Nottingham

2»

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,415
    Spend a lot of time looking before you commit to an area, the last thing you need is to live in mini Poland.

.. and here's the St. George's prize for the xenophobic comment of the month...

Speechless... :roll:

I suggest you take a trip to Krakow or Warsaw or Gdansk any other city in Poland... you might realise they are much nicer, cleaner and civilized places than the majority of British towns and cities...
    Seriously, get a grip!
    Grrrr don't get me started on the Polish! They're always moaning about my underwear not making it to the washing basket or the pile of clothes I like to keep on the chair in the bedroom. And ok my parents house is a little untidy when we visit but there's no need to get stressed about it!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • I "officially" live in Chesterfield, Derbyshire ... In reality I'm practically moved in with my partner who lives on the edge of Hucknall, close to Linby and fifteen minutes by car to the City centre. The cycling from here is pretty decent, getting out towards Southwell and the Vale of Belvoir.

I like the city centre, it's easily accessible via the tram system, has a good social scene, shops etc etc.
    The roads around the city centre tend to be a little over congested for my liking, but where isn't these days?

I travel around a bit with work and visit a lot of the larger towns and cites around the midlands and north of England, Nottingham is one of the nicer ones in my opinion.

You just need to do ya research re "nice areas" :D
    I live five minutes from you then Philly8mt.

Obviously the best thing about Nottingham is it's only seven miles from the republic of Tankistan :lol:

Yes, I noticed you were a Hucknall resident. We have the broken Collarbone in common also lol ... I'm now allowed back on the bike after 14/15 weeks! How's yours?
    I've been turboing and had a couple of short rides out, but it's still sore. I'm no Tyler Hamilton. :lol:

Couple of twenty milers (which were a little sore inducing, followed by a pain free thirty miles today. Really enjoyed that one :)
    Still feels very odd day to day mind ... Oh well :)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    a Job hunter is asking me if I want to apply for a Job in Nottingham.

What Kind of place is Nottingham?
    In term of family life, schools, outdoor opportunity cycling running hiking, quality life....?

Thanks,

Back to the OP.

If you apply for a job in Nottingham, be aware that you may need to take £400 off the salary offered, depending where the job is and if you need to park there.

This is because Nottingham City Council charge everyone parking on work's car parks to pay for the trams, and at £55 million a MILE! these don't come cheap. Oh how I've laughed and smiled each morning for the last couple of years in the knowledge that I was helping to pay for this fiasco, whilst battling through the tramworks during my commute,

The older I get, the better I was.

• I live in Bridgford and the cycling is pretty good. If you go out into the Vale, you have a choice of flat in the vale or up and down the ridges. If you go further afield, you get to wonderful rolling lanes in Rutland. On the whole the lanes are quiet. Lots of clubs to choose from too.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Spend a lot of time looking before you commit to an area, the last thing you need is to live in mini Poland.

.. and here's the St. George's prize for the xenophobic comment of the month...

Speechless... :roll:

I suggest you take a trip to Krakow or Warsaw or Gdansk any other city in Poland... you might realise they are much nicer, cleaner and civilized places than the majority of British towns and cities...
    Seriously, get a grip!
    Grrrr don't get me started on the Polish! They're always moaning about my underwear not making it to the washing basket or the pile of clothes I like to keep on the chair in the bedroom. And ok my parents house is a little untidy when we visit but there's no need to get stressed about it!

Thanks for lightening the tone. :lol:

Grew up in Nottm but only return occasionally. City centre better than most similar sized cities, but didn't realise it until many years away. Got a fair few crappy 'burbs (including where I grew up) and a few scary areas, but also some very nice areas and villages around, just about the best ratio of house price to quality of life in England and never far from open countryside and the Peak District nearby. Too far from decent coast line though (as I still am).
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    a Job hunter is asking me if I want to apply for a Job in Nottingham.

What Kind of place is Nottingham?
    In term of family life, schools, outdoor opportunity cycling running hiking, quality life....?

Thanks,

Back to the OP.

If you apply for a job in Nottingham, be aware that you may need to take £400 off the salary offered, depending where the job is and if you need to park there.

This is because Nottingham City Council charge everyone parking on work's car parks to pay for the trams, and at £55 million a MILE! these don't come cheap. Oh how I've laughed and smiled each morning for the last couple of years in the knowledge that I was helping to pay for this fiasco, whilst battling through the tramworks during my commute,

Or maybe the Op could use the excellent public transport or cycle?
    ( I know, it doesn't fit your job/commitments/lifestyle).