£4000 dream bike

cc.cycle
cc.cycle Posts: 29
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
If you had £4000 what bike would you be buying?

The price could include the price of upgraded wheels and other items. Just interested to hear what you think is the best bike for the money.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,302
    You might be disappointed to know that these days that kind of money buys you a mid-high range bike, but nothing out of this world... top end carbon wheels alone cost half of that and a top of the range carbon frame costs well over half of that.

At a stretch, you can probably get a bespoke built frame with a top of the range groupset and some standard wheels or some high end wheels and a mid range groupset...

Alternatively you can wait for the sales... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I don't think he's trying to say £4000 would get everyone's dream bike Ugo, a lot of people would dream of being able to spend £4000 on a bike and will come up with what they would buy (or have bought) for that budget.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,302
    I don't think he's trying to say £4000 would get everyone's dream bike Ugo, a lot of people would dream of being able to spend £4000 on a bike and will come up with what they would buy (or have bought) for that budget.

I agree, but normally "dream bike" is associated to fancy componentry and un-necessary display of composites
    left the forum March 2023
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    You could get an incredible spec Canyon Aeroroad for 4k as long as you were happy to stick with either mechanical DA or Red 22 (which I would be).
  • cc.cycle
    I am just saying if you could spend that much what would spend it on.

Interested to know what people would go for.

As listed above with canyon you get a pretty good spec, interested to hear if there are any other bargains out there.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'd build something myself along the lines of..

Cannondale supersix evo hi-mod
    Ultegra Di2 (£900) + Powermeter
    3T finishing kit
    Wheelsmith Aero 38 on Hope Hubs

And then be too scared to actually race it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd do the same, except for DA mechanical and Deda
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    edited August 2015

Just bought an off the peg Supersix Evo HiMod, SRAM Red for £2600 (2015 model, reduced from £4k) which also has the swappable Cannondale chainsets, with both compact and standard chainrings included. :D
    Simon
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have used SRAM in the past but I do prefer Shimano.

That's a damn good buy! What wheels are you going to buy with the savings, though?
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Have used SRAM in the past but I do prefer Shimano.

That's a damn good buy! What wheels are you going to buy with the savings, though?

It's funny, I've used Shimano and prefer SRAM!! My mate was trying to convince me to go for the Di2 version, but batteries to change gear is just wrong! Shimano does appear to change smoother, but SRAM does seem to need less adjusting (unsure why)

I was over budget with the reduced price (had my bike stolen which paid out £1.5k).. so no new wheels... yet anyway.

Must say, SRAM Red 22 is a dream to use... it's great that it allows full use of all 11 rear cogs with both chainrings (by design).. although I think the Shimano also allows this with their "22".

It's a lovely bike, but surprisingly less aggressive and stiff than my Planet X N2A that it replaced (which I now know was a real go-kart / bone shaker!)
    Simon
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I'd sell you my Storck minus wheels and finishing kit for that... :D
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Volagi Liscio 2 with whatever electronic groupset that came at that price (depending upon £/$ exchange rate)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Something custom from Seven/Passoni or maybe a v.high-end Domane or Cervelo S5 but £4k won't get you the wheels or the gruppo. I was in a shop today where I don't think there was a framset in @ less then £3k and some were double that
    M.Rushton
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    A dream bike need not cost £4000. Bought of retro bike a Raleigh record ace 1948 for £275. It is just a fully restored frame set at present but once it is finished it will be dream bike.

Got a klein quantum recently for less than £500 shipped from the Netherlands. This is a bike I have lusted after for long time. Changing some of the kit to make it a bit lighter but I still will have change from your £4000 for both these bikes. A dream bike all depends on what you want from it. A rolling piece of advertisement for the brands you have bought just does not do it for me.

So buy whatever tickles your fancy and then tell about it rather than ask us what we would do with £4000. It not our money and we are not the one who will ride it. Buy what you love.

In fact my dream bike would be a pre war path racer but I am in my own little world. The really old ones go for silly money but are worth every penny.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited August 2015
    Amen, if someone was giving me 4K to throw at a bike I'd probably buy the new Cannondale Slate for a hoot.

