Buying an aero bike - narrowed down to three.

Hindmost
Hindmost Posts: 57
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm buying a new bike pretty soon and after lots of reading and short test rides I've narrowed it down to 3 (all with Ultegra):-

Canyon Aeroad
Pros - cheapest of the bunch
Cons - can't test ride from a shop; will have to pay extra for a fit.

Specialized Venge
Pros - feels like the nippy-est (could've been the space I had to test it); I've had good experice with Specialized before.
Cons - will have to pay extra for a fit; most expensive of the bunch; I'm not much of a climber anyway but I hear this will be the least comfortable on climbs.

Argon 18 Nitrogen
Pros - will get a full bike fit; feels very stiff; apparently the most aero of the bunch.
Cons - not many reviews; don't know many owners; price-wise it is not that much cheaper than the Venge.

Has anyone had experience with the above 3? If so, would you be kind enough to share your thoughts?

Most of my rides are flat or rolling, fast training rides.

Thanks.

Comments

• I went for the Venge. No regrets whatsoever. Brest bike I've ever ridden and wouldn't change it even if i won the lottery

Ridden the Canyon and wasn't in love with it. Good bike but the love wasn't there

Know nothing about the other to be fair but wouldn't base a purchase on a thrown in bike fit at all
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Hi,

I'm buying a new bike pretty soon and after lots of reading and short test rides I've narrowed it down to 3 (all with Ultegra):-

Canyon Aeroad
    Pros - cheapest of the bunch
    Cons - can't test ride from a shop; will have to pay extra for a fit.

Specialized Venge
    Pros - feels like the nippy-est (could've been the space I had to test it); I've had good experice with Specialized before.
    Cons - will have to pay extra for a fit; most expensive of the bunch; I'm not much of a climber anyway but I hear this will be the least comfortable on climbs.

Argon 18 Nitrogen
    Pros - will get a full bike fit; feels very stiff; apparently the most aero of the bunch.
    Cons - not many reviews; don't know many owners; price-wise it is not that much cheaper than the Venge.

Has anyone had experience with the above 3? If so, would you be kind enough to share your thoughts?

Most of my rides are flat or rolling, fast training rides.

Thanks.

Have you tried the Merida Reacto? It comes in various standards and with full Ultegra on some such as the 5000. Buy from France and the 5000 comes in at £1750 delivered as opposed to the £2000 here. As your budget is higher still, go for the DA Ltd with Dura Ace (£3,500 from the UK cheaper from France) and upgrade the brakes to Ultegra and get some decent wheels with the huge money you saved. Don't read too much into the reviews of the Reacto which all moan about the OE Tektro brakes, as other than that, it is a very quick aero bike with decent levels of comfort.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Hindmost
    I went for the Venge. No regrets whatsoever. Brest bike I've ever ridden and wouldn't change it even if i won the lottery

Ridden the Canyon and wasn't in love with it. Good bike but the love wasn't there

Know nothing about the other to be fair but wouldn't base a purchase on a thrown in bike fit at all

Thanks. Venge is looking like the one so far but I still wouldn't mind trying an Aeroad if I get the chance.

I wouldn't base a purchase on a fit - I was just listing any pros and cons I could think of.
    Have you tried the Merida Reacto? It comes in various standards and with full Ultegra on some such as the 5000. Buy from France and the 5000 comes in at £1750 delivered as opposed to the £2000 here. As your budget is higher still, go for the DA Ltd with Dura Ace (£3,500 from the UK cheaper from France) and upgrade the brakes to Ultegra and get some decent wheels with the huge money you saved. Don't read too much into the reviews of the Reacto which all moan about the OE Tektro brakes, as other than that, it is a very quick aero bike with decent levels of comfort.

I wasn't even aware of this bike. I'll have a look now. Thanks.
  • Hindmost
    What bike do you currently have?

I have a Specialized Allez Sport and the only thing I've upgraded was the wheels.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I had a look at the Nitrogen last week and it is a smart looking bike - I'd definitely suggest some time looking at the geometry... I know that with my body shape I'd struggle to get a decent fit on a sensibly size Aeroad or A18 Nitrogen. They seem to come up pretty long and low so to get a TT to fit me I'd be on a ton of spacers. May not be a problem but worth a check before you buy.
  • Hindmost
    I had a look at the Nitrogen last week and it is a smart looking bike - I'd definitely suggest some time looking at the geometry... I know that with my body shape I'd struggle to get a decent fit on a sensibly size Aeroad or A18 Nitrogen. They seem to come up pretty long and low so to get a TT to fit me I'd be on a ton of spacers. May not be a problem but worth a check before you buy.

Thanks for the advice. I was actually thinking about getting a fit beforehand because I hear that some frames fit certain body types better than others. I like to think I am 'normally' proportioned though.
    I actually found the Nitrogen to be very compact in comparison with the Venge and I felt a little bit bunched up on it, but it was very nippy. The bike would be for fast training rides and crits so I'm prepared to sacrifice a bit of comfort for a more aggressive position.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    I'd go with the Argon 18. Great bike and a much rarer sight than a venge. I've not ridden a nitrogen but if the build quality and ride is anything like my E116 it should be great.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • cc.cycle
    cc.cycle Posts: 29
    depends how long you want to wait to get the bike! I'd go with the one that you can sit on and get a feel for before you buy. I'd also look into the warranty you get and what crash replacement service is offered too.

