quick look on ebay etc but does anyone know of any deals for supported trainers?

Have seen the Tacx Satori for £130.