But I'd actually use the money to source a 2012 Cinelli Mash Bolt or build up a new Mash Work frameset or search around for this.

Condor_fixed_zpsdk9siuqi.jpg

I don't lust or dream about a new road bike (something wrong with me clearly), maybe some bling wheels but that's about it.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited August 2015
    You might be disappointed to know that these days that kind of money buys you a mid-high range bike, but nothing out of this world... top end carbon wheels alone cost half of that and a top of the range carbon frame costs well over half of that.

At a stretch, you can probably get a bespoke built frame with a top of the range groupset and some standard wheels or some high end wheels and a mid range groupset...

£4000 will get you mid range ? based on what ? marketing ? When is a bike ever out of this world though ? Everybodys idea of a dream bike is different. A dream bike doesnt mean it has to be eye wateringly expensive. To some people the sum of 4k is.

£4000 can definitely get you a fine bike and will be more than anybody could need. Performance wise there isn't much difference between a 4k or 6k or 8k bike. A bicycle can only be so good after a certain price point. After which you are only paying for fanciness. The performance gap between components now is closer than its ever been. If you go the custom build route (or even used) and you play the game right and choose the components carefully, the bike you build could fulfil your every need and should ride like a dream. Your riding enjoyment will not be any less because you didn't buy a 10k super bike.

'Top end' wheels or frames can cost 2k (or more) but that doesn't mean any of them are actually worth 2k more in performance or satisfaction. When has a 'lower end' frame often only weighing around 200 grams more ever slowed anybody down ? If i bought 1k wheels they certainly wouldn't feel mid range, or even £500 wheels if they performed to my liking. 'Top of the range' or the highest priced stuff doesn't necessarily mean better.

To me a dream bike is a visual thing and it should look exactly how i want it. Regardless of price and marginal performance gains.

i had 4k to spend on a bike. This is what i bought

Hongfu FM066SL frame and fork. Sub 900 gram frame. £540 + £40 customs
    Dura Ace 9000 groupset £1000
    Campagnolo Zonda Wheels £240
    Veloflex Corsa tyres £50 a pair
    Latex tubes £16 a pair
    Zipp SL carbon handlebar £140 in the sale
    Selle italia SLR titanium saddle £100 in the sale
    Kalloy Uno 7 stem £16
    Ritchey Superlogic seatpost £120 in the sale
    Dura Ace 9000 pedals £60 ebay bargain
    Prologo bar tape £10

= £2,326 give or take. So plenty of change left that got me a Garmin and some riding clothes. And i still had change left. :)

I dont believe i could make my bike significantly better if i spent more money.
  • BMC Teammachine SLR01 (probably in the sales). Ultimately di2 with lightweight wheels- but then would be too scared to actually ride it!!

A custom ti frame with 10spd groupset might be nice as an all round+ winter bike.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,069
    Buy a classic frame and drop carbon stuff on it - just to wind people up!
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Metallic fleck two tone fade paint job on a stainless steel frame with deep carbon rims. Steel raked fork also

5 speed freehub cassete gearing with downtube shifters, & modern 130mm hub spacing, so something that doesn't exist in reality but you did say dream bike.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Everyone to their own but Ultegra Di2 on a dream bike?
    The change maybe efficient but the derailleurs and chainset look awful. If you're paying 4k for a bike surely you'd want something aesthetically pleasing, I'm a Shimano man but I wouldn't dream of putting that groupset on a decent frame.
  • cc.cycle

Just bought an off the peg Supersix Evo HiMod, SRAM Red for £2600 (2015 model, reduced from £4k) which also has the swappable Cannondale chainsets, with both compact and standard chainrings included. :D

Where did you find that deal? Was it the grey and red coloured frame set?