If it was me I'd be going for the Venge. Although the Canyon looks cool and you get such a good build, it will just take forever to get it so I hear.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Argon 18 is the prettiest and most unique of the bunch. Buying the Venge seems like a bad idea considering the new one is about to be released so you'd be paying a premium for an outdated model. Canyon is fine, but if you order now you'll probably still be waiting months until it's delivered.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Scott Foils are awesome bikes. Very stiff but not uncomfortable. Should be able to pick up an ultegra version for sub £2k.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Id always worry about going to a bike shop to buy a certain bike and having a bike fit thrown in, are they just making that bike fit you, then again I can be a cynical barsteward at times.

I would personally get a bike fit then look at which bikes will fit you best, even if bought from a different LBS or online.

As for the bikes you mention, a couple of guys from my club have the aeroroad and I have to admit in the flesh it looks amazing and is great value for money, I had a play on one albeit riding around a car park and liked it but admittedly it was nowhere near long enough to have a proper go, maybe I just let the way it looked seduce me :wink:

I do like the Argon 18 as well although I have never ridden one, but they do look cool, the same for the Venge.

Have you also considered the Felt AR series or the Giant Propel?

Both get rave reviews, are vero aero and are apparently very comfortable too.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'm very happy with my AeroadSLX. No issues on long rides and it's certainly quick.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    I have an Aeroad all be it the older model and it is an excellent bike. Its fast, light and i find it comfortable and im not the most flexible in the world !!

IMO i wouldnt worry about not sitting on it and that putting you off. In reality how much will you learn from sitting on a bike for 5 minutes and taking it for a spin around the car park ? Unless you have an opportunity to extensively test ride a bike iv never understood this mentality.

The only concern with Canyon is it will take ages to arrive. The weather is then going to be heading into winter so in reality you wont be riding it properly unitl Spring 2016
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I'd get some better kit for your Allez frame and have a week's cycling in the Alps in summer and a week in Majorca in the spring.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Be careful choosing, I went past a group of four people at lunchtime who were on aero bikes complete with aero wheels that weren't working.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Be careful choosing, I went past a group of four people at lunchtime who were on aero bikes complete with aero wheels that weren't working.

Were you in a car :lol:
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I used to ride the Venge and believed it to be great.

I now ride a Propel. Very similar feel on the road and more comfortable over longer distances. Plus in September you will get some very good deals.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    edited October 2015
    I used to ride the Venge and believed it to be great.

I now ride a Propel. Very similar feel on the road and more comfortable over longer distances. Plus in September you will get some very good deals.

Ditto. Had a Venge back in 2012 - great on the flat though a bit lifeless going up. I too now ride a Giant propel and absolutely love it. Fast, stiff, flighty and goes up superbly and gains serious momentum going down. First time in a long time I have absolutely loved a bike frame.
  • Hindmost
    Thanks for all the suggestions. After spending time narrowing down my choice I don't want to expand it too much but I'm now looking at the Propel. I've just been to the Giant store and I'll be test riding one next week.The model inside my budget that's most appealing in terms of spec only comes in white. I know it's superficial but I do want something I like the look of too.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Thanks for sharing, Kloudy. I've been wanting a Propel with disc brakes, so this looks very interesting. Have got to like buying for Euros as well.
  • Hindmost
    Ok, I just tried a BMC Timemachine TMR01 and it was awesome - probably my favourite so far. Has anyone had experience with these or heard anything good or bad?
  • Olas
    Olas Posts: 54
    I have a Propel Advanced Pro 0 and absolutely love it. I was looking at a Canyon Aeroad SLX for a long time but in the end was put off by the lead in time and not having the bike for summer.
    Sizing I'm 186cm and a M/L is perfect
    Ridden two Madone's previously and the Propel just to wants to keep accelerating. Recommended.
  • Hindmost
    I'm trying a Propel after work today - it's the last bike on my list to try. I considered it because everyone on here seems to rate them.
  • Dan Walton
    Dan Walton Posts: 147
    The new Giant range is being launched this Friday, the Propel I'm interested in is almost identical spec to this years but £350 cheaper.
  • Hindmost
    Last night I tried the Propel Advanced Pro 1 and I loved it. Probably my favourite of the bunch. It felt very fast, light and it was relatively comfortable as far as aero bikes go. When I saw a picture online I didn't care much for the colour but it looks great in real life. I will probably go for this. Thanks for all your suggestions.
    Dan Walton wrote:
    The new Giant range is being launched this Friday, the Propel I'm interested in is almost identical spec to this years but £350 cheaper.

Where did you get the prices and launch date?

I can see the new Giants are listed on the Australian Giant website, but nothing on the UK one as yet:-

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bike-catalogue/series/on-road/76/
  • Dan Walton
    Dan Walton Posts: 147
    Umm, not sure if was supposed to be openly shared yet so I won't name them, but they had the 2016 brochure and price list in my LBS. I went in to see if they could try and get me an Advanced Pro 2 in a Large when they showed me what was coming soon.

Obviously totally unrelated and not the same LBS :wink: , but Pedal On have the Advanced Pro 1 on sale for £2.5k at the moment.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610

Aero frame + disc brakes = counterproductivity at its best
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103

Please. Actual speed benefits of an aero frame would be utilized by a minority of cyclists, many are bought for looks and feeling faster. Faster feeling bike with superior brakes - why not? And, technically, it's still usually faster than a lightweight bike with disc brakes.