I find the way that cannonade chose their colour schemes a bit weird. I'd love a hi-mod super six though, just has to be the right paint job.
  • cc.cycle
    this could be a good starting point for a frame build http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/bmc-racemachine-rm01-di2-frameset-2012-p280275
  • hobbo31
    hobbo31 Posts: 107
    I got the Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 with Di2 for 3200Euro thats £1000 cheaper than the UK plenty of cash left to upgrade tires and buy a new Garmin and all the bits
    Giant Trance X1 2008
    Gary Fisher Cobia 29er 2010
    Ribble Road Bike
    Giant XTC Composite 29er 2012
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 2015
  • cc.cycle
    I got the Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 with Di2 for 3200Euro thats £1000 cheaper than the UK plenty of cash left to upgrade tires and buy a new Garmin and all the bits

what was the shop?
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974

£4000 will get you mid range ? based on what ? marketing ? When is a bike ever out of this world though ? Everybodys idea of a dream bike is different. A dream bike doesnt mean it has to be eye wateringly expensive. To some people the sum of 4k is.

£4000 can definitely get you a fine bike and will be more than anybody could need. Performance wise there isn't much difference between a 4k or 6k or 8k bike. A bicycle can only be so good after a certain price point. After which you are only paying for fanciness. The performance gap between components now is closer than its ever been. If you go the custom build route (or even used) and you play the game right and choose the components carefully, the bike you build could fulfil your every need and should ride like a dream. Your riding enjoyment will not be any less because you didn't buy a 10k super bike.

'Top end' wheels or frames can cost 2k (or more) but that doesn't mean any of them are actually worth 2k more in performance or satisfaction. When has a 'lower end' frame often only weighing around 200 grams more ever slowed anybody down ? If i bought 1k wheels they certainly wouldn't feel mid range, or even £500 wheels if they performed to my liking. 'Top of the range' or the highest priced stuff doesn't necessarily mean better.

To me a dream bike is a visual thing and it should look exactly how i want it. Regardless of price and marginal performance gains.

Latex tubes £16 a pair
    Kalloy Uno 7 stem £16
    Prologo bar tape £10

= £2,326 give or take. So plenty of change left that got me a Garmin and some riding clothes. And i still had change left. :)

nightmare bike
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Grill

Latex tubes £16 a pair
    Kalloy Uno 7 stem £16
    Prologo bar tape £10

There is so much wrong with this I don't even know where to begin...
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Everyone has different dreams. And much depends on what cheese they've had.

Dreams don't often reflect reality. My Swiss Cross is, pretty much, my dream bike though. Most of the time.

If I had to have a dream I guess I'd have a Colnago Master with Campag. Doesn't really need to be Super Record. In fact, I'd probably make sure I had a silver chainset. And, no to carbon wheels. I'd struggle to spend £500+ on nice silver handbuilts. So I guess it would be well within budget.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,001
    Could I get a C59 with Chorus for that - I might go something like that .
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    nightmare bike

:D Really why ? whats so bad about it ? The seatpost,stem and bars dont match so what ? or is it because im mixing Shimano and Campagnolo ? what a sin that is. What spec should i have chose then ?

At least Its not plastered with logo's (well not many) and the paintjob will not outdate because it doesnt have one. I'll admit my build was never intended to be a 'dream bike' as such but i reckon i did alright. I could of pushed the boat out abit more. I'm just highlighting what you could buy for a lot less than 4k. The bike looks good and performs more than good enough for me and thats all that matters. 8)
  • Grill
    nightmare bike

:D Really why ? whats so bad about it ? The seatpost,stem and bars dont match so what ? or is it because im mixing Shimano and Campagnolo ? what a sin that is. What spec should i have chose then ?

At least Its not plastered with logo's (well not many) and the paintjob will not outdate because it doesnt have one. I'll admit my build was never intended to be a 'dream bike' as such but i reckon i did alright. I could have pushed the boat out abit more. I'm just highlighting what you could buy for a lot less than 4k. The bike looks good and performs more than good enough for me and thats all that matters. 8)

You decry top end (heck, even mid range) framesets and wheels but suggest spending the money on expensive finishing components and a top end groupset (which does exactly nothing better than 6800)? Irony...